It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars:No One Alive Today Will Ever See This Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!

This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

Source:www.hoax-slayer.com...

Looks like a good opportunity for the secret space program to make a another trip to mars. There's no way the government is gonna let this opportunity pass them by.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
You are a few years behind times.
this occurred about 4 years ago back in 03 or 04 and yes, if you had a normal inexpensive telescope you had a sight to see.
BUT to the naked eye, not much different then than today.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This would be a great time to invest in a telescope,which I planned on doing anyhow.Any one have any recommendations?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I remember when this happened. It was pretty cool. Mars was so bright that it was impossible to not be able to identify it.

Awesome!

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kenshiro2012

Oh crap!I always miss out on the good stuff!Oh well,I'm still gonna get one.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Im confused. I thought this was new news they had it on foxnews.com also. From what im reading its the last time this will happen in our lifetime. Im not saying this is the first time it ever happened

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kozz28

Well, there you go that your problem... listening to foxnews.

Just kidding.
Actually, from your own link:

Summary: Email claims that Earth and Mars will have the closest approach in recorded history in August and will be a spectacular site for stargazers (Full commentary below.) Status: Was true in 2003, but is now hopelessly outdated. Example
Submitted, July 2007)

What you heard on Fox was them talking about the email that is making the rounds this week.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
OK Sorry Im an idiot i figured it was new sorry

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
reply to post by Kozz28

Well, there you go that your problem... listening to foxnews.

Just kidding.
Actually, from your own link:

Summary: Email claims that Earth and Mars will have the closest approach in recorded history in August and will be a spectacular site for stargazers (Full commentary below.) Status: Was true in 2003, but is now hopelessly outdated. Example
Submitted, July 2007)

What you heard on Fox was them talking about the email that is making the rounds this week.

It's important to point out the probable reason why it's making the rounds. Mars is at opposition right now, its closest point in the last 2 years and it will be the closest opposition for the next several years to come. Just go out a couple hours after sunset and look to the east for a bright orange dot that doesn't twinkle. You're looking at mars!

[edit on 19-12-2007 by ngchunter]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Mars is darned close to earth tonight,won't be this close again until 2015/16 I think.

And what is more,The weather here is perfect for it!Not a cloud in the sky over north Wales(makes a change)!!

Can't wait until this evening to get out there with my 'scope and loads of extra clothes on!

Wishing I had a camera attached though,oh well that will have to wait.

Edit,a few hours later...Well I am now gutted.Its clouded over,and I only got a little look at Mars an hour ago,when it was still pretty low in the sky.

Bloody Welsh weather!!!
Curse!Scream!

[edit on 19-12-2007 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kozz28

GO DAMN!!

Cheers!!

I live in South East London, England. For the last two to three months or so, i have been seeing mars in the night sky....BRIGHTEST thing around, and looking SO beautifully red/orange.
When the nights have been PERTICULARLY cold (as they have been the last few bloody days
), with the air fairly 'settled', it (mars) almost looks white.

WHY has this not been on the news?????

They made SUCH a big deal out of it comming close a few years ago...

This one is CLOSER, and...... ** not a word said about it.

Have i missed some thing? in the significance of the LAST close approach compared to this one.

Thanx for posting this info, this explains alot. I've been REALLY wondering why its like that, and now i know

PEACE

AoN

[edit on 19-12-2007 by Anomic of Nihilism]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
OP, I am proud of your effort. And, though a tad late, it's the thought that counts.

Besides, you may have stirred some to take alook at our "sister" planet, and that's a good thing.

Besides, you learned something too.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Grab your coats and go out Christmas Eve night and Christmas night. Mars will be the closest and brightest it will be for the year 2007.

I well remember the beautiful sight of Mars in 2003. It looked like a giant pumpkin in the sky.

This years sighting won't be near the spectical of 2003 but will be a worth a look see.

new topics

top topics

join