It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wiccan Yule Wreath Vandalized

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It's not about having a sense of humor. What your statement implied was that atheists get wasted for Christmas. That is not in good taste.

Now, please answer my question? WHY do you think it's in bad taste? It is a pentacle with a wreath surrounding it. What's the problem you have with it being next to a Nativity scene? Don't just disapprove, please state why.

P.S. - Anger? Where do you get I was angry? Annoyed perhaps and I thought it was in bad taste, but angry? No.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
It's not about having a sense of humor. What your statement implied was that atheists get wasted for Christmas. That is not in good taste.

Forest Lady, please re-read the above. It IS about a sense of humor.

Now, please answer my question? WHY do you think it's in bad taste? It is a pentacle with a wreath surrounding it. What's the problem you have with it being next to a Nativity scene?

Because well, a pentacle has NOTHING to do with the Nativity. I would equally object to parking a late model Ferrari behind the Nativity scene or adorning it with "bling", gangsta rap style. I'm also very much against turning the figurines in the scene into Pez dispensers. Some things just don't go well with each other. Like milk and cucumbers. So please no pentacle there.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

What does everyone think?

I am appalled!
How ugly is that?!

1. What about the 5-pointed star that the vast majority of christians top their murdered little pine tree with every year? A pentacle is a pentacle, the way I see it. Really just a geometric figure, when you get to the simplest categorization!
    Demonic tree-topping hypocrisy!

2. AND IF the Wiccans, or ANY OTHERS, aren’t granted the same courtesy and privileges as the rest, then my personal solution would be the same as if I were teaching kindergarden: if THIS ONE is prohibited then ALL are prohibited. IF all are okay then that means ALL are okay.
    Or as my dear mom would say:
    What is good for the goose is good for the gander!

3. I think it is fine and wonderful to have a civic-oriented/hosted public place to share with one another our own preferred flavor of winter solstice festivities! I would like to see more variety and infinite tolerance and I think we would all have a grand time in the end and learn more about each other and in the process, learn to love our neighbors as we ought to!

I am of a mind to defend my own and everyone else’s freedoms in this country – as was intended by our brave and wise forefathers….but I see increasing evidence that certain groups are misinterpreting the idea of religious freedom! Perhaps the idea of ‘religious tolerance’ might be more easily understood…not as what GOD wants (theirs, mine, or anyone else’s) but rather as what the CONSTITUTION says is LAW.

If christians can’t be tolerant toward others then they certainly shouldn’t expect to be given what they themselves do not grant to others. We left England for this VERY reason....no one remembers...

I love Jesus and I trust GOD and I believe all things are pure because GOD made us all....but I abhor christianity, as an institutional entity more and more every day!!!

I would rather be a FREE American than any type of 'christian.' I don't need too many labels for myself, anyway. I prefer peace signs, anyway.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
You are forgetting that we Pagans have just as much of a right to celebrate the holiday season as anyone else. We were celebrating Winter Solstice long before Christianity. Also, Christians took our holiday and Christianized it. If anything, we have even more of a right to display our Yule decorations.
I don't hear any Pagans objecting to a Nativity scene next to our wreath. I think it promotes interfaith understanding. I guess you think that's not a good thing?

BTW, bad taste is never humorous. I will respectfully submit that you are on the edge of trolling, in this thread. As someone pointed out, the point of this thread is not to bash.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Forestlady and QueenAnnie you are the best, and yes been a pagan is beautiful.

I respect both of you for your ideas and well thought post and threads.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creedo
So true...

*sigh*

If only John Lennon's "Imagine" would come true.

We are working on it, my dear. FERVENTLY.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I'm not sure we ever learned the lesson Hitler brought to us.

Well...no. I don't think it is the one that we thought it was, either. Another one that we are working on. FERVENTLY.

Pray for us all.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

You are forgetting that we Pagans have just as much of a right to celebrate the holiday season as anyone else.

I never said you didn't have this right. I'm puzzled as to how you got this notion. Celebrate all you want.

We were celebrating Winter Solstice long before Christianity. Also, Christians took our holiday and Christianized it. If anything, we have even more of a right to display our Yule decorations.

Again, please do display the Yule or whatever it is that you like, but it doesn't have to be next to Nativity. Please read my Ferrari comment above.

I don't hear any Pagans objecting to a Nativity scene next to our wreath.

OK. So they don't.

I will respectfully submit that you are on the edge of trolling, in this thread.

