It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wiccan Yule Wreath Vandalized

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
May I humbly suggest in the seasonal spirit of peace and love we momentarily set aside our trivial differences and do something in the spirit of unity?

We could post stuff against the Amish.

After all, how would they know?

There was an Amish ring busted which was selling coke. If they do that, using the internet doesn't seem like a big offense.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Their persistence to have a government rule by a Christian view that the bible should be the law of the land and that everybody should abide by it, will strip the rest of the nation from their freedom of religion.

I will say this, and I have said it before, and it bares repeating again...

Those who think they are Christians, heed the call...ears that have ears, time to hear...if you want to be legit.

Look at Jesus' life.

Had he wanted a kingdom on earth he would have joined Judas and the Zealots to overthrow Rome. He was specifically against the idea that pseudo Christians are pushing down peoples throats as 'the word of God' - Its the word of Dog...plain and simple.

Dont like it, tell Jesus.
I know, he didnt do the kingdom on earth, because he made a mistake...(oops, he is fallible after all) and now he is coming back with a great big fire ball to wipe out all the heathens and force his point of view on people.

He is the schizophrenic Christ according to todays Christians.
Actually they are the army of the anti-christ through and through and dont even know it.
Blind sheep leading the Blind.

I can see Jesus now: He did not force change on anyone...but now he comes back, new and improved...part II - kick a** Jesus.

Sorry, this is old, and for someone like myself who has studied the Bible and religions for my entire life...its getting tiresome seeing. Grow up people, and make your own religion and leave Jesus out of it.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

There was an Amish ring busted which was selling coke. If they do that, using the internet doesn't seem like a big offense.

Nah, they were probably Mennonites. You know, Amish Lite. Good one, though. Just the type of thing I had in mind. Amish coke dealers.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

As for the current govt, you must be kidding. A bunch of capitalist pigs who are plundering the nation. Please don't put them on the same page as the Bible.

On this we have something in common, but the rest I disagree that a fundamentalist Christian Theology is going to be better.

Right now if you don't know by now fundamentalist leaders are in the ranks of very politicaly influential and wealthy in the nation thanks to their faithful followers.

That means capitalistic pigs also but under the banner of Jesus.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I told myself I was not going to reply to this thread due to the ongoing issues and conflicts between members. I am taking a middle-ground and responding first to the original post - which was the vandalism of a religious symbol.

Let's say that this was a symbol for ANY religion represented on that courthouse lawn. Regardless of who's symbol was vandalized, it was still an act of vandalism and that is something that cannot be acceptable. If a baby Jesus was vandalized, Christians have a right to be concerned and angered. If a menorah was vandalized, Jews have that same right. If a pagan wreath is vandalized, pagans have that same exact right. In no case is the act ever justified.

Members of ALL religions should be tolerant to this issue as if it were their own. It may be a pagan Yule wreath today, but tomorrow it may be something else. No religious symbol is above any other and vandalism of any form is wrong. You may disagree with this and that is fine... but I believe all religions should be tolerant to each other and thus equal in the eyes of a public institution.

Pagans feel as deep about their religion as Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus and other religions do. Nobody should deny any religion their right to be proud of what they believe in. And this goes all ways - amongst all religions. But yet, as we all know, we do not live in a perfect tolerant world.

Remember, this was a public courthouse and ALL religions were invited to show their symbols. All equally. As such, there should be no pedestals for any one religion to rise above the others as being 'better than.' If they are not permitted equal representation, then there should be none shown.

Public insititutions invite diverse religions to present their symbols because most have a major holdiay in the month of December AND to they do not disrespect any particular religion. This isn't about a single holiday, this is about the entire season and the diversity of religious holidays presented during that season.

On private land, display anything you want, as large as you want and in any fashion you want. This is your religious freedom. I live in Memphis and I am offended by the Statue of Liberation erected well over a year ago (merging the Statue of Liberty and Christian symbols.) This is on private church land and I must respect that. I may not like that statue, but I must be tolerant and respect their right to place it on their land. Likewise, I respect any Mosque, Synagogue, Church, Temple or House of Worship.

