It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Synthetic DNA on the brink of creating new life forms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Synthetic DNA on the brink of creating new life forms

www.washingtonpost.com

Scientists in Maryland have already built the world's first entirely handcrafted chromosome -- a large looping strand of DNA made from scratch in a laboratory, containing all the instructions a microbe needs to live and reproduce....
...."This raises a range of big questions about what nature is and what it could be," said Paul Rabinow, an anthropologist at the University of California at Berkeley who studies science's effects on society. "Evolutionary processes are no longer seen as sacred or inviolable. People in labs are figuring them out so they can improve upon them for different purposes."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.truthnews.us

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This is a big one. At least for me anyway as I deal with chromosomes and DNA all day long. How about this step in science. They will soon be able to make life forms of any kind with artificial DNA!!!! Think of what can happen with this. What do you think the government will do with this kind of advancement.
This article does pose a lot of questions. Is this alien collaboration or just something scientists on their own have discovered? What does the future hold for the further development of this DNA production? Is this an infringement on all levels when it comes to religion and nature? Be prepared is all I have to say.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Great stuff. I am more worried about corporations owning the rights to our chromosomes they have decoded though.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Great find. This is pretty crazy to think of all of the possible outcomes of something like this.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Didn't anyone see Jurassic Park?
We all know how that ended up. It was all wonderful till people started to die. This is a BAD idea its right up there with cloneing.
We don't need to populate the world with artifical life forms we need to take care of the ones that are here already.
I think we should leave the creation of all life forms to God.

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightelf

This is a BAD idea its right up there with cloneing.

I think we should leave the creation of all life forms to God.

Peace

i think it is fantastic, right up there with cloning and i think all life forms should stop leaving everything up to a fugazi...

just my opinion

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Yes, dinosaurs and mammoths and the like could be created. This would at least solve any food crisis, especially when you take into consideration this latest thread regarding world food stocks,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But would it end poverty??

Then you have the possibility of any built organisms escaping into the wild and becoming a major hazard to any or all existing lifeforms.

I can just see global headlines "plague of new bugs eats 8 million people".
But then, maybe that's what they plan to do. It's just a wild speculative theory though and I'm looking at all angles.

The funniest thing is that they worry about any disclosure of aliens due to peoples religious beliefs and the fact that there might be global upsets caused by any announcement of beings visiting Earth, yet here we are, playing god on a major scale and hardly a whimper or whisper from any of the religious groups.

This news is possibly only released in certain parts of the world, with very little coverage so that it will be forgotten about until someone declares they've made a T-Rex.

Like everything else, this will be abused by the military and used to make mega bucks in any way possible.

I guess one argument for it would be that no creature need ever become extinct, but that's beside the point. If a species becomes lost, and we replace it with our copies, it's not the same species even if the DNA matches completely. It's still a copy and nothing more.

Billions of years of evolution crammed into a test tube. You could call it time travel. The possibilities of reviving almost every creature that's been on Earth is endless.
Just makes me ask what will be on tomorrows menu.
Brontosaurus burgers? Dodo sandwhich spread? Mammoth flavoured ice cream?

I can see animal rights groups and possibly most religions crying out at this one. Most probably more so from the animal rights groups than anything else though. Religions only have there Gods to shout about.

It seems that no matter what we say, they will continue to do this work and it does make you wonder what else is in the pipeline seeing as this type of information pops up outta nowhere. Maybe we need a list of all scientific experiments going on rather than hearing about some bunch of bods suddenly announcing stuff like this.

There are lots of morals for this subject, but what's wrong, what's right?
Could it save millions from hunger or will wars be fought by engineered mega monsters?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Can't wait to see the monsters!

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
thing is this...if they can build them, they should be able to fix them no?

imagine if you will that your family has a long history of some genetic disorder or disease. wouldnt it be nice if they could go in and fix that glitch before you and your husband/wife get pregnant? i mean i have a nasty condition that id just love to make sure i wasnt going to pass on to my kids cuz lemme tell you, living in pain every single day sucks.

but, this could also lead to less desirable outcomes. the idea of "custom built kids" kinda freaks me out. i mean go into your dr's office and select the traits you want your kids to have off a bleedin menu?

but, the possible good outcomes are there too, i mean there is the whole possibility of rewriting your own dna to make subtle changes. a retro-dna fix for cancer?

then again, anyone else see "i am legend" yet?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles

but, this could also lead to less desirable outcomes. the idea of "custom built kids" kinda freaks me out. i mean go into your dr's office and select the traits you want your kids to have off a bleedin menu?

but, the possible good outcomes are there too, i mean there is the whole possibility of rewriting your own dna to make subtle changes. a retro-dna fix for cancer?

i wanted to touch on both of these.
the idea of a custom built kid bugs me out too. will it bug people out in 25 years though? the kids today are growing up in a different 'era' just like we did from our parents.
think back to the 50's-60's. the father was to wait in the waiting area, smoking ciggs waiting for the word. back then, would being in the room have bugged them out? these days, the father is almost always in there.