I fail to see why. I expresseed myself that the Yule is most welcomed in Holiday season but in my humble opinion does not belong on/at/near the Nativity scene, and now you wish to censor me?

As someone pointed out, the point of this thread is not to bash.

I never bashed anybody. You might have not gotten my joke regarding the atheists, but that's just it, a joke. I never bashed the Yule. You are really a very touchy individual, I must say.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Let the displays represent the people. If 99% of the community recognize Christmas let 99% of the displays celebrate it.

Done....

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Let the displays represent the people. If 99% of the community recognize Christmas let 99% of the displays celebrate it.

Done....

Wait, are you proposing an actual quota
Please comment.
Who's gonna count wreaths vs crosses??? It's just weird.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
So, Buddha, if there was a mass celebration of the Winter Solstice, I assume you wouldn't be "offended" then, eh?

No, and I wouldn't be hanging crosses around on that occasion either.

What about Rohatsu?
...the Bodhi day?
The day of Buddha's enlightenment?!?!?

Which is actually December 8 but observed for the whole week of December 1 to 8?

During which it is upon the four noble truths one especially meditates:

1. The Noble Truth of Suffering
  2. The Noble Truth of the Origin of Suffering
  3. The Noble Truth of the Extinction of Suffering
  4. The Noble Truth that leads to the Extinction of Suffering.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
For some reason some people associate the pentacle symbol with satanism. It is true, as some have already pointed out, that it is nothing less than a pentacle that adorns many Christmas trees, and that Wicca has nothing whatever to do with satan. It is this fear of anything remotely satanic that makes me believe the vandals were Christian, though I'd like to believe it was just random vandalism.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Forestlady and QueenAnnie you are the best, and yes been a pagan is beautiful.

I respect both of you for your ideas and well thought post and threads.

I think you're pretty swell, yourself, my dear!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

the only reason i put it out there so often is that i see nobody looking at this highly likely scenario. it doesn't have to be some insidious conspiracy for it to be possible, a very benign marketing conspiracy seems to be just as likely in this case.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Because well, a pentacle has NOTHING to do with the Nativity.

Umm...a pentacle is a 'star,' right?

How the heck did the Magi find the manger if not for a STAR?!?!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
What about Rohatsu?
...the Bodhi day?
The day of Buddha's enlightenment?!?!?

Which is actually December 8 but observed for the whole week of December 1 to 8?

During which it is upon the four noble truths one especially meditates:

1. The Noble Truth of Suffering
  2. The Noble Truth of the Origin of Suffering
  3. The Noble Truth of the Extinction of Suffering
  4. The Noble Truth that leads to the Extinction of Suffering.

Well, fine. I'm fairly certain that not every buddhist would want to see wreaths and/or crosses or Hannukah candles right next to the Buddha statues and symbols -- even though I don't think that hey would mind, in the least, that other people practice paganism/judaism/christianity etc. Is this simple enough? Heck, in some cultures you are not even supposed to wipe dust off a Buddha statue unless you do a prayer/meditation first.

[edit on 18-12-2007 by buddhasystem]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

Because well, a pentacle has NOTHING to do with the Nativity.

Umm...a pentacle is a 'star,' right?

Quite a stretch, right?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Wait, are you proposing an actual quota
Please comment.
Who's gonna count wreaths vs crosses??? It's just weird.

Rrrrrrr...Don't take it so literally...

I'm saying that the 99% should have the right to their displays even if -1% believe in something different.

Yes, I believe a satanic/wiccan star thing should be nowhere near a Christian display. Cheers to the person that removed it....

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

From where you information about a satanic/wiccan star comes from?

I will love to have a none bias link.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
the only reason i put it out there so often is that i see nobody looking at this highly likely scenario. it doesn't have to be some insidious conspiracy for it to be possible, a very benign marketing conspiracy seems to be just as likely in this case.

Regardless - it is a very serious subject, as far as principles are concerned.

The principles upon which we claim our freedoms as Americans! It doesn't matter what the motives are...in the end.

When the wars were over and the grass was turned red from all the blood....and the sand all along the beaches sodden with unnecessary WASTED lives of young men......it didn't matter WHY or WHO started it all. By then it WAS TOO LATE.

We must never inflict such an aftermath upon ourselves EVER AGAIN.

Not that I am saying it is a reason for violence or aggression...it IS NOT!!
...but what I am saying is that it most definitely IS GOOD REASON to THINK.

To STOP and THINK.

ONE world. We must get along.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join