It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury Finds Millionaires Guilty in 'Modern Day Slavery' Case

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Jury Finds Millionaires Guilty in 'Modern Day Slavery' Case

www.foxnews.com

CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. — A jury on Monday convicted a millionaire couple of enslaving two Indonesian women they brought to their mansion to work as housekeepers.

Mahender Murlidhar Sabhnani, 51, and his wife, Varsha Mahender Sabhnani, 45, were each convicted of all charges in a 12-count federal indictment that included forced labor, conspiracy, involuntary servitude, and harboring aliens.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Hmmm amazing to say the least, slavery right under our noses. It doesn't surprise me, I cook for rich and famous people, and personally most are morally challenged, and are demanding beyond all reason.

They truly act [the rich]as if they are better than everyone else, I'm sure these two that were convicted had that feeling over there employees, wonder how they feel now?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Adding this:

CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. — A servant who worked for a millionaire couple charged with modern-day slavery testified Monday in excruciating detail about the punishment she says she endured for minor transgressions such as sleeping late.

Samirah, an immigrant from Indonesia, said she was forced to walk naked from the servants' room to the kitchen and to eat 100 chili peppers, followed by six spoons of chili powder mixed with salt water. She said she vomited after eating the peppers and was told to eat the vomit.
Servant Forced to Eat 100 Chili Peppers, Vomit at Long Island Mansion

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow this behavior was deviant to the core. It will be interesting to see what they are ultimately sentenced too.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

This sort of things (maid abuse) happen more often than you think. Or it least it happens often enough on this side of the globe. I think part of the reason is because Indonesian maids are dumb and stubborn (9 out of 10 times, with the 10th being smart and sneaky). They're mostly all good at dodging work (7 out of 10 times, with the 8th or 9th running away outright). But they're also much much cheaper to process* than Filipino maids (about half the cost). However, the country couldn't run without them. They're Malaysia's Mexicans -- they build our cities and serve in our homes.

Not saying it's a good thing to abuse them. But sometimes I do understand why the employer might go 'over the edge'. Of course, those who do lose their sense of humanity and their self-control ought to be sentenced to the fullest extent of the law. Not sure how often they are discovered, though.

*Processing here indicates getting the papers done and plane tickets prepared, training... all that. I'm talking about legal maids.

Edit: fixed something

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This couple is facing 40 years in prison, but they are Rich. Lets speculate on what type of sentence they will receive. It's my bet they receive less than 5 years, but not much prison time considering they were convicted on 12 counts, most of it will be probate or parole.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I am surprised that this decision took so long. I reported this news on May 23rd, 2007:

Wealthy NY Couple Faces Forced Labor (Slavery) Charges...

[edit on 17-12-2007 by they see ALL]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I don't want to be 'that guy', but here in America this is absolutely unheard of. It must be the popular culture that gets the ideas of freedom into the heads of our housekeepers. I know for a fact that many of the rich and powerful here are douchebags towards their housekeepers, but not usually to this extent.

One time I was fixing a computer at one of my 'Top Dawg's' houses and his housekeeper just sat there and told me how much of a horrible person he was, and how little he paid compared to what some of her friends got, and how he demands things that just aren't able to be done. She said it all in Spanish so he wouldn't understand. Of course I believed her because he often demands things of me and my team that can't be done. My favorite being to get 150 iTouches the day they were released so he could have gifts for his friends at a party he was throwing. He got 35.

Anyway, the things these people did were disgusting and sadistic. Unfortunately they likely wouldn't get half the time that someone without their money and connections would get. Must be nice to be rich.

apc

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
What's [with] the obsession over "the rich?" Scum is scum. It doesn't matter what their net worth is. Such generalizing makes one as guilty as those who say all Muslims are terrorists.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by apc]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
What the obsession over "the rich?" Scum is scum. It doesn't matter what their net worth is. Such generalizing makes one as guilty as those who say all Muslims are terrorists.

I disagree, here in the US we have the best Justice system Money can by... It's been proven over and over. I also agree, these people are scum.

apc

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Our system being the way it is in that the more money you have the better lawyer you can buy is not an ill consequence of people having money. It's a consequence of a screwed up justice system. Complain about that, not about "the rich."

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Agreed. They shouldn't be punished worse for having more paper than most.

They made her eat her own chili vomit. What is wrong with the world?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

You are insane. If they don't like the quality of the people working for them then they should get rid of them. To say that these rich people had no alternative, but to punish and treat as slaves is crazy.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakeman
To say that these rich people had no alternative, but to punish and treat as slaves is crazy.

You're putting words in my mouth.

Please re-read the entire post and see what context the sentence which I think elicited that interpretation from you was in.

Edit: Clarity

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Our system being the way it is in that the more money you have the better lawyer you can buy is not an ill consequence of people having money. It's a consequence of a screwed up justice system. Complain about that, not about "the rich."

Why not criticize those that benefit from such a system??? If it wasn't for there superior attitude over there Servants this would have never happened. I work around the Rich or elite everyday I see this demeanor all the time, one family is better than the family at the next table.

These Rich people think they are better than others, and they prove this by there actions. I hope they get 8-10 years for this.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
This couple is facing 40 years in prison, but they are Rich. Lets speculate on what type of sentence they will receive. It's my bet they receive less than 5 years, but not much prison time considering they were convicted on 12 counts, most of it will be probate or parole.

Thanks to political correctness; this rich Indonesian couple will probably get 5 years or less for mistreating poor Indonesians. For a judge to throw the book at them would be an act of "racist white-male cultural insensitivity". Of course if a white family has treated non-white servants the same way, they'll get the maximum sentence possible, plus lawsuits, plus media vilification.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmTetsuo
Thanks to political correctness; this rich Indonesian couple will probably get 5 years or less for mistreating poor Indonesians.

The rich couple is Indian, not Indonesian. And not Indian like the kind that the Europeans massacred in the 1500-1900s, but the Indians that the Europeans massacred in the 1800-1900s.

For a judge to throw the book at them would be an act of "racist white-male cultural insensitivity". Of course if a white family has treated non-white servants the same way, they'll get the maximum sentence possible, plus lawsuits, plus media vilification.

So they'll get less time because of their race, and not because they can buy freedom? And the fact that 70% of the American prison population is non-white probably doesn't tell you anything does it?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I think part of the reason is because Indonesian maids are dumb and stubborn (9 out of 10 times, with the 10th being smart and sneaky). They're mostly all good at dodging work (7 out of 10 times, with the 8th or 9th running away outright). But they're also much much cheaper to process* than Filipino maids (about half the cost). However, the country couldn't run without them. They're Malaysia's Mexicans -- they build our cities and serve in our homes.

We need imported maids to run our country? A millionaire couldn’t afford an American maid or would American maids demand fair wages and treatment? I’m sorry but I don’t understand your reasoning. If the job pays, Americans will take it. If no American will take your job for its offered pay, perhaps you should up the pay. Maybe Indonesian maids are so damn lazy because they earn crappy wages.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Maybe Indonesian maids are so damn lazy because they earn crappy wages.

------------------------------------------------------

or maybe they just get sick and tired of the slave treatment to go with the slave wages....

personally, I hope they get as many years as possible out of it!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It is my understanding that this type of slavery is more common in the U.S. and Europe than people would think. I recently saw a French documentary on the subject. The young girl believed she was actually the property of the couple who "owned" her. These servants generally don't bring charges against their employers nearly as often as they should; probably many are illegal, and afraid of being returned to their home countries where they were desperately poor and/or abused.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Be careful when you hire an immigrant from South America to do your cooking,cleaning, and things like that. They maybe carrying a parasite.

www.ilri.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join