back in the day you did not have sonograms or if you did, it was because something was major wrong. these days, when you are prego you get sonograms on the regular....

is this the 'evolution' of modern medicine?
we think it is morbid but what about our kids? what about their kids? they are going to grow up in a totally different world than we did and it might not be so bizzare.

can it be looked at as a medical advancement?
---------

i also wanted to touch on what you said about cancer. just last night my mother was over and she told me that my little brothers best bud, who is but 14 years old just got diagnosed with hodgkins lymphoma. his lymph glands in his groin were swelled up. he had some sort of surgery, a biopsy and thats the result.
now, it is treatable but still.

if you wanted to have a baby and 'could' make sure there would be no cancer gene would you? if you could make sure your child was born healthy wouldn't you want that?

so it is synthetic dna.....strange for us...yeah.
that don't mean it is not the natural progression of modern medicine.

i think these advancements are fantastic.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

overall i dont think i could disagree with you if i tried honestly.

i mean, if in even just a couple of years when my wife and i are ready for kids, if i could make sure that they dont end up with what i have you had better believe i would. i wouldnt wish this on my enemies. (well, maybe one or two but not all of them lol)

but as to things like, custom built kids, or even new life forms, just because we CAN do a thing, does that mean we SHOULD do a thing?

dunno, think ill leave that one up to philosophers

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
hmm, what about creating a non-sentient lifeform that can digest land fill waste and convert it into methane that can be harvested and converted into electrical or thermo energy? i bet an artificial bacterium could do this. but such idea's are deemed lunacy and will never get that far. I bet the power hungry would use this in a heart beat, creating man-made plagues, and manipulating various forms of life....thats if this got into the wrong hands.......

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Why do people still claim that ET exposure would be bad for religious reasons?

That's nonsense.

There's only one thing that would be hazardous and that would be the reaction of financial institutions. Should they remain unaffected, then any ET revelation would have minimal impact.

Obviously if ET was sitting right over head as in Independence Day that would be a little different. But anything upto, but excluding that would probably only be front page news for a day or so.

Now, it may be that it suits some people to -pretend- that it would cause a collapse due to a religious reaction - (cats and dogs living together, people fornicating in the streets, Catholic priests being hanged on street light poles, etc.), but it's propaganda.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Maybe we need a list of all scientific experiments going on rather than hearing about some bunch of bods suddenly announcing stuff like this.

Boy wouldn't that be a nice thing to have. But you know that that is never going to happen. if we actually knew of everything that was going on experimentally, it would blow everyone's mind to pieces. I see workers transporting monkeys and other animals back and forth all day long and I have know idea what they are being used for. The only thing I can guess and hope is that it is for medical advances. But then again, how far will those advancements bring us?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsurion

I bet the power hungry would use this in a heart beat, creating man-made plagues, and manipulating various forms of life....thats if this got into the wrong hands.......

Do-It-Yourself: Virus recreated from synthetic DNA

In an experiment with implications for bioterrorism and the worldwide campaign to eradicate polio, scientists have used poliovirus' widely known genetic sequence to synthesize that virus from the building blocks of DNA and a broth of other chemicals......"Scientifically, the results are not surprising or astounding in any way," says virologist Vincent Racaniello of Columbia University. "The point here, of course, is that the DNA can be synthesized from the [genetic] sequence, and this could be done by any third-rate terrorist."

do-it-yourself virus

check out this article. This is quite a scary thought. It seems that anyone can reproduce a virus quite easily. I wonder what the "broth of other chemicals" are.

It is this kind of thing we really need to look out for.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
Why do people still claim that ET exposure would be bad for religious reasons?

my opinion as to why it could be bad is pretty simple. there are those out there of all major (and most minor id guess) faiths that rely on their holy book as the absolute literal word of their god. if its not in the book it doesnt exist.

so, take the christian bible. no overt mention of actual extra terrestrials. people base every aspect of their lives off the placement of every punctuation mark in that book and suddenly ET rolls up, steps out wearing a snoop dogg outfit and goes "sup?"

then suddenly their book is no longer accurate as like i said, if its not in there it doesnt exist, so for something to actually exist thats not in there means that the book is fallable. if the book is fallable so is god.

now, the number of people who would react this way may be small, but it may be HUGE!!

what would have happened if ET had show up back in the 80's when guys like fallwell had such huge followings that would do anything for them, ET rolls up, fallwell figures its not in the book then they arent really from another planet but they're demons. but, since they seem to bleed they can be killed and suddenly jerry's calling for war on the forces of satan.

ok so im reaching i know but id bet you know as well as i do such a scenario is NOT impossible.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
man made dna is all over our news this week lol..

just goes to show how far behind the media can be sometimes

new topics

top topics

join