It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant rat discovered in Indonesia (with pic)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Research scientists combing through a remote jungle location in Jakarta, Indonesia came across a new species of giant rats, which are 5 times the size of our city rats. Based on the pic, the thing looks the size of an alley cat. It's a monster!

news.aol.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Based on the pic, the thing looks the size of an alley cat. It's a monster!

Good lord! Look at the size of that thing!

I bet it eats cats (or kittens) for breakfast

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
You know, my woman goes into hysterics at the site of one of our domestic rodents. I can only imagine what would happen if she ever saw one of these things within a hundred yards. We would probably need a defibrolator. LOL

Thank goodness these things are native only to a remote jungle in Indonesia.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Wow! And I was amazed when I saw a sewer rat come out of the ssewers! Imagine what else is in that jungle? Snakes the size of whales and such.

-Jimmy-

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well, wood rats get pretty big, but that thing looks like a beaver...

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I think i am gonna need a bigger trap!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Looks kind of like a Nutria to me. These things will scare the crap out of you when you are fishing and they come swimming across the lake at you.
They really resemble a beaver and are a large rodent. Nutria or Coypu

Adult nutria are about 14 inches long with a 12-17-inch tail, and can weigh up to 25 pounds. www.nationaltrappers.com...

Source

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
A bigger and better. Looks a lot like a ferret really.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
naw, I have seen actual ferrets. My ex-girlfriend had one.. They are much smaller and slinkier than whatever that thing in the picture is...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
man thats a huge rat , i saw one once that was pretty big but that thing makes it look like a standard field mouse. hey it may be a rat but thats at least one more previously unknown animal to be found in the last few years and im glad to see it.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Come on guys!
That rat is really cute, dont you think?

Looks not like a sewer-rat IMHO.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kickass
Come on guys!

Looks not like a sewer-rat IMHO.

I agree, he looks kinda cute. Some of those sewer rats look damn scary.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Huh. I bet there's some really good eating on those giant rats.

Yes, it's true. My cave person ancestry always has me label animals "good eating" or "not for eating."

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I'm quite sure that the natives of the region eat them. Why wouldn't they?

As for looking like a ferret, that's laughable. My ferret had a long slinky body and a hair on his tail. I think what makes rats so nasty looking is their bare tail.

I can still remember the great snake experiment of 1999 where I had to bid my time until the kid tired of the snake and it was given away. Anyway, we had to buy rats from the pet store for the snake to eat and when the snake wouldn't eat the rat we were stuck with it for awhile. The rat actually knew us by the sound of our voices and when my ex would come home the rat would climb the wall of his open top aquarium and stand on it's hind legs until she would come over and pick him up. Eventually I ended up having to take two rats back to the pet store (now 3 times larger) and of course they took them but wouldn't pay for them. So it was like I paid them to fatten up their own rats.

What does this have to do with the OP? I have no idea.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kickass
Come on guys!

Sort of, I guess. I really don't like rats or snakes, though...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
maojormalfuntion;
I wonder if it taste like chicken. Looks like a good protein source to me. After all if river rat isn't too bad, this might be downright tasty

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Sort of, I guess. I really don't like rats or snakes, though...

But you should be okay with snakes -- they eat rats! Just don't trust them.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I used to work on a hog farm in rural Indiana way back in my college days. I know you aren't going to believe this, but I've seen rats in the gestation barns that were almost as big as the one in the picture. You've never really seen a rat until you've seen a rat on a livestock farm.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I would love to have that cute widdow mammoth sized fweind fow a pet! Awwwww!

It does look pretty harmless, though. I think it's alive in that picture, and it's just kinda like all sleepy looking. Well, could be filled with animal tranquilizer.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
time to get out the bigger sized rat traps

seriously though as soon as i saw the name of this thread i thought of nuclear activity, don't really know though. all i know is that I'm breaking out the shot gun if i got over to china and see one of those.

Roswell.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join