It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking New Bar ID System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Hello everyone,

Been a while since I last posted, still on this site all the time though, loads of fascinating posts each day to be read!

Anyways, I went out last night and two of the bars I went to locally (SE London) had machines where you had to have your ID scanned. If you didn't present your ID then you quite simply didn't get in, even people literally who were over 40 were being checked. They claim a requirement by the police to do this but I found it pretty ridiculous and thought no more of it! However, I didn't realise that the picture from your ID appears on a big screen at the entrance and stays there all night, even worse was that all the bouncers had to do was touch the picture on the screen and it literally came up with all the information that was on your ID. Surely this is a bit risky considering identity theft etc?! I mean I can understand that it helps them identify trouble makers but this is going too far, anyone else experienced this system?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Or perhaps it's just so no underage kids with fake ID's get in. Sounds pretty logical to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mrbocci

I would never let any bar or other commercial companies get a hold of my personal security number (vitch is your ID in Denmark).

Only busines to ever have true use of your ID would be government companies, like in hospitals/doctors to keep your records and stuff.

I havent experienced anything like that in Denmark

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
If this is actually true, my friend, I think there must not be Big Brother 'talk' anymore.
Time for action, don't you think so?

I mean, I can understand worries about trouble makers but sacrificing everybody else's privacy to avoid a few bar fights is simply outrageous. No best word to describe it.

Peace

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Well, any business that serves alcohol faces huge fines if they get caught serving to minors. Liquor control will regularly set up sting operations by sending in older looking 20 year olds and see if they can bait a server into serving them.

I don't think that the bar is using a bad policy. I don't necessarily think that they are implementing it correctly and they should legally be required to protect peoples privacy. But then again, we don't really have privacy anymore.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
This does seem to be a ploy to phase this in as a common practice to get people used to showing their ID or at least letting people know that you can and will be scanned, regardless.

This is a disgusting move by any business and can only be part of the big brother society that is, as it would seem, fully implemented.

There was a spate of 'name and shame' shows of trouble makers that went on for quite a while. This new approach looks like it's to intimidate you into not getting into trouble in the first place.

Not only would the police have instant access to who you are, but you would be permanently banned from such a venue and your picture and name put on display. This can only bring about the creation of more high-tech ID copies being made. We've all seen how these copies can easily be made by anyone with the right hardware.

They could also tie your info in with the 'pub watch' scheme they have running so you could find yourself banned from all pubs and clubs after one little upset.

IMO, get out of England now, before it dives down further into the fascist controlled system it already is, or get out into your towns and cities and do something about it.

I got out a few years ago. I have no intention of going back. Not for love nor money.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Was this a chain pub?

It sounds insane, and I definitely would not be allowing my ID to be scanned in order to access a bar.

I'm worried about how a pub would have access to equipment capable of scanning ID's to find out exactly who you are, etc. It also allows the government to keep very close tabs on where people are and when.

This is not a good sign. Who wants to join me in Antarctica?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Who wants to join me in Antarctica?

Lol, Isn't that rock group 'Christan death' going there along with some of their fans, or am I thinking of NiN?

Anyway, yes I have to agree that that is pretty bad thing for any public place to be able to do. Seems that whoever got it going gave some serious thought into how to make a big impact.

If you take away or control most peoples form of weekend fun, then you've got most of the people by the proverbial short and curlies.

Perhaps this link here will help a little...

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to make a law banning the microchipping of human beings in U.K. More details

Submitted by Stuart Hawkins – Deadline to sign up by: 22 February 2008 – Signatures: 742

petitions.pm.gov.uk...

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This is happening in Australia also. There has been a recent spate of bashings related to clubs and alcohol, and so having a record of patrons can facilitate in the prevention and if it comes to it, apprehension of the perpetrators.
Whether this works or not I don't know. If I want to get drunk, I personally don't care if my ID is scanned.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
If it's NIN - I'm definitely off there.

I think every Uk based member of ATS should sign that petition. I'm about to.

Good referral Extralien.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by more_serotonin_pls
Was this a chain pub?

It sounds insane, and I definitely would not be allowing my ID to be scanned in order to access a bar.

I'm worried about how a pub would have access to equipment capable of scanning ID's to find out exactly who you are, etc. It also allows the government to keep very close tabs on where people are and when.

This is not a good sign. Who wants to join me in Antarctica?

One of them is part of a chain but not sure about the other one, don't get me wrong i'm not a trouble maker by any means, like you I thought of the implications if all that data was to be lost by the bumbling d*cks who run these bars, look at the Government losing those discs earlier this year, I don't fancy having my identity stolen so i'm gonna avoid places that implement this system in future.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
In the US I've seen tons of places who scan your ID to make sure it's real, but basically all it does is scan through like a credit card machine and verify that it is a real ID. If it's fake then the text tells the bar so. But there wasn't any picture and they couldn't check to see the actual information attatched to your identity. Now I'm in Canada and I havent' even seen anything that high tech up here.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Maybe the pub owners are in cahoots with the police. If the pub owners know you are drinking and then driving, they can alert the police who to look out for. So not are you purchasing drinks, you might possibly be paying some heavy legal fees as well. One hand washes the other so to speak! Who's to say what they are scanning doesn't go right to the police department.

new topics

top topics

join