It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not have religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If Christianity is correct the goal of people is to serve and glorify God. What if Christianaity is wrong and all life on earth is just a coincidence? If life on earth is a just a happenstance, there really is no purpose. So nothing you do matters at all. It doesn't matter whether your a Christian or not, in fact nothing has any purpose.

But there is a chance that God is real. And if you think God's real and you're wrong, there's no penalty. It doesn't even matter. My point is, why not have religion? If there's even a chance that God is real it's worth taking the chance because there's no penalty and if you're right you get to go to heaven. If you believe in God it's a win win situation.

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by AttackHippo]

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Well....yeah. But god holds me back. I cant do alot of the stuff that i want. The whole chastity thing is the big one that sux....and all the other things.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
"" God holds me back "

Is it chastity? he doesn't condemn havig a wife. he just don't want us looking a nud women or treating women like they are pieces of flesh even if they intice us.

Do you desier to be chaste, but feel its impossible?

peace.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

If Christianity is correct the goal of people is to serve and glorify God. What if Christianaity is wrong and all life on earth is just a coincidence? If life on earth is a just a happenstance, there really is no purpose. So nothing you do matters at all. It doesn't matter whether your a Christian or not, in fact nothing has any purpose.

But there is a chance that God is real. And if you think God's real and you're wrong, there's no penalty. It doesn't even matter. My point is, why not have religion? If there's even a chance that God is real it's worth taking the chance because there's no penalty and if you're right you get to go to heaven. If you believe in God it's a win win situation.

If that is the only reason a person is religious, they are defeating the purpose of it. If you believe "just in case" then you might as well either go to hell or cease to exist. Unfortunatly, I think that is how most people act today. If you get sent to hell just for not believing, but you were a good person and did good things your whole life, then that is also bogus. I wouldn't want to go to heaven and spend eternity with a being that has that attitude.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
This is all assuming, of course, that if YOUR God doesn't exist, then everything is a coincidence. You fail to take into consideration other views lacking belief in a God, but whose followers seem to be more fulfilled in their beliefs, anyway. Take Buddhists, for example. Or Taoists, even.

Personally, I'm not a Christian. However, religion is what gives me a purpose. If I didn't have some form of religious belief, I would have no purpose. Some people don't need religion to habe a purpose, and I'm fine with that - some people don't need to drink to have a good time.

I, however, do need religion. Just because someone else has no religion doesn't make their purpose on this world any less significant.

Do I believe in God? In a way, yes. Though, not in the way the Bible or Quran portrays him. I believe in numerous forms of God - one being the Force (or Tao), another being Iluvatar (yes, THAT Iluvatar) - as well as numerous other deities. I don't believe "just in case", however - that's pure idiocy. I believe because it personally gives me a purpose, a good feeling about my existance. I personally couldn't be atheist. This only backs up the claim that not all people are suited for one single belief.

new topics

top topics

join