It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble spies 'Evil Eye' galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hubble spies 'Evil Eye' galaxy

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The Hubble Space Telescope has snapped a new image of the "Evil Eye" or "Black Eye" galaxy, so named because an ancient cosmic smashup produced a dark ring and a roiling, conflicted interior.

www.cnn.com...

Messier 64 (M64) has a spectacular dark band of absorbing dust in front of a bright nucleus, giving rise to its nicknames of the "Black Eye" or "Evil Eye" galaxy.

I thought the hubble was out of working order?
Either way, this is one amazing picture.

Deep

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
its not out of working order yet, it will be in a few years unless they decide to keep on servicing it, and i hope they do

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Yeah, great pic.
It stops working in 2007, so they have 3 years to decide what to do... I hope they fix it. Its provided us with so many great views of space and has been a great help to astronomers.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Yeah, if they don't continue servicing it I am going to be pissed off. Hubble is an awesome tool, and we've learned massive amounts of things with it.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
LOL they can't just stop servicing hubble, Bush has made future plans to return to the moon and follow suit with the country that made plans for a manned mission to Mars, how can we prepare for this without Hubble?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
The rumour is that they have already decided to stop servicing the Hubble and as of now it is abandoned. Apparently a group of scientists around the world are organizing to protest this unfortunate turn of events.

I think the controllers are getting nervous that he hubble will see the alien crafts, the asteroids and the so-called planet X coming our way. Better to shut it off before anybody actually sees anything of real concern.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
don't you think the controllers could keep that kind of information from surfacing?

it's not like what hubble finds is on cnn live for the world to see

but on the other hand when is anything ever kept a secret forever in our government

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
morrison,

good points, I guess that the work the telescope does can be controlled to a degree, but since the activities mentioned if happening at all are to us to a degree random then they cannot always be hidden. I am suggesting that as these events escalate in future (as I expect them to IMHO), then the potential for hard evidence to fall into the wrong hands escalates accordingly.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
yes it does, but that would not matter because Hubble would be a definite necessity in those missions, and they will not jeopardize the missions for the chance that information they don't want out will be leaked

look at the MJ-12 documents, look at the SOM1-01 manual, the risk of those getting out didn't stop the operations they were about from occurring

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Morrison,

yes agreed and you are on the ball. The assumption being that there is other ways to obtain the info they need but that we are not yet aware of. I think that is the logical answer to our furtive probing.

jra

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Morrison: In reply to your first statement. What does Hubble have to do with going to the Moon and Mars? It would not be used for such things as that.

As much as I like Hubble and what it's shown us. I don't mind too much if they stop using it. There are plans for newer and more advanced telescopes.

top topics

join