It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Bully" black hole said blasting nearby galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

A "death star" galaxy is sending out a powerful jet of particles and magnetic radiation that is likely obliterating any possible life in its broad path, notably in a nearby galaxy, astronomers said on Monday.

NEWS LINK

we see something like this in a galaxy very near to us .. makes me wonder if our boys know something they aint telling about our own galaxy .. possibly towards 2012?

how nearby is nearby? and what sort of time frame are we talking here?

And on a side note if a global catastophe was imminent.. do you think the powers that be would tell us?

------------------------------------
replaced quote with 'ex' tags for external material

Please read Posting work written by others

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 18/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

There is no need to worry about this death ray hitting Earth -- the galaxies are 1.4 billion light years away -- a light year being the distance light travels in a year, or about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion km).

Looks like we gonna be alright for now. Interesting none the less, it must have been a very special kind of fireworks when those two collided.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Wow that's beautiful - bully black hole or not.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by flice
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

There is no need to worry about this death ray hitting Earth -- the galaxies are 1.4 billion light years away -- a light year being the distance light travels in a year, or about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion km).

Looks like we gonna be alright for now. Interesting none the less, it must have been a very special kind of fireworks when those two collided.

they ALWAYs say dont worry about it ..... but if it can happen next door (univesaly speaking) then why not here?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I agree.

Beautiful.

Truly amazing things happen
beyond our galaxy.

Thank you, Quantum.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion
I agree.

Beautiful.

Truly amazing things happen
beyond our galaxy.

Thank you, Quantum.

Regards,
Lex

OMG lex i am truly humbled by your non - realistic.. non - scathing opinion
you are so usually grounded in fact i feel truly blessed

This is ment as a freindly jibe lex pls don't take it the wrong way , we truly need people grounded in fact to give us an unbiased opinion of the universal happenings. i am just somewhat taken aback by you reply .. maybe its because this is based entirley on currecnt facts. your normally so grounded!!

[edit on 17/12/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I already started a thread on this topic here.

Would you like to come over?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
I already started a thread on this topic here.

Would you like to come over?

seen as i started this topic hours before yours would you like to come over to mine?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
2 points

first, this thread precedes the one Astyanax posted by a large margin. If any should be closed, it would be the one Astyanax started.

secondly... this thread has been posted in the Space Exploration, with a proper title from the article linked and meant for discussion in a scientific manner.

The thread by Astyanax was posted in the same forum, but has a definite Aliens and UFO's slant in that it proposes an advanced civilization is responsible. The title of the article has been altered to fit this theory.

Because of this, I'm moving the Astyanax thread to Aliens and UFO's for discussion and leaving Quantum_Squirrels thread where it belongs... right here.

Back on topic, please.

spelling edit

[edit on 18/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Ok, when they say there's no need to worry because it is so faaaar away, doesn't the fact that we are observing the light produced by the event suggest that some form of the radiation (light) has already reached us? Just being picky

Oh yea just remember people, the event took place over 1.4 billion years ago, so by now these galaxies would probably be in a very different state right now.

Oh and also at the rate that galaxies form/move/do anything we wont be seeing any changes in our neighboring galaxies for a veerrrry long time.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
We must bear in mind that we are looking 1.4 billion years into the past so it's hardly a current event

The universe is definitely a large and interesting place to be so just enjoy the lightshow.

top topics

join