It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is atheism a bona fide religion ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The recent campaign here on the ATS (if you pagans,Wiccans, and New Agers haven't noticed) going on by the atheists among us, has caused me to pause and ask the question, "Is atheism a bona fide religion ?" Every religion needs,

1. A belief
2. A mission statement
3. A cause for which to futher that belief

I personally believe that atheism is a religion. It has teachers and missionaries and followers. But what do my fellow ATS members think about this.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
A religion? No. A faith? Yes. How can anyone know one way or the other?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Any word ending with ISM is a set of philosophies or thoughts describing a certain version of reality.

In this sense atheism is a belief-system.

It is what I call a reactive-belief-system because it was established in REACTION to the absurdities and inconsistencies of religion.

While it is much more pleasant to talk to an atheist than a religious cultists, they do have their limitations and preoccupations. Being preoccupied by saying "There is no God" will not convert christians but only strengthen christians paranoia of some conspiracy against them happening.

A "more free mind" would be the agnostic, who believes neither this nor that but is open for any possibility and remains that way.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Expanding on the issue:

Any word uttered after "I am a...." can be termed a belief system.

"I am a christian

"I am an atheist"

"I am a buddhist"

The newborn child or the soul is none of it but only undefined consciousness. Humans tend to but a mask/label over the pure "I am", taking on various ROLES that OPPOSE other ROLES.

Consciousness is all there is.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
The recent campaign here on the ATS (if you pagans,Wiccans, and New Agers haven't noticed) going on by the atheists among us, has caused me to pause and ask the question, "Is atheism a bona fide religion ?" Every religion needs,

I have seen "campaigns going on" in ATS but they are not limited to Atheist only.

Atheism is a belief a belief that is not gods or god.

It has not mission but the personal choice of the person that chose to no to belief in a God or Gods.

A cause for which to further that belief will be no different than any believer of a God or Gods to pursue a goal to spread their believes.

I personally believe that atheism is a religion. It has teachers and missionaries and followers. But what do my fellow ATS members think about this.

Well I will love to see some links to that quote so I can understand how can atheism fall under religion, I will also want to know who are the missionaries and where this type of Atheist worships their atheism.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
We are spiritual creatures and each of us walk a spiritual path. Yes, even those who choose to be Atheists are choosing a spiritual path.

I avoid them though, I've yet to meet an atheist who wasn't a snob about it. Then again, that could just be me.

I personally would say no to the religion idea, but just another path among many different spiritual paths.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I don't believe atheism is a religion. It is a belief, yes, that there is no superior being responsible for our existence and there is no negative force in opposition to that superior being.

There are zealots everywhere. The difference is how much of what annoys you that you will let roll off your back.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'm an atheist. And atheism is not a religion.

I've had this argument so many times since I joined it's not even funny.

Here's the definition of a religion:

a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with conscientious devotion.

We don't believe in supernatural powers, we don't worship, we don't belong to orders, we don't have spiritual leaders (people like Dawkins aren't leaders -- they don't do anything but state an opinion, and leave the decision up to the reader. Unlike religious "leaders" who demand money so god will love you), and if you want to argue #4, I've been there too.

Devotion's definition is:

1. Ardent, often selfless affection and dedication, as to a person or principle.
2. Religious ardor or zeal; piety.
a. An act of religious observance or prayer, especially when private. Often used in the plural.
b. devotions Prayers or religious texts: a book of devotions.
4. The act of devoting or the state of being devoted.

Atheists are not going to die for their beliefs, and therefore "devotion" doesn't really apply, unlike Xians who can't wait to die in the end times so they can be with their imaginary friend.

So, no, atheism isn't a religion and anyone who thinks so doesn't know what atheism is at all, and probably shouldn't make blanket assumptions like that without more education on the subject.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

So my initial post stands? It's a faith but not a religion?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I will like to know how it can be a faith without a belief of any kind but the believing of self accomplishness.

That is not faith.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It's a faith because it's an unknown. Do you know God exists? KNOW! Do Atheists KNOW God doesn't exist? If you answer yes to either question it's because of faith, because there are NO ways to verify this in this life.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I know it's all semantics and play on words but it's probably safer to call it a pseudo-religion.

Athiests tends to put man and science at the center of the Universe. This is perfectly fine to a certain degree but by arrogantly making scientists the supreme entities the belief system lends itself to appear that it has no basis or foundation because beliefs could be proven wrong or change at any time, say for example upon the release of some eagerly anticipated scientific journal.

My point is that Man has not yet reached the pinnacle of science and technology. It's safe to say we are more intelligent now than we were 50 years ago yet why do athiests today believe Man cannot get any more intelligent?

If Man ever acquires, or perhaps re-acquires, the power of telepathy, will it be revealed that we are actually utlizing the same part of the brain as we do for prayer?

As I've stated before, the more intelligent a person becomes, the more common sense they tend to lose.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well Intrepid if we are to stay within the meaning of faith Atheism doesn't fall within the term.

Many people think of "faith" as either a feeling or a collection of ideas that represent one's convictions but those convictions are link to religous believes.

Atheist have none so for that reason it atheism can not fall under "faith".

Per bible definition.

They are (1) a firm conviction, producing a full acknowledgment of God's revelation or truth, e.g., 2Thess. 2:11-12; (2) a personal surrender to Him, John 1:12; (3) a conduct inspired by such surrender, 2Cor. 5:7. Prominence is given to one or other of these elements according to the context"

A religous definition could be seen as, Faith being an attitude, conviction and conduct based on a right relationship with God. It is not static, but grows in strength and depth as we nourish that relationship with our Creator throughout our lives.

See how it can not be applied to Atheism, just my personal view.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Yes marg but you are equating this with a "religious" bent. You have to get outside of that to see that there is no difference between those that believe God exists and those that believe that he doesn't. "Believe" being the main term.

Sorry if I'm missing the point.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

It's a faith because it's an unknown. Do you know God exists? KNOW! Do Atheists KNOW God doesn't exist? If you answer yes to either question it's because of faith, because there are NO ways to verify this in this life.

No. Consider it this way: I don't need 'faith' to know that Santa doesn't exist. Same with god.. just doesn't logical for me [I can't get beyond the time/space paradox].

I still have my spirituality and imagination though.. just in a very different context.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by riley]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Some atheists I know would disagree with it being a faith in nothing at all. They just don't care one way or another about worshipping deities. They're indifferent to religion because they don't see it as applying to them and they're not concerned about what happens after we die. They're simply not afraid of damnation or punishment, which is one of the chief issues that believers deal with constantly as an element of their faith.

If you don't care, you're not invested, so faith becomes irrelevant.

[edit on 12/17/2007 by 1 7 7 6]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
No. Consider it this way: I don't need 'faith' to know that Santa doesn't exist. Same with god.. just doesn't logical for me [I can't get beyond the time/space paradox].

Sorry, that's a stretch and I'm sympathetic. Equating the falacy that is Santa to God? Um, no, not going to fly.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Perhaps the problem comes with the given definition in the dictionary of the noun Faith.

But I see how can anybody will attach it to Atheism because is a denial of God, still base on religion.

I got your point Intrepid, I think.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I beg your pardon? I'm not trying to satisfy your logic or spiritual need but am merely explaining my own. You said it was a matter of faith.. I just explained to you from my point of view as an atheist why it's not.
It is how I view it. I consider god similar to Santa.. it doesn't have 'to fly' with you as I'm not asking you to believe the same.. just asking you to respect the fact that I just can't believe.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by riley]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join