It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ripped Off Yet Again!! Now My Thread Is On YouTube!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by redphantom34

I think if you had mentioned ATS and Mike in your video, none of this would've happen.

check out:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   

The crime you commited was claiming it to be yours..and deleting the comments we all left stating otherwise.I would like to hope you learned something.But I doubt it.
Sorry but I agree with Kleverone.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by redphantom34
i understand that you only want a selected amout of people on your site to be informed of the very important information you are obtaining,

Hardly the case.

The problem was that proper credit was not given to both the originator of the material nor to this website which was the vehicle for that information.

Had you done both, the outcome would have been much different.

Thank you for the public apology, though.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I agree with Masqua here.
How can you say that about ATS though? We are not an elite club that keeps all the info to ourselves.All are welcome to be members, as long as they abide the rules of the site.BTW..Plagiarism IS against our rules.Since you just became a member you might want to take note of that.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   

what you did was read it word for word as if it were your own research.

if you intend to do this for all your videos you could at least post a link to the source topic within your video (ie: reply to your own video with a source link) and put one in the "video info" section so that people can view the source for themselves.

then make a video with *YOUR* opinion on the topic and generate discussion that way to spread the word.

Deny ignorance, Deny Plagiarism, its intellectual theft.

[edit on 20/12/07 by Obliv_au]

[edit on 20/12/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
hi in future any of your material i use i will give credit to the author of the work ,but i must state the info which i do admit that comes from this site is brilliant is the most important and should be spread to the largest possible amount of the public and you must admit that using material gain from this site is an endorcement of the good work you and your people are doing.end of statement

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   

hi in future any of your material i use i will give credit to the author of the work ,but i must state the info which i do admit that comes from this site is brilliant is the most important and should be spread to the largest possible amount of the public and you must admit that using material gain from this site is an endorcement of the good work you and your people are doing.end of statement

I think the point is: you didn't give mikesingh or ATS the notoriety. so how could it be an endorsement of mikesingh or ATS?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

While at first glance that may seem admirable, why in the world would you need to "use" any work from anyone here?
You are obviously a lurker until now, and you must have seen the threads Mike posted about his work being plagiarized..yet you kept on with it, with no remorse till you got caught.Do you really expect us to believe you won't do it again that easily? I'm sorry..but I don't.The fact that yesterday you deleted all comments from ATS members, SPEAKS VOLUMES to me,as it should to others.Trust is something that needs to be gained.You,sir..do not have my trust.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
well whatever i say you have you minds closed the only reason i started a youtube site in the first place is to inform the public what is being hid from them but i sometimes i think i am wasteing my time as peolpe like you only want gratification are are not bothered about the truth if you did it would not be inportant to you about who put your work out .

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Nothing from ATS is being hidden from anyone.That is an excuse you created to justify in your own mind what you are doing.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   

well whatever i say you have you minds closed the only reason i started a youtube site in the first place is to inform the public what is being hid from them but i sometimes i think i am wasteing my time as peolpe like you only want gratification are are not bothered about the truth if you did it would not be inportant to you about who put your work out .

This is not about gratification either.
You yourself, "GLORIFIED " yourself as being the author of a work that was not yours..
And YOU SIR have the audacity to speak of Truth???
Talk about a waste of time.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Well that's good. Next time be sure to endorse properly by giving credit to the site or the author of the work in question. Then we can put all this behind us. Okay?

Welcome to ATS.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   

hi the only crime i commited was to try and inform a larger selection of the public the content in the sed video

That would be incorrect.

There are two issues here, one of legality and one of ethics.

From a legal standpoint, you'll notice that the contribution of each member here is appended with a small copyright & usage button at the bottom of each post. The link leads to our clearly worded Creative Commons deed with states (in the case of the post you used):

You are free: to copy, distribute, display, and perform the material

Under the following conditions:

Attribution. You must attribute authorship of the work to "mikesingh; a member of AboveTopSecret.com", and include the title of the message thread, Gigantic Alien Craft Photographed By Cassini! NASA’s Cover-Up Blown?; and this full link URL to the post: www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread301532/pg1#pid3496311. (Unless otherwise noted, photography and other artwork linked within member posts are subject to the usage rights of the individual owners of the linked artwork.)

Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes. This includes display on any website that contains advertising, accepts member donations, or any other form of monetary compensation.

No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work.

Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from The Above Network, LLC.

The manner in which you used the content violated both the attribution and noncommercial clause.

In regards to ethics, it's really not very virtuous to use someone else's hard work without giving them credit is it?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   

You ripped off Mike Singh. The man I represent insists on hearing bad news immediately.....

This is what happens to plagiarists......

Peace

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   

i do admit that comes from this site is brilliant is the most important and should be spread to the largest possible amount of the public and you must admit that using material gain from this site is an endorcement of the good work you and your people are doing.end of statement

Yeah it should be spread to the largest possible amount of people in the public, but that's not your goal, so stop pretending it is. If it was your goal, you would direct the credit to the ORIGINAL source. But you didn't.

