It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's hear your opinions on these (hard questions about christianity and other religions)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'm no bible expert, but I definitely want to hear what you think about christianity (the bible in particular) and other religions. So here are the questions:

1. In your opinion, what exactly is a religion? Do you consider buddhism and daosim a religion? What about scientology, mormonism, or the falun dafa?

2. If God knows everything what a person is going to do in his/her entire life, doesn't that mean God doesn't grant that person any free will?

3. America respects 4 freedoms, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from fear, freedom fron want. If a religion restricts other freedoms (including restricting other religion to worship) how do you think americans should handle it? Or, if a religion contradicts the constitution. Example, Islam allows poligamy, the state doesn't, should muslims then be restricted in fully following their religious belief?

4. In your opinion, is Allah and Yahweh the same God? Christians in Indonesia call the God, Allah Father and miracles still happen (according to them). Shouldn't there be only one God? Don't you think perhaps it's just christians perceive God in a different way from the muslims?

5. Why are there two testaments, the Old and the New? Does/Did God change His mind?

6. According to Judaism, Jesus is not the messiah, in fact, one of the false messiah. They point to the bible that state their messiah name is Emmanuel since birth. What is your take (Christians) on this?

7. Why do you think Yahweh assign Himself to be a male?

8. Last but not least. What is your opinion on Matthew 27:46 (“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”) Did God forsake Christ?

edit to add this:
You don't have to answer every question if you find it too troublesome, but do try.
About question #2, I never find anyone that answer this question to my satisfaction. In the end they usually say, have some faith. But this thread is about hearing your opinions, so don't just say that.
About question #8, yes I'm aware of Psalm 22

[edit on Tue, 18 Dec 07 by Jazzyguy]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
1. What exactly is a religion? Do you consider buddhism and daosim a religion? What about scientology, mormonism, or the falun dafa?

To me religion is a set of beliefs and rituals that stem from the fear of death and the unexplained. Obviously separate societies produced their own sets of beliefs which explains why there are so many different religions.

I think Buddhism and Taosim are religions because they do contain mystical beliefs (karma, reincarnation for buddhism) although I need to study them more. I find them very interesting!

scientology, church of mormons are sects to me, but isn't religion nothing more than a very succesful sect?

2. If God knows everything what a person is going to do in his/her entire life, doesn't that mean God doesn't grant that person any free will?

See my sig..I think an omnipotent god and free will are possible as long as god isn't all loving and hellbent on enforcing good.

3. America respects 4 freedoms, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from fear, freedom fron want. If a religion restricts other freedoms (including restricting other religion to worship) how do you think americans should handle it? Or, if a religion contradicts the constitution. Example, Islam allows poligamy, the state doesn't, should muslims then be restricted in fully following their religious belief?

I'm not american, but I think religion should be totally separate from politics/state and any religion must cede to secular laws. For example if the law says no religious signs are to be exhibited by believers, then christians can't wear crosses and muslims can't wear scarves..

4. In your opinion, is Allah and Yahweh the same God? Christians in Indonesia call the God, Allah Father and miracles still happen (according to them). Shouldn't there be only one God? Don't you think perhaps it's just christians perceive God in a different way from the muslims?

christians, muslims and jews believe in the same god. They are abrahamic religions. They differ on the concept of god, who is god's main prophet and whether jesus was divine or not.

5. Why are there two testaments, the Old and the New? Does God change His mind?

They were written by different groups of people, at totally different periods of time.

He didn't. god is male because he was invented by a machist society. (men are strong and lead, women are weak and unpure)

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
1. What exactly is a religion? Do you consider buddhism and daosim a religion? What about scientology, mormonism, or the falun dafa?

It is an organized institution with a set of defined beliefs.

Free will is a joke. How can someone have free will when our choices are limited and the decisions we make are all too often based on circumstance rather than what we really want to do in the situation?

I really don't want to go there.

I think there is only one God-source. To be honest, I really don't think God could care less about what someone calls him. As long as a person is reverential and humble, what ones calls him matters not.

Oh, boy, this is another one I am not going to get into here.

6. According to Judaism, Jesus is not the messiah, in fact, one of the false messiah. They point to the bible that state their messiah name is Emmanuel since birth. What is your take (Christians) on this?

Jews are looking for a political savior. They are the perfect target for a one world dictator whos seems to have all of the "answers."

Post-pagan ideology. Personally, I think spirits, and God is a spirit, are sexless, but that is just my opinion.

