It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

£1,000 Deposit to Visit UK Families

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

£1,000 DEPOSIT TO VISIT UK FAMILIES

www.express.co.uk

British families could be required to put up a cash deposit of as much as £1,000 when relatives visit from outside the European Union.

The money would act as a guarantee that they will return home at the end of their stay, under proposals floated by ministers.

The standard visa time for non-EU tourists could also be slashed from six months to three in a bid to crack down on illegal immigration and working.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12/18/2007 by Gools]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have no idea how this will stop anyone from staying in the country.

If you wanted to go to the UK and stay, then you're obviously going to be staying to earn more than any deposits paid.

All I can see is that the charges made by people who get people into the UK will go up. Others will obviously look for new routes in.

Is this a thousand pounds per relative? Imagine wanting 25 relatives coming for a wedding or other family gathering. It would be cheaper to leave the UK for the gathering.

I can't see this working. It does not make sense. How can the government afford to run such a scheme? A deposit like this must be returnable otherwise there will be no relatives coming for any reason, which will affect tourist figures.

So with returnable deposits, where does the cash come from to control any or all deposits and controls over these visiting people. Who will pay the staff to receive and return the cash and do the paper work? How many offices over the country will be required to house staff? Or will there be one central office where you can only pay by credit card?

www.express.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Where do illegal immigrants for Europe originate from? .. I thought most nations in the EU had very laxed if not open immigration for other EU nations, spare a few like I believe Germany?

Also, if the family stay, then what? .. It cost 1,000 Euros to move to a new country, not bad actually.

apc

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'd imagine lots from the old soviet republics. But that's just a guess.

I wonder just how many and how often deposits will be forfeited for one reason or another.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think this is aimed more at families from india and pakistan, two very large communities in the UK - at least they're the ones who've had most to say about it.

It could also be used to try and halt health tourists - a huge problem here.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This sounds crazy! I'm a brit living over here in the us. My wife is american, my son is dual. Is this saying that for me and my wife and son to travel to see my parents back in the uk, that they have to put up a grand. Thats a whole load of steaming horse poop. Unless i misread, in which case sorry! Now the US is part of the Visa Waiver Program, so technically, my wife and son doesnt need a visa, so i would imagine that this doesnt count. Hmm, i'm going to have to look more into this. My son lucks out either way,as he can carry british and american passports

new topics

top topics

join