It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME: Person of the Year is .... Putin?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
CNN

He is clear about Russia's role in the world. He is passionate in his belief that the dissolution of the Soviet Union was a tragedy, particularly since overnight it stranded 25 million ethnic Russians in "foreign" lands. But he says he has no intention of trying to rebuild the U.S.S.R. or re-establish military or political blocs. And he praises his predecessors Yeltsin and Mikhail Gorbachev for destroying a system that had lost the people's support. "I'm not sure I could have had the guts to do that myself," he tells us. Putin is, above all, a pragmatist, and has cobbled together a system—not unlike China's—that embraces the free market (albeit with a heavy dose of corruption) but relies on a strong state hand to keep order.

What gets Putin agitated—and he was frequently agitated during our talk—is his perception that Americans are out to interfere in Russia's affairs. He says he wants Russia and America to be partners but feels the U.S. treats Russia like the uninvited guest at a party. "We want to be a friend of America," he says. "Sometimes we get the impression that America does not need friends" but only "auxiliary subjects to command." Asked if he'd like to correct any American misconceptions about Russia, Putin leans forward and says, "I don't believe these are misconceptions. I think this is a purposeful attempt by some to create an image of Russia based on which one could influence our internal and foreign policies. This is the reason why everybody is made to believe...[Russians] are a little bit savage still or they just climbed down from the trees, you know, and probably need to have...the dirt washed out of their beards and hair." The veins on his forehead seem ready to pop.

I think this is an absolutely fascinating interview and report on Putin and Russia in general. It explains what it was like in the 90's, what it is like now, its economy, its political influence and how and why Putin is doing what he does.

His perception of our perception of Russia is absolutely right.. our media, our schools and our leaders demonize Russia because they don't bend over backwards to heed our demands. Russia being back on the international scene with more power since the 1970-80's I think it is important that people take the time out of their day and read this 6 page interview with Putin. Certainly he has defied American demands and interest more so then any other political figure, even more so then the Iranian President.

So read through it, tell me what you think, how do you see Russia in the international scene in a few years? Will the economy continue to rise? Will Putin retain power and ultimately truly become the next Tsar?

If anything, reading it will give you a much better perception of a nation we surprisingly know so little about here in America.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Great read, thanks for posting.

Putin has really turned around Russia, and people love him for it. I find it strange that it is widely believed that many of the people around Putin are riddled with corruption, but also widely believed that Putin himself is not corrupt.
I don't really have an opinion either way, but this is quite fascinating.

I think under Putin's guidance, as prime minister, his country will continue to flourish.

In western media, they always making seem like Russia is stirring the pot, trying to make things difficult, however I feel Putin's point about not bending to every whim of the US is valid.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Russia still has corruption issues, but I don't think I could name a country that doesn't .. Corruption was far worse in the 1990's. I wish an actual Russian citizen could give an opinion on Putin, and what they think of the "premiership", which I am having a hard time finding exactly what that office even means.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
While Putin does have dark sides and very authoritarian methods, the good he has done outweighs those sides.

The guy is highly disciplined and extremely firm in his resolve to help his country grow economically and to stabilize the region.

He´s been a good leader.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
From the report it does point out that the citizens of Russia do see him as "over" authoritarian, and more along the lines of a despot .. that being his desire to keep control of the Russian government. The next president he will most likely have full control over, I wonder why he does not just declare him self Tsar anyways. He certainly has the approval ratings, 70% or so, numbers our President would drool over.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Just another Illuminati publication praising one of it's own. I don't believe for a second that Putin is not one of them. Political deception involves doing some good for the country in public, while raping and destroying it from behind the curtains. I suppose it differs from person to person what we think these leaders have been doing. I've made up my mind about Putin, though.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What? .. Illuminati "praising one of its own" ..

Incase you did not know, Russia is at odds with most of the Western world.. Ohhh thats right.. just another lie told to us to make us believe that in reality all the differences are fake? ..

I can't believe that there has been so little intelligent conversation on this topic.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I can't believe that there has been so little intelligent conversation on this topic.

Thats because there is an ongoing discussion about it in "Breaking Alternative News".

And also...not many people seem willing to look into foreign countries. To make the whole world "easier to grasp", lets just label it all "Illuminati"

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Person of the year isn't quite decided the way you'd imagine.

first, they look at the global perspective, not just the Western one.

also, they look at who is moving and making the most cash, and also who is directly or indirectly in control and/or affected the most number of people. then you get into how highly the person is thought of by their countrymen, and then also by the global community.

then! they pick a winner.