8. Last but not least. What is your opinion on Matthew 27:46 (“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”) Did God forsake Christ?

Well, is that saying much different from how many humans feel? Christ was just letting it be known that he too had feelings of abandonement in relation to God, the father.

[edit on 18-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 18-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
1. In your opinion, what exactly is a religion? Do you consider buddhism and daosim a religion? What about scientology, mormonism, or the falun dafa?

It's assimilated information, that you act upon. It's all about exposure.

You are making forknowledge into something it isn't.

Married to more than one person is considered bigamy in the United States. You are free to practice your religion, but in the process you can't break the law. If you don't like the law - move.

I know nothing about Allah because the New Testament met every single need I had. Allah very well may be "God" - I don't see God leaving seed of Abraham with no guidence, but I'm not seed of Ishmael, so I'm not bound by any aspect of their faith.

5. Why are there two testaments, the Old and the New? Does/Did God change His mind?

Because there is an old covenant and a new one. In the old covenant you went to the temple to seek God. Now, the Kingdom is within us.

Bless their souls.

Lol I have no idea.

Read Psalm 22 in it's entirety. And then remember Christ's last words on the Cross "It's done."

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I'm no bible expert, but I definitely want to hear what you think about christianity (the bible in particular) and other religions. So here are the questions:

Well I ain't one either so....

Tis my understanding that the root words that make up the word "religion" are the equivalent to "return to bondage".

First thing satan did with me as soon as I was brought to the reality of Jesus Christ, was attempt to suck me into religion. "Church" or you name it.

Anything to attempt to choke the sap flowing into you from the vine.

If he knows exactly what someone is going to do and out of his love and respect for them, allows them the freedom to do it. Isn't that free will?

If he were to force you to do or not to do, wouldn't that be different? Just because something knows what you will do, wouldn't take away your free will to go and do it now would it?

If the carnal man is in bondage to a law, he will then resort to being privately wicked rather than openly wicked. Tis the problem with religion.

So really all one would do is clean the outward appearance.

4. In your opinion, is Allah and Yahweh the same God?

In the literal sense, NO. Of course proving that to those poor blind souls is well, only by the grace of GOD will that take place.

I understand that Arab christians call the creator by 'Allah', in the same way we use the generic term 'GOD' most of the time.
One could refer to GOD and be referring to satan and another could refer to GOD and be referring to Jesus Christ. It's all in who their daddy is.

Don't you think perhaps it's just christians perceive God in a different way from the muslims?

If one does a small examination of the character of Jehovah in the bible vs the Allah of the quran. You could come to the conclusion fairly easily that they ain't the same person.

It's my understanding that the old testament set in motion a standard of perfection which then out of it would come Jesus Christ, who would fulfill that standard and purchase the world back.

Emmanuel means 'God with us'. Surely "Christ in us the hope of glory" is "God with us". Jesus means "Jehovah is Salvation".

They have been blinded in part concerning the reality of him. Yet if any man is thirsty go to him and drink.

He is what he is.

He probably felt for an instant the same thing those who have forsaken him will feel for eternity.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

1. What exactly is a religion?

A personal or institutionalized system grounded in the belief and/or worship of a supernatural power(s) regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

Do you consider buddhism and daosim a religion? What about scientology, mormonism, or the falun dafa?

To some, they certainly must be; but to others, not.

And for me, personally – the closest thing I can claim to religion in my life is music. If it is classified as a religion for me, then I am rather devout, you might say.

No. It simply means that our free-will (the opportunity to choose) is currently within the bounds of what we call ‘space-time’ and GOD is outside of space-time. Knowing is not the same thing as deciding,

3. America respects 4 freedoms, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom from fear, freedom fron want.

Supposedly.
At least that is what the Constitution states.

Presently, I see freedom of speech as being the least infringed upon but even that stands in jeopardy these days; and increasingly so.

Freedom of religion is a muddy arena; a constant battle on the individual level and in communities.

Freedom from fear is a JOKE and not a funny one, at all! How can America be ‘fighting the war against terror’ yet claim to be free from fear?

Blatant and dangerous HYPOCRISY.

Freedom from want? Right. Why, then, are there people who are hungry and without a roof over their head? Another sick JOKE.

If a religion restricts other freedoms (including restricting other religion to worship) how do you think americans should handle it?

If the Constitution were upheld and the law carried out by the President – which, BTW, is part of the legal job description of the Chief Executive – that question would be a pointless one.

