It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Successfully Intercepts Missle In Space From Ship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

HONOLULU — The Japanese military destroyed a mid-range ballistic missile in space with an interceptor fired from a ship off Hawaii in a test on Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hmm??? Wonder what is going on here??? This is strange....

Allthe weaponery going to space should alert everyone that somthing is going on way above what we know....There is not alot of humans up there.....

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I see nothing more than people learning better ways to kill themselves, and better ways to guard against these better ways of killing. As for high up, we have the tech now to launch a missile into near orbit so that it strikes the target. Most likely, we'll continue finding ways to attack our neighbors from space until we are able to launch rockets to orbit or something.
Yes, perhaps it is also intended to guard against alien attack, I have no doubt that there is some with that thought in mind, but it seems to be more for striking at the neighbor.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Its a exo-atmospheric BMD(ballistic Missile Defence) test.
With Crazy Coree(DPRK) shooting missiles over Japan, it seems logical for the Japanese to develop a defense for the same.

Anyways, Multi-layered BMD systems are the new fad! Everyone who wants to be someone's got one of those!

Lets see, THAAD/PAC3 for the US, S-300/400 for the Russians, Arrow2 for the Israelis, AAD for the Indians.. I believe the French have one too.

Nobody's keeping faith in diplomacy to restrict the crazy nations from letting one go!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Cool stuff, If I remember correctly THAD uses Kinetic Energy to destroy a warhead. Worked well too! Future Weapons baby! Damn, i miss having cable.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
globalsecurity.org also has an article about this. www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The US Navy has been running these tests for years. And very successfully too. The only difference between those tests, and this one is that it is the first time an SM-3 was launched from a non-US ship. The missile killed in this test was similar to a North Korean missile, which is the reason that the Japanese wanted this system installed on their ships. They had tracked and fired simulated missiles in previous tests, so this was a natural progression.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
MAN!! Japan must have been working on this weapon for a while now, North Korea, better think twice!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Uh, no they haven't. They used the SM-3 that the US NAVY has been testing for years. It's the EXACT same missile and the EXACT same software that the USN has been testing, installed on a Japanese ship.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Uh, no they haven't. They used the SM-3 that the US NAVY has been testing for years. It's the EXACT same missile and the EXACT same software that the USN has been testing, installed on a Japanese ship.

Japan does not get quite the same program load that we do for their ships. They do get the same missile, but the difference is in the software.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The difference in software is that the newer US ships are using AEGIS 3.6, with an upgrade to AEGIS 3.7 in the future. However, only the USS Shiloh and Stethem are equipped with 3.6, all others are still using 3.0. The JDS Kirishima and JDS Kongo are also equipped with AEGIS 3.0. There are four more US Destroyers that will be up to the 3.6 standard by the end of this year, but they haven't been named yet. There are a total of 8 LRS&T ships (all DDG-51s) and 9 engage capable ships (3 CG-47s, 6 DDG-51s). That's not counting the Kirishima and Kongo. They are using the same software as the US ships.

[edit on 12/18/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

The Japenese do not get the same load as the US Navy, there are differences between them. You said earlier that the Japanese were using the EXACT same program as we are. They did not assist in the costs and development, so they are running about six months or more behind the US Navy.

It would be stupid of us to give them the EXACT same version that we have since they have proven they cannot maintain postive control of top secret items.

[edit on 18/12/07 by COOL HAND]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

slightly off topic which software did australia buy for the F-100s.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by COOL HAND

So what you're saying is that ALL the sources are wrong, and they're NOT using AEGIS 3.0. Because if it's different software than the US is using, it wouldn't be AEGIS 3.0. Yes, there was a leak, and the US slowed down on delivering ANYTHING to them until they fixed it. Nothing harmful was leaked, just some information. No software, or hardware and anything else of the sort.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jezza

The Spanish variants use the Baseline 5, Phase III. That gets them JTIDS, TDIL 16, Combat Direction Finding, TDIES, AN/SLQ-32(V)3 ECCM, and AEGIS ER missiles. I would say that Australian versions would probably be Baseline 6 or 7.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Thanks mate

Great

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

reply to post by COOL HAND

So what you're saying is that ALL the sources are wrong, and they're NOT using AEGIS 3.0. Because if it's different software than the US is using, it wouldn't be AEGIS 3.0. Yes, there was a leak, and the US slowed down on delivering ANYTHING to them until they fixed it. Nothing harmful was leaked, just some information. No software, or hardware and anything else of the sort.

You don't find the fact that China shortly thereafter developed its own phased array based radar system to be a little odd?

I think you are slightly confused between the AEGIS baseline and the BMD Baseline. They are seperate programs that work on the same ship. Each one has a different mission.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I'm not confused at all. I KNOW the difference between them. And China was developing AEGIS for several years before the Japanese were given it. I don't have time to dig into all the sources or timelines right now but I will later on.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I'm not confused at all. I KNOW the difference between them. And China was developing AEGIS for several years before the Japanese were given it. I don't have time to dig into all the sources or timelines right now but I will later on.

I do not get that impression reading your posts here.

China was not developing an AEGIS type system until they were able to get some key items from the Japanese. They were developing a phased array system (which has been around for quite a while). Then all of the sudden they start moving in a different direction and you don't think it was related to the loss of classified material by the Japanese?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I don't care if you get the impression that I'm confused. I KNOW the difference between them, and I know what I'm talking about.

As for the Japanese leaking Aegis to the Chinese let's see what is being said about this.....

The first Chinese tactical communication links with characteristics similar to NTDS were observed on the 4,200-ton Luhu-class DDGs in 1991. Initial TAVITAC CDS installations took place on the DDG 105 in 1987, and other Luda models in 1987 could have tried the concept. The PLAN link frequencies of 225 megahertz HF and 400 megahertz UHF are the same frequencies NTDS uses and may be part of the Chinese tactical datalink system designated HN-900.

Western vendors have provided Chinese aircraft with the MIL-STD 1553B data bus, which now has been installed on new 052 DDGs. China has used a Type-W datalink provided by France to non-NATO export customers that is similar to TADIL-A. Sovremenny and Ka-25 helicopters are equipped with the A-346Z secure datalink in addition to HF, very high frequency (VHF) and UHF radios. The newest frigates and DDGs 168, 169 and 170 have the HN-900. The HN-900 probably includes some of these foreign datalink technologies. The Russian Light Bulb datalink is positioned above the DDG 170 helicopter hanger, and Bandstand provides coordinated operations between the Russian navy using Chinese datalinks.

A Soviet 1950-vintage A-band Knife Rest early warning yagi radar antenna is aft. This antenna was not on 052B or the Luhu, but it was on the Luhai and 1990-vintage Luda upgrades and Jiangwei frigates. This seems to hint a weakness in the Aegis, which normally should perform such detection.

www.freerepublic.com...

U.S. intelligence officials say China stole the technology for the Aegis battle management system by setting up a front company in the United States that became a subcontractor for the Aegis system manufacturer.

www.worldtribune.com...

Reports indicate this radar may be a co-development program with the Kvant-Radiolokatsiya company of the Ukraine. The band and performance of this radar have not yet been publicly reported. The radar may be a developed version of that first seen on the No. 970 weapons development ship, and could either be S-Band or Russian-style X-Band.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

What is the deal? The stories don't go into any kind of detail to explain how they achieved a complete AEGIS type system so quickly.

Can you go into some detail between the differences between the US AEGIS baseline and the Japanese ones?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join