It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How young is too young to drive?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
People blame teenagers for alot of accidents on the road. How young is too young too drive? I think the parents should make the decision whether or not their child is mature enough to handle such a responsibility.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
When I lived in Alberta I was driving at 14 with my parents. To this day I haven't been in an accident, even being a pizza boy (although I have put the bimmer in a ditch once, no damage).

To me there is no age that is too young to drive. It has more to do with the maturity of the individual. But if you had to take an average where maturity is more established, I would say anyone under the age of 16 is too immature to handle a dangerous piece of machinery like a car.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It's unusual for a five year old to be tall enough to see over the wheel and reach the pedals, and I wouldn't advocate converting cars for them.

But there could be a pedal car lane on minor thoroughfares, beside the bike lane, in a non-ageist world.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It depends upon the maturity of the individual.

Age does not matter.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
We should lower the drinking age to 16 and raise the driving age to 21. All problems solved. Seriously.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
My husband learnt to drive at the age of 8. He is nearly 35 now and still a boy racer. I am learning to drive now at 33. I know that I will definatly be a more careful driver than my husband, but he has been driving for so long that it is like second nature to him and would be better at taking evasive action because of it. I suppose it really depends on the person. You can be reckless or careful at any age I suppose.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The reason Im asking this is because my lil bro is 15 and getting his license. I really dont think hes mature enough.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Honestly I think the minimum age for a license should be 18, because seldom have I seen anyone under that age drive in a mature fashion. Secondly why does someone under that age need to be driving around, their primary focus should still be school, not crusing around wasting gas and getting into trouble.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
here in KC, you can get your permit at 14. They may have raised it to 15,not sure, but thats still young.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I think 16 is a good age to start driving...it's when I started.

top topics

join