To be an American has nothing to do with religion – it is all about the Constitution upon which this country was founded; albeit a foundation which the leaders are not presently standing upon, with even slightly solid footing at this point in time.

Or, if a religion contradicts the constitution. Example, Islam allows poligamy, the state doesn't, should muslims then be restricted in fully following their religious belief?

What do you mean by ‘the state doesn’t?’ Do you mean a specific state in the union? Or the Federal Government, proper?

Read the Constitution.

If a state has already put a particular law into effect, then the Federal Government is not to enact any laws contra-wise.

These are the things which the states are prohibited from legislating:

Section 10 - Powers prohibited of States
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.
No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.
No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Amendment 10 is as follows:

Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People.
Ratified 12/15/1791.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

I don’t know the marriage laws of every single state in the union. I was under the impression that it was Mormonism in which the polygamy issue most often came into conflict.

As far as Muslims (or any other members of any particular faith or religion) being allowed to practice their religion freely; as long as state and federal laws are not broken, then there should be absolutely no limitations imposed whatsoever. For any religion or person or whatever. Period.

4. In your opinion, is Allah and Yahweh the same God?

Who is ‘Yahweh?’ As far as I know, there is but ONE GOD.

Christians in Indonesia call the God, Allah Father and miracles still happen (according to them).

GOD is not a name but a title. It means something along the lines of ‘the one who is in charge’ or even ‘THE BOSS.’ Allah is just the word ‘GOD’ in another language; the language of Islam.

Shouldn't there be only one God?

It certainly makes sense according to the idea of order and simplicity. And as far as I know, as I said, there is but ONE GOD.

Don't you think perhaps it's just christians perceive God in a different way from the muslims?

Not really. I think it is more of a cultural and linguistic barrier than anything else. That, and also ignorance for which remedies are not often or earnestly sought. In other words – prejudice and separatism and even bigotry. As well as the ubiquitous egocentric nature of most human beings.

That is not something easily explained in 10,000 words or less. If you truly desire to know the answer to that, then read the bible. Otherwise, it shouldn’t matter to you. Not to be rude, but it is something discussed to the point of exhaustion in many places on the internet, as well. Let’s not go there if we don’t have to; at least not in this thread. You are asking for MAJOR derailment with that question.

6. According to Judaism, Jesus is not the messiah, in fact, one of the false messiah.

From what I understand, according to Judaism, Jesus was either a prophet or a madman. Or just a nobody. The title Messiah doesn’t even fit into the equation. I am not sure that they even employ the concept of ‘false messiah’ – I think that is more of a Christian idea. They had ‘failed’ Messiahs, however. Several.

They point to the bible that state their messiah name is Emmanuel since birth.

I’ve never heard a Jew claim that. In fact, the name of Messiah is left open; the predominant belief, at least in the orthodox realm, seems to be that there is the potential for Messiah in every generation; the soul of Messiah is held by GOD until the time is right (according to GOD) to send that soul down to a waiting body. They place a far different set of criteria upon Messiah than Christianity does.

What is your take (Christians) on this?

I’m not a Christian.

Who is ‘Yahweh?’

It was Eli that Jesus was calling out to – Elijah. The Charioteer - the angel/reaper who was to come and accompany the soul out of the body. And no one forsook or stood anyone up - Eli wasn't even late - but surely every minute seemed like an hour to Jesus on the cross. And in the moments just before death - especially a painful torturous death, both worlds (the seen and the unseen) become unreal, hazy, and indistinct; therefore things become rather confusing for at least those few moments.

Besides that, those words were actually first written in Psalm 22:2 and the word was El instead of Eli, initially. The Psalmist's entreaty was toward the long time that was still ahead as far as GOD's help being nigh.

And probably that's how Jesus felt. After all, he had nails through his forearms and a big spike through his ankle bones and was fighting for every breath due to the position of his body making it almost impossible to breathe. And yet the body involuntarily makes every effort to breathe 20 or so times every minute no matter what...until the heart quits beating.

If you've ever been in any situation of dire pain and/or misery, then you might can empathize with his state of mind in those last few minutes of his life. And so even if you don't believe Jesus was a real person or whatever....thousands of people died in that very same manner as I just described. In the bible it was short for Jesus but often victims who were 'hung' on crosses often lasted a full day and often more than one; sometimes two or three.

Empathy is a good thing to have....regardless.

new topics

top topics

join