It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTC Ground Zero: Steel Toe Capped Boots Were.. 'Melting'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
So for those of you that have never seen the clip before here it is:

(go to 2:10)

Eight weeks after 9/11, here is an eyewitness video where the witness says, “Steel-toed boots is one of the biggest things. Out still on the rubble, it’s still 1100 degrees, the guys’ boots just melt within a few hours.” Note all the smoking rubble shown, eight weeks after 9/11.

Another source:

National Guard Magazine article written by Lounsbury (excerpt): Firemen sprayed water to cool the debris down but the heat remained intense enough at the surface to melt their boots.”

If the temperature was hot enough to melt the firefighters’ boots, their feet would have been incinerated. And why is it particularly steel toe capped boots the lady mentions? Is there something attractive about steel to whatever is 'melting' it?

It seems more likely these guys are walking across ground zero and the steel in their boots is falling apart. Was the melting and heat an incorrect explanation for the reason of these boots falling apart?

Perhaps its more possible the steel in their boots were being corroded by an unseen process taking place on the pile? I had not really considered this much before.

Your thoughts? What could be the cause of these boots melting?

Perhaps there is a link here with the corrosion to all the vehicles and building materials?

A excellent example of (many) instant corrosion/rusting on vehicles from around the proximity of ground zero, its quite blatant in this shot the front of this veichle has undergone some sort of oxidizing/rusting process.

Question, How can we induce rust instantly in a surface, and/or what sort of weapon/explosive/incendiary or chemical could do this?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Im starting to get the feeling some sort of exotic substance, or material was infact used to bring the towers down.

How on earth did the inferno remain for months in the rubble after the towers came down?

Whats with the fused rocks?

.... no... jetfuel doesnt do that!

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Interesting idea... but that's a negative.

A reaction requires some sort of physical contact between the reactants. That simply isn't the case in steel-toed boots.

And, no, a steel beam that is hot enough to melt a boot will not necessarily burn the feet of the firemen (unless they are ignorant enough to stand there and let their whole boot melt away).

Although there are two main types of boots that were used, if I am to understand what I read, earlier. The melting point of one was in excess of 500 degrees - but the other was unknown (at the time). I have yet to do personal digging into the matter.

The steel toe is just the toe, anyway - it's a 'cap' on the end of the boot that is designed around the theory that it will protect against a heavy object dropping down on top of your foot.

And the cars aren't rusted or corroded. It's a combination of being sand-blasted by high-velocity dust&debris. It's not rust.

And there is no way of inducing rust "instantly"... not and still keep what you're 'rusting' in anything resembling what it was before....

six

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Insolubrious

Not exactly the truth. Per NFPA 1971-2000 which sets the standards for structral fire fighting gear, the interior of the boots is not to get over 111 degrees F. The boots are lined with kevlar batting on the inside. There are other standards which go into just how long before the wearer is to notice pain, prevent against 1st and 2nd degree burns.. etc. The boots come in different styles. Some are leather uppers. The nomex thread on these is good up to 500 degrees F. Others are entirely vulcanized rubber. Basically one piece construction. All have a steel shank that runs the length of the sole to prevent any kind of penetration. I dont think that they were talking about the steel toes or shanks melting. I think it is more like the soles of the boots.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Remove the paint from a car body and add moisture sprayed from nearby firefighting and surface rust will set in very quickly. There was nothing to suggest any 'exotic' nature in those fires and the byproducts were extensively tested to monitor any risks to the recovery workers. I believe carbon monoxide was one of the greatest concerns on the rubble pile.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Clearly the witness was saying the soles of the boots, which she described as steel-toed most likely to illustrate the type of boots, were melting, not that the steel in the boots was melting, as that would be too hot to even get near, let alone walk on, let alone work on.

What's been described can be adequately explained by the witnesses meaning the boots were partially-melted, on the soles. Nothing has been said that even hints at anything more exotic. It would require more evidence than some poorly-chosen words to make this any less mundane.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

It would be nice if some responders had kept some of their boots for analysis. Do you know of anyone who did?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Im starting to get the feeling some sort of exotic substance, or material was infact used to bring the towers down.

How on earth did the inferno remain for months in the rubble after the towers came down?

Whats with the fused rocks?

.... no... jetfuel doesnt do that!

Weren't you a major skeptic to the 'demolition' type theories or is that just a sarcastic post?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

It would be nice if some responders had kept some of their boots for analysis. Do you know of anyone who did?

No, or at least not yet. I think if there were any specimens left I would have some pictures to show you by now. But there are no pictures of this. Kind of like the molten steel and the plane that hit the pentagon.

new topics

top topics

join