If you do not like the placement of your religious symbols in relation to others, you can ask for yours to be moved elsewhere. But do not ask for it to take presence over others and do not ask for others to be removed because you do not agree with what they represent. Somebody believes in that symbol and their religion as much as you do your own.

You many not agree with the beliefs behind the pagan traditions, or your preceived meanings behind certain symbols. If you don't understand, I can only encourage people to read and learn about what different religions are about. Don't judge or act without knowing what they based upon - their foundations, their beliefs, their structure. You don't have to agree with them, only understand and accept them. Clearly, pagans, wiccans, druids, shamans and nature based religions are misunderstood by many within major religious organizations. And likewise, I also see many pagans disrespecting Christianity and other organized religions in similar ways.

With that being said, this is an issue of vandalism - it doesn't matter who or what or why - what matters that somebody's religious rights and freedoms were violated. It was a pagan wreath today and tomorrow it could be YOUR cherished religious symbol.

I will not be posting any more in this thread - I have said what I needed to say.

I am an atheist and tolerant.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tvgraphics

Great post, this ATS if you want to share your views and opinions do not hesitate on any of this threads.

This board and all its forums is for everybody, you are more than welcome.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
as a pagan (thanotropist) i find this vandilazation both over the top and unneeded. why cant faiths of a diffrent stripe get a long sure i belive in my own personal faith but that dosent mean that all other faiths are outright wrong. i dont know maybe im more open minded than some.

tvgraphics

you said it best be tollerant and learn about faiths other then the norm maybe then youl be less inclined to attack some one for being diffrent.

[edit on 12/12/2005 by krill]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Just for everyone's general information:

From FreeDictionary

YULE:
Christmas, or the season or feast celebrating Christmas.

A little vocabulary goes A LONG WAY.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

No matter how well you spell the meaning you know that what drives many is an agenda against anything none strict Christian per bible interpretation.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tvgraphics

TVgraphics, that is one of the most well-written posts I've ever seen on ATS. Your post and the thoughts behind it, I think, captured exactly how I feel. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marge, I guess everyone should just be glad they don't live in a Muslim nation... Whoever hung that wreath probably would have had their head cut off.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I think you forgot that they will have the head cut off if they dare to put a nativity scene to begin with.

Just a joke.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Yeah, that too, marg...

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Great post tvgraphics! As i read it i thought finally a voice of reason in this whole debate. I would only add that the nativity too is only a symbol, nothing more, nothing less. And the wreath with the pentacle is also just a symbol. I can't think of a better way to honor the diversity in any city, for that matter, then to invite all religious groups to put up a symbol.

As for the vandalism, was it just some kids who did it for some reason known only to a Kid's mind or was it something more? The "criminal" has yet to be caught so we can't really know for sure.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone who appreciated my 'other' post on this issue.

As my user-name implies, I work in television news graphics. Our program(s) today aired a local story in which a nativity-scene Jesus was vandalized. The eyes were burned-out by cigarette. It is a situation that sadly parallels the original post yule wreath incident.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hi TV. Sadly, vandalizing of religious symbols can and does happen to any religion.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
like I pointed out before, the vandals probably hit the nativity scene down the street also.....they didn't care what religion the symbol represented...they just wanted to destroy....
It's those of us who are into this great religious debate over who's religion is the greatest, ect.....who is making a big deal out of it.

many baby jesus's are swiped from nativity scenes each year.....thus, effectively taking Christ out of Christmas...are we to assume that these are all pagan religious fanatics that are promoting their agenda? or could they be kids, wanting a neat doll? or maybe drunken teens having a good time they won't remember in the morning...

yous are making a big deal out of nothing if you want my opinion.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I believe that today in the news one city that had their baby Jesus stolen last year decided to put a GPA chip on the one they display this year.

Interesting.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
No matter how well you spell the meaning you know that what drives many is an agenda against anything none strict Christian per bible interpretation.

Too bad they don't realize that TRANSLATION is the only logical initial approach. :shk:

Oh well...I know not everyone has a severe linguistic fetish like I do. Probably a good thing, too; this world would be nothing but WORDS if everyone were even a little bit more like me. I think I'm sick.

jk

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Haha... GPS Jesus. Why bother? Couldn't they just follow the Star of Bethlehem to see where he went?

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join