It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian court says baby can't be named 'Friday'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Italian court says baby can't be named 'Friday'

www.msnbc.msn.com

ROME - What's in a name? If the name is Friday, shame and ridicule, according to Italian judges who forbade a couple from naming their child like the character in "Robinson Crusoe."

"They thought that it recalled the figure of a savage, thus creating a sense of inferiority and failing to guarantee the boy the necessary decorum," the couple's lawyer, Paola Rossi, said Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well with all the pressing matters in this world, this one has to be ranked Way up there. I'm very interested of opinions about this.

Here in the states you can name your kids any crazy name it seems, when I was a teenagers I knew a brother and sister one was named Ima and her brother was named Ura, well thats all good I guess, but there last name was Pig!!!!

True story

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-12-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Thats stupid. Those parents should have the right to name their kid whatever they want, Friday, Saturday, Noday, whatever. Frankly, when I think of Friday as a name, all that comes to mind is the end of the week.

BTW, interesting names, Ima Ura...those kids must have hated their parents when they got older.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
well Friday is a good name (for some people) but i don't think its a good name for a boy!
and parents do have to really think hard before naming a children! it could scar them for life! we humans can be so cruel when we're young

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This could very well be apocryphal but I once had a guy who grew up in the southern USA tell me that he had gone to elementary school with a girl who was named "Chlamydia".

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well, it apparently is alright in Italy to name a kid after Sunday.

Domingo, Dominico is a very popular name.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Can the courts really tell you what you can and cannot name your child in this day and age?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Maybe it was to pay homage to Detective Joe Friday

Who knows, maybe the baby looked like him.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Silly laws hay, we think the Biblical laws are outdated and yet people make their own as they go along and make things like this seem even older than the Bible as a standard moral ground. There should be a court system against stupid court systems.

apc

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

The parents must have had a thing against school teachers.

Rossi said the court, which upheld a previous ruling made in June, also ordered the boy to be named Gregorio after the saint on whose day he was born.

Absolutely amazing. Although not terribly surprising. Y is only sometimes a vowell.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by apc]

new topics

top topics

join