It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only girls are being born in a village in Greenland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Only girls are being born in a village in Greenland

www.loe.org

In certain villages in northern Greenland something is completely out of whack—only girls are being born. These reports from villages near the U.S. Air Force base in Thule are now being explored by scientists.
But studies conducted a few years ago now coming to light show that in other Arctic regions, the sex ratios of babies are also out of kilter. In 2004 the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Program found a correlation between exposure to PCBs and shifts in the sex ratios of babies born to indigenous mothers living in the northern reaches of Russia. PCBs and other persistent organic chemicals such as pesticides travel from industrial countries up the food chain into the blubber of marine mammals.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.gnn.tv
www.buzzle.com

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I just thought it was an interesting story. We are waisting so much time effort and money trying to lable CO2 as a pollutant and ignoring real pollutants in our invironment. We can't stop the sun from becoming more active an causing a global warming trend. In fact for most life on earth, warmer would be better. But, we certainly can stop putting true pollutants into our environment. Maybe we could convince all the governments on Earth to colaberate to find a hydrogen solution to energy quickly, like a Manhatten pPoject for energy. This kind of real pollution is a much graver worry or should be, than any naturally occuring compund.

www.loe.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/16/2007 by rockets red glare]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
From what I gathered in the article it's not so much of an energy issue as it is pesticides and other industrial pollutants. Sounds like what's needed is alternative chemicals and/or better disposal methods.

Although I do have a pair of alternative theories. One is that Thule Air Force Base was being used as a testing ground for something. The other is that this might be a deliberate test by the Russians to increase their population of females, which in the long run (in say 18-20 years from now) they can increase their population as a whole since far less males are needed to generate a population increase.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This agent that is causing this would have to interfere with the hormone testosterone since we are all conceived female until this hormone is introduced.

I wish they could introduce this agent into my area since the ratios at the local bars are leaning towards too many males .

Maybe China will want to get their hands on this agent so they can balance there male/female ratio again…..

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Kind of like a radar system I worked on that if you got RF radiated on you or worked on the radar for a long time...you were more likely to have girls. Might have just been a rumor but I was told by many people it was true. I have seen no evidence of RF radiation causing this though.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Maybe I need to move to Greenland...

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Maybe I need to move to Greenland...

Great Minds think alike. haha

Yea, it sounds like a pollutant problem. Not one of the worst I seen if the only thing is causes is more female babies. obviously that can't be the only effect though and we should get rid of using harmful chemicals ASAP.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I wonder which gender ratio would be best for a country's demographics. As I have heard Russia's demographic situation is not that good. Perhaps having more women born that men would somehow improve the situation...? If it would happen on a larger scale that is.

Of course in actuality we have too many people in the world as it is.

Still - what would be the best gender ratio be for maximizing population growth?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by cyberdude78

The American air base most likly has nothing to do with it. It seems to be the diet of fish. The pcb's that move up the food chain and are consumed by humans somehow affect the placenta and are causing females to be born. All fetusis start as female. Then some change creats the male. this change isn't happening. This is going on in Russia to a very large extent as well. We use the pesticides way to much. I worry that creating this state of fear about fossle fuels will lead to using alcohol as a subsitute. But, the production of corn for the alcohol would lead to even larger problem because of the pesticides and fertalizers. CO2 is natural in our atmosphere. The PCB's are not, and are dangerous. Global warming is happening but, the scietist don't know why it is happening. We couldn't control the climate if we wanted to. The amount of CO2 we put into the atmosphere is a drop in the bucket compared to the natural sources of it. While we are focusing on something we have no controle over, a real problem that could be adressed is being ignored.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This brings up images of the boys at the airforce base being up to mischievious experimentation.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Alphard

It is the cohort of fertile women that determines how fast the population grows. I don't know the ideal ratio. But conceptually it is easy to see that it takes the male five minutes to accomplish his reproductive errands and the female nine months, thus the number of females is the limiting bottleneck factor. ( This is related to the sociobiological selfish gene argument that rape is in the genetic interest of the male whereas monogamy is in the genetic interest ( I'm using the term monogamy loosely to mean " having some dude stick around during pregnancy" if not the actual father of the child ) of the female - not so oppressed after all ).

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

being a boy in the arctic would have it's advantages in the comming generation. The girls will be fighting over the guys.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockets red glare
reply to post by Skyfloating

being a boy in the arctic would have it's advantages in the comming generation. The girls will be fighting over the guys.

Thats exactly the point I was making.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Skyfloating]

new topics

top topics

join