It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fresh' supermarket chicken that flew in from Brazil months ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   

'Fresh' supermarket chicken that flew in from Brazil months ago

www.timesonline.co.uk

Thousands of tonnes of apparently fresh poultry meat sold in supermarkets and catering outlets is imported and often months old.

An official definition of the term “fresh”, as used on food labels, is being drawn up amid concerns that consumers are buying meat that is much older than it seems to be.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
In my mind, this conjures up images of ALL the big time producers and suppliers of 'fresh' foods being involved. Take McDonalds as an example.

The McD's here in the Philippines run adverts saying that the eggs they use a fresh in from America???

How long does it take to fly several million eggs to a country, distribute them, and eventually use them? How many of those flown in eggs survive the journey? Or are they shipped across, which obviously takes longer.

And who supplies all the meat to all the fast food chains globally?
I don't think I've ever seen one advert or news report stating that the food obtained by these chains is acquired locally.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
When I think of fresh food - I expect it to be just that - fresh - which is in my mind a chicken that was running round only a day or so previously.

It really makes you wonder exactly what rubbish is on sale in your local supermarket doesn't it?

We definitely need some rules on labelling here or consumer confidence will take a huge knock once again. Do poultry farmers really need another crisis in their industry on top of the Bird Flu problem?

Methinks, not.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I recently discovered that 'fresh' bananas are also often months old. They can be frozen and stored for as long as 6 months. This has put me off bananas and who knows what else is kept this way before sold to us as 'fresh produce'

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Surely they should be sold as 'Freshly Frozen' or something.

There are some advertisements on the TV that make a big thing about how being freshly frozen can 'lock in the goodness' or something like that.

However, when something is frozen, defrosted and then put on a shelf, that cannot be good or healthy.

Yuk.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by more_serotonin_pls

No they are defrosted before they are put on the shelves so not sold as frozen like you get with peas and other veg etc. I suppose this allows them to be shipped over without going ripe too early.

I can't find any info by googling but I saw this on the news earlier on in the year. No more bananas for me

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Is the price we want to pay for having cheap food?

I heard on BBC Radio 4's "Today" program that more people in the UK are looking at the origin of their food, and some of us seem happy to pay more for locally sourced food.

Strange, how it is cheaper to produce chicken thousands of miles away, ship it to the UK and then sell it.

We only have ourselves to blame. if we want cheap food, then we must expect the supermarkets to meet than demand.

If we are concerned, then we should vote with our £ and only buy food we know is fresh and can be sure of its source. If we adjust our spending, the supermarkets will adjust their buying patterns, so they will not want to lose our loyality.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
I recently discovered that 'fresh' bananas are also often months old. They can be frozen and stored for as long as 6 months. This has put me off bananas and who knows what else is kept this way before sold to us as 'fresh produce'

It has always been my understanding that bananas go black if frozen or exposed to cold. Which is why we never put bananas in the fridge. Source

Bananas are often picked before they ripen and are still green, by the time they reach your market they should be just ripened enough to eat.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Even more reasons to boycott the supermarket!

Unfortunately, my family still believe that the crap they shove in the microwave and oven qualifies as 'food'.

It may be more expensive to buy fresh, locally grown and reared produce but in the long run, what's more important, the ease of a microwave meal or you know, being alive?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

It is a shame that we have to import food to keep costs down. I don't like buying mass reared chicken and would buy only free range meat if I could afford it. However when you're in the supermarket with a budget, what do you buy, the chicken that is £3 or the one thats twice the price?

We have a choice, spend more and support animal welfare and local farmers, or pay less and eat food that has been farmed in the cheapest possible way with animals suffering and flavourless fruit and veg. Most of us can only afford the latter.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
IMO, this reflects the exploitation of low wage countries that supply anything.

How can an item from 5000 miles away be cheaper than something from 20 miles away?

It does seem to boil down to the global scam of international bankers and the fraud that is money.

We feel we are getting a good deal on low cost foods, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the farmers who supply it get way less than what it's sold for.
Otherwise it would not be profitable for a company to ship anything from country to country to be sold.

Take chocolate for example. I watched a documentary a few years back on how the chocolate farmers keep children as slave to pick the beans, the farmers sell the stock for very low prices due to the supposed demand being very very low, yet there are mountains of chocolate and we pay extortionate prices for chocolate. And the typical bars we know seem to have shrunk over the years.

When the King size Mars bars came out, I could barely get my mouth around them, but now they have been reduced to a spindle almost.

There is a surprising association between chocolate and child labor in the Cote d'Ivoire. Young boys whose ages range from 12 to 16 have been sold into slave labor and are forced to work in cocoa farms in order to harvest the beans, from which chocolate is made, under inhumane conditions and extreme abuse.

www.american.edu...

The sad truth about most chocolate products, as reported by reliable news sources and NGOs.

vision.ucsd.edu...

And if those two sites are not enough info for you then just follow this on instead...
www.google.com.ph...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a
That way you take your pick of the tastiest reports.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

It's horrible to think that the most basic of things we eat are only brought to us through slave labour.

Makes me feel guilty buying anything these days, chickens are raised in horrendous conditions, chocolate is the product of slaves and most food is only that in the barest meaning of the word.

I might just start eating grass.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
You make a good point fiftyfifty, and the ability to sway the supermarkets does not rest with those who shop on a budget. However that does not mean that food should be shipped thousands of miles, and I still can not see how it can be cheaper than producing something locally.

I accept we all have to make choices, and those of us with the ability to influence the buying patterns of the major supermarkets should exercise that ability and use our £s.

Some of the posters are upset that our food is produced through slave labour and to us, unacceptable practises. Most of us have a choice in what we shop and eat for. If you like the fact we have cheap food and you continue to buy, then you can not complain about how it is produced. If you have the ability to choose, they use it.

The start point of this thread was an press article which has some definations of fresh chicken. If we are unhappy, we should use our voice with our elected officals. After all, they want to be re-elected!!

apc

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Could you tell the difference before this article?

That's what's important. The notion that it is somehow unhealthy or harmful is laughable speculation at best. If it's got bacterial contamination, that's one thing. But the simple act of freezing it isn't going to hurt anyone. If anything it allows food prices to be as low as they are. During the winter months some things can either be frozen from the last harvest or shipped in from even farther away. Sure, the latter will probably taste better. But it won't be better for you, just more expensive.

And McDonalds uses the same cows everyone else does. Just a whole lot of them at a time.

new topics

top topics

join