It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's too late for later

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

It's too late for later

www.iht.com

Throughout human history there was always some new part of the ocean to plunder, some new forest to devour, some new farmlands to exploit, noted Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club, who came to observe the Bali conference. But "now that economic development has become the prerogative of every country," he said, we've run out of virgin oceans and lands "for new rising economic powers to exploit."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dw-world.de
www.wsws.org
www.voanews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Skeptical Scientists Kicked Off UN Press Schedule in Bali ... Again
US: thanks for destroying our world!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Whichever side of the fence one may find themselves concerning "climate change" or "global warming" there's one indisputable fact that must be factored into this contentious equation: mankind is flat running out of untapped resources to exploit.

...too many countries are now chasing too few fish, trees and water resources, and are either devouring their own or plundering those of neighbors at alarming rates.

Indeed, today's global economy has become like a monster truck with the gas pedal stuck, so no one can stop it from wiping out more and more of the natural world, no matter what the global plan.

Will we be able to stop this destruction of our planet before it's too late?

As the article headline states; "It's too late for later," we MUST do something NOW, for "tomorrow" will be too late.

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Originally posted by goosedawg
Whichever side of the fence one may find themselves concerning "climate change" or "global warming" there's one indisputable fact that must be factored into this contentious equation: mankind is flat running out of untapped resources to exploit.

I think this has much more to do with mismanagement of resources. Clear cutting of forests, unlimited fishing tactics, and lack of farming science create shortages that can be easily avoided with the technology that we currently have. Almost always, this is due to lack of education. People just have to work smarter; that would solve most consumption problems.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I agree, at least for the short term. With good management, we could easily get another two or three hundred years of projected growth in population and still maintain a viable planet. IF perfectly ordered care were taken.

Still, in the long term we have no choice except to colonize other planets for resources. The sooner we start, the sooner life becomes easier to maintain.

I understand the concept of many people that we need to solve some of the many problems on Earth before we spend as much as we need to on space exploration. But I think this approach is short sighted, because there may soon come a time when we don't have the resources available to leave the nest.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by jsobecky

Still, in the long term we have no choice except to colonize other planets for resources. The sooner we start, the sooner life becomes easier to maintain.

I understand the concept of many people that we need to solve some of the many problems on Earth before we spend as much as we need to on space exploration. But I think this approach is short sighted, because there may soon come a time when we don't have the resources available to leave the nest.

So we should start breeding fish on Mars for export to Earth? There is plenty of ocean to breed new fish in for us to consume. Maybe we should instead use the Moon (closer) to grow crops, but their is plenty of space to grow more on Earth. Or we could just stop wasting what we have and using it all up before moving on.
I'm not saying we shouldn't go to these places and do these things, but Earth has to be able to sustain it's population until that time, and we're not exactly going to terraform Mars soon, so we should fix it in the meantime.

The problem is the companies that are collecting our resources, they're just collecting all they can, selling what they can and throwing away the rest, then repeating the same actions. We just need responsible companies isntead of the wasteful ones we have now.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

No offence, NGC, but what makes you think humanity won't repeat the whole process (being the dumbpoo that we are) again after we colonise another planet?

top topics

join