POLITICS: Kerry Pulls Ahead with Weekend Wins

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Sen. John Kerry furthered his claim on the Democratic presidential nomination Saturday with wins in both Washington and Michigan.

AP.org

Howard Dean, shut out of the primary season to date, suffered a fresh blow when union leader Gerald McEntee decided to withdraw his support from the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

Returns from 71 percent of Washington's precincts showed Kerry with 48 percent and Dean with 31 percent. Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio had 8 percent; Edwards had 6 percent and Clark had 3 percent. Early returns from Michigan's caucuses showed Kerry with 55 percent support. Edwards had 15 percent, Dean 14 percent, Clark 7 percent, Kucinich 6 percent and Al Sharpton 3 percent.

Kerry, campaigning like the front-runner he is, paid scant attention to his Democratic rivals focusing his attention instead on President Bush. His showing swelled his delegate total to 290, with Dean at 132, Edwards at 110 and Clark at 82. It takes 2,162 to win the nomination.

Sunday brings the candidates another 35 delegates to split in Maine's race where Dean hopes for a surprising win to validate his candidacy. Similarly Edwards and Clark are expected to make last best stands in Tuesday's votes in Tennessee (85 delegates) and Virgina (98 delegates).

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Looks like the bonesmen win either way.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Did we really expect anything else tonight?

Kerry is the most electable and therfor the most probable choice now to most democrats, i know that i'd vote for Edwards first and Dean second but Kerry's a little "well i went to vietnam" and he uses that in every second sentence, i know he's a hero and all but will he ever just let people focus on who he really is rather than something he did 30 years ago that anyone else would have done in his position.

He's trying to be the average joe but he's denying he is one, the guys having a major schziophrenia problem.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
You're right Nerdling, on both counts. Though I hope the race and it's coverage continues, mostly to keep the spotlight on the issues and not Bush in his costume du jour.

The race for VP could be the most interesting thing going. Or not, for those convinced it's Edwards.

But a Kerry/Edwards ticket does make a few contests more interesting. The 2008 race for example (should Kerry lose 2004) could be Edwards versus Hillary, now that Gore sank on the good ship Dean.

Or if Kerry/Edwards WINS then we are guaranteed an Edwards run in ATS's favorite year of speculation 2012!

I've got my Edwards 2012 sign made.

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
You're right Nerdling, on both counts. Though I hope the race and it's coverage continues, mostly to keep the spotlight on the issues and not Bush in his costume du jour.

The race for VP could be the most interesting thing going. Or not, for those convinced it's Edwards.

But a Kerry/Edwards ticket does make a few contests more interesting. The 2008 race for example (should Kerry lose 2004) could be Edwards versus Hillary, now that Gore sank on the good ship Dean.

Or if Kerry/Edwards WINS then we are guaranteed an Edwards run in ATS's favorite year of specualtion 2012!

I've got my Edwards 2012 sign made.

If it came down to the cut then i'm behind hillary 100%, i'd actually work on her campaign staff if i had the chance to. I'm a Clinton man!

New Democrats for a new era.

Kerry troubles me, he seems like one of those guys you cross the street to avoid because he looks like he might just kill you (other people like that include Dan Rather, Bill O'Reilly and Charles Manson)

Its the Vietnam thing that annoys me, i actually think its an insult to those who went and those who died, he comes back and thinks he deserves to be president because he went to Vietnam and saved some fat republicans ass in a swift boat, there must be a thousand stories just like that and many more heroic than him. He's a liberal senator from Mass. but his voting record says otherwise, he's also against same sex marriages and he's not pro-choice probably because those two issues that make someone seem ultra liberal a'la Howard "I have a scream" Dean.

Still, he's better than bush.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
CNN reports the following pledged delegates:

Kerry 409, Dean 174, Edwards 116, Clark 82.

Keep in mind the DEMOCRATS allow delegate splitting in their primary. The actual election will not. That means one would have to win a state for winner keep all delegate allocation.

In that scenario, Dean would have ZERO delegates while Edwards and Clark each won a state. Tomorrow brings Tennessee and Virgina votes.

new topics
top topics

join