It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi King Pardons Rape Victim

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Saudi King Pardons Rape Victim

www.nytimes.com

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has pardoned a female rape victim who had been sentenced to six months in prison and 200 lashes, a Saudi newspaper reported Monday.

Saudi Justice Minister Abdullah bin Muhammed al-Sheik told al-Jazirah newspaper that the pardon does not mean the king doubted the country's judges, but instead acted in the ''interests of the people.'.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

[edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 17-12-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
He ruled in the interest of the people, or did he cave in to worldwide disgust in the treatment of rape victims. Lucky for this girl that her story got worldwide attention.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 17-12-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Who knows!

I hope the King pardoned her based on his own moral fibre but seems more likely to be from the reaction of the International Community.

Really is appalling.

In Criminology I had to do a little paper regarding how victims frequently were apportioned blame by the media and soce regarding rape in Aust. The mentality that the victim is to blame because she/he in some way 'asked for it'[sic]

Although, blaming the victim does happen to a lesser degree in Aust, I, as a woman feel ever so fortunate to live in Australia.

This poor woman was guilty just because she was a woman and then punished for being one.

Absolutely disgraceful!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
It would be nice to see this set as some type of precedence for future cases.

Although, I do think this is an isolated incident and it will business as usual for future rape victims.

It still amazes how in today's day and age... this stuff is still accepted.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Unfortunately one of the effects of a story (albeit a horrific one) that hits the world press in the manner that this did is that it can mask the horrors in the background that have not, for whatever reason, attracted the same attention.

It should not be thought that Saudia Arabia is in any real sense bowing to any kind of international pressure over its human rights record. The barbaric and violent punishments exacted upon criminals (who are rarely if ever provided with any reasonable form of representation when tried) are ludicrously justified by the Saudi authorities as being based on Islamic legal tradition - in other words, they are based on justice as it was conceived in Islam 1400 years ago. In other words, the Saudi justice system is literally the same as it was in the dark ages.

Link to info on Saudi capital punishment

Little if any siginificant effort is being made by any Western or civilised power to do anything about it, despite the fact that the Saudi regime's human rights record is easily comparable and arguably even worse than that of, for example, Saddam Hussain. The hypocrasy of this inaction is overwhelming, and on its own is sufficient to render all UK and US government justification for war in Iraq completely obfuscatory and inane.

In addition to regular (as in hundreds) of public stonings and beheadings each year, religious and political freedom is virtually non-existent, as is freedom of speech. Women have little or no freedom or empowerment at all - unable to vote, completely subjugated to men (to the extent that they cannot be admitted to hospital, be examined by a doctor, travel aborad or even leave the house without the express permission of an immediate male relative), forced to dress modestly, and, as demonstrated by this case, hugely dicriminated against in the justice system. Saudi women make up 5% of the national workforce - the lowest in the entire world.

The Saudi king may have "graciously" pardoned this particular poor wretch, but that should not blind us to the hundreds of similar cases that go unreported and unchallenged by either the media or Western governments every year. Saudi Arabia's government is an infected sore on the conscience of the world's governments, as long as it is allowed to perpetuate its absurdly backward and neanderthal vision of a "society", as long as it is sponsored and supported by those governments who purport to be "developed", "democratic" or "free" - we have no right to suggest we are a civilised society ourselves.

LW

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
yes... poor wench is right...

that is the mentality, very hard to change that... I do feel Saudi Arabia is backward... less developed regarding women's status.

Send Hillary Clinton over there

Or ME, but I would want a big gun and diplomatic immunity!!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

Or ME, but I would want a big gun and diplomatic immunity!!

Sorry, Thurisaz, but I don't think the situation in Saudi Arabia merits a "lol" at all.

I assume your comment about big guns and diplomatic immunity is ironic. Or rather, I don't assume, I hope.

Earlier this year, it was reported that the US has prepared a multi billion dollar arms deal with Saudi Arabia. Link

The US and the UK have between them have made a fortune from arming these despotic dictatorships whilst at the same time condemning the then administration in Iraq for being a despotic dictatorship - and using apparent diplomatic immunity in order to wage war against that administration without the support of the UN.

The last thing that blighted, idiot-led country needs is anyone going there
with any more guns. Trust me.

LW

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
oh for goodness sake... it was a joke!

Can you imagine sending a Western Women over there to change the mentality?

OMG

"this topic warrants no lol at all"

Oh well, excuse me for having a light hearted moment!

I don't care about the arms deal. Sorry, that didn't even occur to me...what is relevant to me is:

If I were in Saudi Arabia, I would want a gun to protect myself from the moronic disgusting men who consider women to be less than cattle!

Oh and then I would want to use the gun to shoot the Judiciary that sentences me to lashes and jail time for being raped!!!!

Oh and then I would want to use the gun again to shoot the King for waiting until the International Community reacted before his ever so royal heiney intervened and pardoned me!!!

Hope I have clarified my stance on this

and here is a 'lol' just cause it is controversial and inappropriate to do so in this thead.

pfffft

oh EDIT:

The seven men who were convicted of raping both the girl and the man were initially sentenced to jail terms from 10 months to five years. Their sentences were increased to between two and nine years after the appeal.
source

Added this both the girl and the man were raped. Seems though, only the "Girl of Qatif" was punished.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
Hope I have clarified my stance on this

and here is a 'lol' just cause it is controversial and inappropriate to do so in this thead.

pfffft

You have indeed clarified your stance - thanks very much for your post and an outstanding contribution to the debate.

LW

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneWeasel
...the Saudi justice system is literally the same as it was in the dark ages.

Little if any siginificant effort is being made by any Western or civilised power to do anything about it, despite the fact that the Saudi regime's human rights record is easily comparable and arguably even worse than that of, for example, Saddam Hussain.

You simply don't understand...they may be Islamofascists, but they're our Islamofascists!

Still, we're keeping the poppys growing in Afghanistan, and bully for the Saudis keeping women off the road...I'm sure the supression of Christianity takes care of those Sunday drivers as well.

Oil? What oil? Cheap drugs and safe roads...Mission Accomplished

I tell ya, it's not our 'enemies that keep me up at night, it's our 'friends'. Ain't it great?

new topics

top topics

join