It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Sculptures Coated in Blood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Sculptures from the Mali Empire era have been confirmed as being covered in blood.
Scientists generally agree that it is animal blood but they were unable to say for sure whether it was Human or Animal.
The Mali Empire was a West African empire renowned for their wealth, particularly gold. Mansa Musa 1 was particularly famous for a trek he made to Mecca, accounts at the time state that his extravagant spending depreciated the price of gold for a number of years.
Interesting that the Dogon tribes were also part of the Mali Empire and it is some of their sculptures that have been tested and found to be covered in blood.

Ancient Sculptures Coated in Blood

Sculptors from the extraordinarily wealthy ancient Mali Empire—once the source of nearly half the world's gold—at times coated their works of art with blood, scientists confirmed for the first time.

Three wooden humanoid artifacts came from the Dogon tribe, while five from the Bamana tribe were sacred bamboo or wooden relics known as boliw that had animal shapes.

P icture of the Dogon Statue

Picture of sculpture

The Mali Empire

I wonder in what way these sculptures were used in ritual sacrifice and why they were soaked in blood.

Enjoy, mojo.

[edit on 19/12/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Interesting, Thanks for the link MoJo...The relics look to be effigy's, I didnt see what context they were found in though... In North America during the Mississippian era some caches(blades, Axe's, etc.), burial's were covered in Red Ochre, crushed/ground to powder...

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Interesting link. I don't know much about the history of Africa, particularly the region that the Mali Empire was from. I have to wonder, though, with the tests they used to find the blood, whether they can tell if it belonged to more than one person or not? The reason I ask is because if it was from one person, the blood might belong to a single victim, like maybe bathing the item in blood was needed to dedicate it to a god or something just one time only when it was finished. If it belonged to many victims, then perhaps the blood had to be applied each time the artifact was used in a ceremony.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
interesting link mojo thank you for posting it. i am into the dogon tribe. i really love pictures of their architecture. i also like their 'stories'

i do not know what others think about this site in terms of quality, but is has some good pictures and a nice outline.

link

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The Dogon tribe were really into Sirius weren't they? It seems they were convinced that they gained information from unearthy sources.

Maybe it is blood from the fishmen from that star.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
The Dogon tribe were really into Sirius weren't they? It seems they were convinced that they gained information from unearthy sources.

Maybe it is blood from the fishmen from that star.

Yes, they were.. Sirius is known as the "dog star"

I haven't a clue. Cosidering the fact that the Dogon tribe is considered "primitive," I'd venture to guess that the blood is from some aimal, but I'm just guessing.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by DragonsDemense if it was from one person, the blood might belong to a single victim, like maybe bathing the item in blood was needed to dedicate it to a god or something just one time only when it was finished. If it belonged to many victims, then perhaps the blood had to be applied each time the artifact was used in a ceremony.

Hmm interesting i hadnt thought of it like that. The scientists seemed to be fairly certain that it was animal blood but not 100% sure.
I was thinking that perhaps they thought that by covering the statue in the victims blood that they were transferring its life giving powers? Pure speculation on my part as i really dont know enough about their beliefs, time to do a bit more research i think.

originally posted by interestedalways Maybe it is blood from the fishmen from that star.

Maybe that's why that cant tell for sure whether it is animal or human blood, because its both? Fish blood and Human blood.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Sirius....Gold...Blood....what a very interesting mix for ATS-theorists

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Heh, I just automatically assumed it was human blood! I must have a sick mind or something. More than likely I was thinking of some of the central American peoples who performed human sacrifice on a daily basis, and that led to my assumption. I don't remember seeing in the article anything about it one way or the other, but the theory of a one-time use of the blood on the statue or multiple-uses still applies.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

Hey i liked your take on it, thats why i post this stuff.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Is it just me or does that Dogon Statue look Completely Phallic in it's nature???

When you have a phallic statue coated in blood I would think it would translate somehow to seeding the womb or something of that nature.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not too sure about that.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I didn't notice until you mentioned it, but he does look rather phallic, particularly his hat :p I'm not sure if that's intentional or not, but I wouldn't be surprised, since it was a common theme in many early religions.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Dried blood is actually a pretty good preservative. Native American bison jerky was often prepared by covering the meat with fast-drying blood to keep flies out and maggots from growing in it before it had a chance to dry.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
That's just gross!

Ew!

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Is it just me or does that Dogon Statue look Completely Phallic in it's nature???

Well, phallic symbolism was fairly prevalent within many primitive pagan tribes and religions. It wouldn't be much of a surprise if many of their images were as such.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The more I look at that statue the more strange it is.

I really can't see a face or head, just those odd long arms and short legs with that top. It kind of looks like a cat or lion face at the top of the arms but I may just be looking too hard.

And that animal statue is very strange in it's shape as well.

What are the statues made of?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I think I can kind of make out a flat type nose with a possible eye socket on the first statue. It does have very...phallic qualities to it.

The second one has the general shape of some type of buffalo. Yet it lacks anything protruding other than than the legs and strange bumps. Could it possibly an unfinished sculpture? If they were using the blood as a preservative, I don't see the reasoning in coating it.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Sirius....Gold...Blood....what a very interesting mix for ATS-theorists
and a Lion Prince.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

The more I look at that statue the more strange it is.

I really can't see a face or head, just those odd long arms and short legs with that top. It kind of looks like a cat or lion face at the top of the arms but I may just be looking too hard.

And that animal statue is very strange in it's shape as well.

What are the statues made of?
My first thought was a bull. Then a camel, and then back to bull. There are bulls with humps on their backs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join