I mean for example.. back in the 70's, a Heroin Kingpin, Nicky Barnes, got some honorary award bestowed by some big time magazine. I dont know if it was person of the year, "mr. untouchable", or what they called him. But he was right there on the cover in his oversized sunglasses and grey suit.

I thihk Putin has exerted more control over people AND money combined than any other man on the face of the Earth this year. He is basically getting away with a Carebear-style "under the rug" dictatorship in the footsteps of people like Stalin, though much more Carebear-style at the present. Lets hope that doesnt change and he doesnt become Anti-Christ, then that magazine would feel real dumb!

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Excellent article. Thanks for letting us know about it.

I found the article quite fascinating, especially Putin's view on the west in general, the U.S. specifically. He definitely seems to feel that the U.S. is pushing its views on every one else.

One issue with the United States is that the belief is that democracy is the only way to go and it must be forced on each and every country.

Yes, there are many countries out there that would do much better if they were to become a democracy, but some countries may do better with some other form of government.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Yikes!!
look who was Time man of the year 1938

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Putin has a lot of support in Russia. Look at these videos

Garry Kasparov runs for president of Russia, look at this interview he gave in the USA, it is clearly seen by the way he talks about his own country that there are hidden interests behind his candidature.
The USA cannot organize a coup in Russia as they did in Venezuela, so they got a presidential candidate at least :

video.google.com...

The Time Magazine picture of Putin makes him look like some evil vampire.
Also the comparison with Hitler - where did that come from ?
What did Hitler do ? What did Putin do ?

[edit on 20-12-2007 by pai mei]

[edit on 20-12-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

[edit on 20-12-2007 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
What? .. Illuminati "praising one of its own" ..

Incase you did not know, Russia is at odds with most of the Western world.. Ohhh thats right.. just another lie told to us to make us believe that in reality all the differences are fake? ..

I recommend you educate yourself. The New World Order and Illuminati have manipulated nations on both sides of war, Russia is as much an enemy of America as Canada, get a clue. Animosity between nations is engineered, and leaders are all manipulated by the same agencies.
Don't take my word for it, the Illuminati is just a fairy-tale and TIME magazine is totally un-biased.

Originally posted by runetang

I thihk Putin has exerted more control over people AND money combined than any other man on the face of the Earth this year. He is basically getting away with a Carebear-style "under the rug" dictatorship in the footsteps of people like Stalin, though much more Carebear-style at the present.

Lo and behold, you have people in America looking at foreign mass media and thinking wow, they really love this Putin guy, he must be saving Russia! Despite the fact that there are millions of homeless children prostituting themselves on the street and a military overwhelmed with abused and heartless soldiers who would LOVE to kill Americans, Jews, Muslims etc. Russian brutality is notorious, but people who educate themself by the media and not by reality don't understand what's become of that country. Just because it hates America they think Russia is progressive? Makes no sense. Russia wants to destroy America and be back on top, and Americans should realize who is instilling that urge in the military and society etc. Instead they have this fairy-tale notion of a post-cold war nation that is helpless and scared of us.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
And also...not many people seem willing to look into foreign countries. To make the whole world "easier to grasp", lets just label it all "Illuminati"

Or you could educate yourself on the Illuminati and realize that the U.N. and many outside factors are what REALLY control nations. Maybe do that...

And no, it's not 'easier to grasp'. You have to literally educate yourself on the subject and then you will no longer harbor your indoctrinate view of world leaders etc.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

I owned about 30 books on the Illuminati and related subjects in my teens. So you cant say I didnt educate myself.

When I came into my 20s, I realized that the world is a little differerent than the simplistic view of one group ruling it all.

I trashed the books.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I didn't care who they picked as long as it wasn't Al Gore.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Putin seems pretty cool, I would drink a beer with him. Congrats on the award.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Putin is Illuminati ? i thought he was a really high up mason, or was it a lizard man ? actully was he a alien ? or is it is it skulls and bones ? O wait, who cares. How come every one is part of a group ?

O well, congrats Putin

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
America learned a long time ago that it's more important to watch Russia's actions than listen to their rhetoric. Everything Putin's done lately gives the impression they want to regain their power as a military dictatorship - one that's opposed to Western ideas and policies. I can't help but wonder why the Bush admin. is so concerned about Iran building a couple of nukes sometime within the next ten years, when Russia has THOUSANDS of them on hair-trigger alert.

Truth be told, part of this is the fault of the U.S.A.. After the communist government lost power in '91, the United States should have stayed out of Russia's business rather than send an army of economists in an effort to revamp their economy. Time after time, whether it's Russia or Somalia or Iraq, the United States always seems to make things worse by trying to peddle its influence all around the globe.

I have to admit, some of what Ron Paul's been saying makes a lot of sense.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join