It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Star Galaxy Black Hole Blasts Neighbor Galaxy (Pics)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Known as 3C321, the system contains two galaxies in orbit around each other. Data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory show both galaxies contain super massive black holes at their centers, but the larger galaxy has a jet emanating from the vicinity of its black hole. The smaller galaxy apparently has swung into the path of this jet.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a pretty cool article I found there is a video aswell if you scroll down there is more pics and such...Pretty interesting.Enjoy (And you thought all we had to worry about was comets)

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
chandra.harvard.edu...

More images and stuff here of this thing....Figured I would post it for those who just wana look at the pics

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I hope there weren't any inhabited planets in the wake of that stream; Or, if there were, I hope they were advanced enough to escape!

Thanks for the article, that's pretty amazing.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutrients

Well even if they were advanced enough to try and escape it..I would think they would need an early warning system to detect this...I could just imagine somthing like this would happen pretty spontaneously....
I dont think there could possibly be much warning at all....

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentinel 1

It's hard to say. If one of the black holes in our local system started acting up, I think we would have noticed. Fortunately I don't think we are at a perpendicular angle to the disk of any (relatively) nearby galaxy. If we are, I guess we should keep an eye on it!
If it were a direct hit as soon as the black hole let out that stream, I imagine it would be hard to predict it. If you were to drift into it, though, maybe you would have enough time to get out of the way.
This is all assuming, of course, that anything in the way was inhabited and that the life there was complex enough to leave.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I noticed you said "if we were to drift into it"....Interesting because the way I always seen "Black holes" was they were kinda like whirl pools swallowing stuff up not shooting beams or what ever this thing did....Makes me wonder if it was some kind of a birp or somthing for some reason....

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentinel 1

Not everything falls into a black hole at the event horizon. It's been a while since I read A Brief History of Time, but Stephen Hawking goes into it a bit. He explain at the event horizon how particles of matter and anti-matter annihilate, but sometimes the one particle is absorbed with the other being expelled. I could have totally bungled that, and I would suggest reading that book if you haven't, as it explains it much better.

Also, have a look at this:
en.wikipedia.org...

I think this is what is happening in the article mentioned in your first post. It seems that the other galaxy is being blasted with the relativistic jet of the other galaxy's nucleus.

[EDIT] Also, check out this article I found over at Badastronomy.com:
www.badastronomy.com...

It explains the phenomenon a little better.

[edit on 12/18/07 by Nutrients]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I already started a thread on this topic here.

Would you like to come over?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
hey Quantum_Squirrel put his thread up about 1 minute before you did

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
interesting, but not quite. This radiation blast would probably just move slowly in space. lets say it hit earth, would we really get blasted away? or would it just be like getting hit with solar dust. I mean, it's nothing like we see in the real death star in starwars. Not even close..

But it's nice to see that galaxies collide, I was right about galactic superstroms when I called art bell.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
interesting, but not quite. This radiation blast would probably just move slowly in space.

Not quite, it would be moving at close to the speed of light, thats not what id call slowly.

mojo

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
I mean, it's nothing like we see in the real death star in starwars. Not even close..

Wow. You saw real death stars in action? Amazing.

I find the following piece of trivia amazing as well - next time you buy/wear a piece of gold jewelry, rest assured that the gold is a product of a supernova explosion. Heavy elements don't form inside ordinary stars in large enough quantities. So there it is -- a piece of supernova on your finger/neck etc.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
I already started a thread on this topic here.

Would you like to come over?

I appoligise for that I just seen and thought it was neater than PB & J

and did not realise it was already up somtimes people use creative headliners and I do not go into everysingle blotter....Again I appoligise if you are offended......

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The situation is closer than you think, as a matter of fact "There is one right in our purverbial backyard, and it's ramification's are stagering.

For decades, astronomers have known that the Milky Way galaxy is on a collision course with the neighboring Andromeda spiral galaxy. What was unknown until now: the fate of the Sun and our solar system in that melee. New calculations by theorists T.J. Cox and Avi Loeb (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics) show that the Sun and its planets will be exiled to the outer reaches of the merged galaxy. Moreover, the collision will take place within the Sun's lifetime, before it becomes a burned-out white dwarf star.

SO, before the sun is history, it will more than likely be propelled to the far reaches of our solar system, if the theory holds water.

Source of explanation:

www.sciencedaily.com...

Good thread OP, "Keep 'em comin!!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by EverAfter

Tell your friend I appoligise for that...I was probably still typing while he/she had it posted already

Takes me foreever.....

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

That is scary I have had wierd dreams before lol where our planet got sucked up into a "black hole" and we ended up in a 2nd dimension...I know I know its far out there!!! But in reality we would just blow up like this thing did to that other galaxy!!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The topic alread exists here

please contribute to the preceding thread

Closing this one

top topics

join