You accepted compliments from other people in the comments on your YouTube video - you could have directed the credit there - you didn't.

You could have put a link in the description - you didn't.

You could have put "Credit goes to MikeSingh and AboveTopSecret.com for this information" at the beginning or end of your video - you didn't.

You deleted the comments going against you pointing out your plagiarism.

You only folded when it became apparent that some sort of action was going to be taken against you because of copyright laws. If it weren't for that, and had the owners of this website been typical website owners and not cared about it's members' content, you would have continued to proudly display the information in that video as your own.

That's wrong and you know it's wrong.

There's a difference between caring about the information getting to a wide audience and caring about the information getting to a wide audience and you being the one that gets all the credit for it. You clearly wanted all of the credit.

It doesn't help to plagiarize. If you care about information getting out, then let's all work together to get it out and respect each others' work. Respecting each others' work means giving credit where credit is due.

Sorry but your apology doesn't really cut it. It's much appreciated that you pulled the video, but you're more sorry that you got caught than you are sorry about what you did.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
While plagiarism is not a good thing I'm not so sure it's a bad thing in the case of unknowns.

Getting the information out there to millions on youtube is eventually going to make it's way back to the originator as it has here. Mike, would you rather have your material removed completely from one of the top 3 sites on the entire WWW? Didn't you think that sooner or later the truth would come out regardless of whether this guy gave you credit or not?

It only takes a very short time these days for something to explode but if it's not out there it's not going to explode. If that's how you want it fine but I don't think that's the case. I am in no way defending the guy but you have to be a little flattered and I think you are. Just be glad he's not Carlos Mencia, LOL!

As for SO's letter, it is commendable and I'm sure you appreciate the action on your behalf but it may end up that the content is removed completely and I'm not so sure you want that. I know the object here is to assign credit but as many of us know youtube gets literally thousands of these letters every month and unless you are already a very well known person it is much easier for them just to remove the content. Of course as youtube does get so many of these letters it can take quite some time for them to even respond.

If it were me, I'd let as much out as possible and just work at the credit thing ongoing. If your info were to become very well known I don't have any doubt that you would be the man both figuratively and in name.

JMO!

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The real question here should mikesingh come a ufo cult leader? There must be something about that guy.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

From a personal viewpoint I would rather have material pulled completely from the 'net rather than have someone else suggest, or allow others to believe that it is their work. I understand where you're coming from by saying that eventually the source of the material will be discovered, but to be honest I'm not 100% convinced on that.

The bottom line is a combination of law and ethics (rare combination of words in one sentence there). I think that we, in this community should be proud of the
ethical stance we take. We stand up for what is right and if someone tries to play one of our own we let it be known that it won't be taken lying down (well, SO's letters do). All that is asked is credit. As mikesingh himself said - the credit doesn't have to mention him - just ATS. How much fairer and un-egotistical can one get?

I wonder how many other web communities would gather together around a fellow member in such a considered, constructive and effective way. My guess: not many.

To redphantom:

Whilst I do not doubt you feel the need to get the information that you read here out in public think it abou it like this.

By not crediting ATS or miskesingh or whoever, you are limiting the potential for casual youtube viewers to find out more. Remember that the part of the thread you read out was only a part of a much longer and informative thread. By directing your viewers to ATS you would be truly enlightening them and allow the to find out more about a topic they are clearly interested. Who knows what may result from that, but no matter what, everyone benefits.

You - from your public service
Your viewers - from being able to find out more and engage in discussion on their interests
Posters on ATS - having their work put out there.

That'll do for now methinks.

peace,

MSP

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
We would do a pretty funny parody of Mike's eternal struggles called "War of the Woos" and get Tom Cruise to be play Mike.....

Seeing as I disagree with 99.99999996 percent of everything Mike posts, and we have sparred often in the past, I still think it is amusing that his appeal has grown to the point where people just can't keep their hands of his stuff.

Mike, I would bet there are dozens of examples of your material from ATS being used out there right now, the internet is pretty big place. Just take it in stride, try not to let it inflate your head to the point you can't get your helmet off and just keep doing what your doing.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Classified Antigravity Craft Using Back-Engineered ET Technology?

Please dont take this the wrong way anyone, im not trying to stir up trouble but i believe a little bit of sanity needs to prevail.

I knew that there was a thread a while ago in which Mike hadn't given correct credit. It's not always a diabolical act, i am in total agreement that deliberate plagiarism is a nasty act. But from what ive seen and read from redphantom im not convinced that he/she meant any harm.

Mike, you were given the benefit of the doubt not so long ago, i think we are all due the same consideration from time to time. Mistakes do happen, and we are after all only human, unless of course you are lucky enough to be reptilian.

Hope you can all take my comments in the manner in which they are meant, i am in no way legitimizing plagiarism.

Thanks mojo.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join