It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famous non-extistent TV characters...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
This is what I do when I can't sleep...

How many famous recurring (but never seen) TV characters can you think of? Or any often mentioned mysterious places or events will do.

Off the top of my head, I realize Charlie of Charlie's Angels will be the big one, but I think Rhoda's doorman Carlton was first: Hi this is Carlton your doorman...

There has also been Niles Crane's wife Maris from Frasier and Karen's husband Stanley from Will & Grace.

The same category might include Kramer's friend Bob Sacamento from Seinfeld. I know there are more...name 'em.

The opposite I suppose would be Ritchies older brother from Happy Days seen in only one episode then NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN!!!

For places there's St. Olef in Golden Girls and where ever the hell Woody was from in Cheers (Powhoutin Mill???) He and Rose also shared a quotable Aunt Edna.

From Star Trek there's a theme of non-existant references. Whenever quoting famous things from history they give one from Earth, one from Mars, then one from wacky space name. Like...

Jim he's one of the worst villians in history like Hitler, General Umbatu of the Martian Revolt or Hraig of Kilmuk. They do that alot.

What else...more, more!

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Friends = Ugly Naked Fat guy

And Dick Van Dyke had Alan Brady which may have been the first. Though I think he was actually shown once or twice, played by Carl Reiner.

The Munsters also had a pet dragon that lived under stairs you never saw. Spike.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Wilson from Home Improvement?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
the teachers in charlie brown

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by insite
Wilson from Home Improvement?

Damn...thank you. How could I forget.

And yes all the adults in Charlie Brown. Good catch.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Also, Nanny from the Muppet Babies. I think that's what she was called.

Mr. Bell from Drew Carey...

Did they ever show Zack Morris's mom on Saved by the Bell?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I believe you're correct on MB and Drew Carey. Not too sure on SBTBell, though...

The absent, invisible parent and/or spouse thing I just realized has been a mainstay of TV since Andy Griffith started right after his wife's funeral. Single, divorced and widowed parents seem the norm don't they in the full house of 8 and a half who's the boss brady bunch dads? So there's alot of discussed but never seen ghosts on TV, unless of course you watch Charmed where the dead relatives do weekly cameos.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Charlie from Charlies Angels? Did they ever show him?

Magnum P.I.'s benefactor Robin Masters? (Who turned out to be Higgins, if I remember correctly.)

I'm trying to think of some more....

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Robin Masters is a good one! Was he Higgens really? I wondered about that.

Also ORSEN from Mork & Mindy.

Mork calling Orsen, come in Orsen...

The Big Giant Head from ThirdRock was ALMOST one of those never seen people, but they cast Bill Shatner later in the show...

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Friends = Ugly Naked Fat guy

And Dick Van Dyke had Alan Brady which may have been the first. Though I think he was actually shown once or twice, played by Carl Reiner.

The Munsters also had a pet dragon that lived under stairs you never saw. Spike.

its just "ugly naked guy"

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
But watching Malcolm in the Middle (guest starring Cloris Leachman) I just remembered a big one.

Phyllis, a Mary Tyler Moore spin-off with Cloris L.

Her husband was never seen once, not even on MTM. It was a huge running gag, and the precursor to the Maris Crane /Stanley Walker thing. He was supposed to be fat and horrible. Bad show, but still... imitated today.

So if you trace them all through influences like Rhoda and Phyllis, they all go back to Mary Tyler Moore Show (which had never seen BoBo the Clown) and she got it from being on Dick Van Dyke Show with the Alan Brady character.

Left brain meaningless historical problem solved.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The Watcher's Council on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Alister Crane on Passions(daytime tv). Management on Carnivale. Management from Dead Like Me(people Rube answers to). I shall try to think of more.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Mr. Bell from Drew Carey was actually in one episode, it was the one before mr. wick became boss, as for Zack's mother in Saved By the Bell, she was in a christmas episode, where they invite a homeless father and daughter to spend christmas with them, oh and the nightclub, I'm sure she appeared more times, but it's just not crossing my mind at this point.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I believe you're correct on MB and Drew Carey. Not too sure on SBTBell, though...

Mr. Bell was actually in the early episodes of The DrewCarey Show

Zach Morris' mom was seen in the episode where the guys make fake IDs, sneak in to the night club "The Attic" and catch Kelly's boyfrien Jeff cheating on her.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
Mr. Bell from Drew Carey was actually in one episode, it was the one before mr. wick became boss, as for Zack's mother in Saved By the Bell, she was in a christmas episode, where they invite a homeless father and daughter to spend christmas with them, oh and the nightclub, I'm sure she appeared more times, but it's just not crossing my mind at this point.

You beat me.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This is all fine and good... but how did this thread get on the front page of ATS and not BTS? I've never seen "General Entertainment Discussion" on the front page of ATS...

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
This is all fine and good... but how did this thread get on the front page of ATS and not BTS? I've never seen "General Entertainment Discussion" on the front page of ATS...

Bitch, bitch, bitch, that's all you ever do.

Oh, and to answer your question, I don't know.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy

Originally posted by lilblam

Bitch, bitch, bitch, that's all you ever do.

Oh, and to answer your question, I don't know.

That's all I ever do? You could at least give a *hint* as to what you're talking about there...

And how does asking about a possible technical error in ATS code bitching?

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Two TV legends from the same show:

Capt. Tuttle and Sparky the radio operator from M*A*S*H

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkeye
Two TV legends from the same show:

Capt. Tuttle and Sparky the radio operator from M*A*S*H

Those are CLASSICS.
Exactly! For radio guys though, Sparky was the one Radar talked too, but then there was also the announcer guy that we never saw. Radar would be in the scene then some announcer would say INCOMING. That guy too.

That reminds me of one though. Sarah, the Mayberry operator on Andy Griffith.

As for the other thing, it started in BTS. I think it's back now. Who knows. I missed whatever ya'll were talking about.

Another one (sort of) From Press Your Luck...the WHAMMIES. We could see them but the contestants had to pretend.

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by RANT]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join