It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Proffiting Off Our Soldiers Right ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Is Proffiting Off Our Soldiers Right ?

www.cnn.com

Carrie Walsh said that in 2005 her husband lost more than $20,000 in military slot machines. He went AWOL, only to be found sitting in front of a video slot machine on a military post in Seoul.

He was forced to resign from the Army and spent time homeless on the streets of Las Vegas, Nevada.

In 2006, Walsh returned to Maine and tried to reconnect with his wife and their two small children, but his gambling addiction continued. On September 26, 2006, Walsh, 34, went to Maine's Baxter State Park and killed himself with a gunshot to the head.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I think this is sad I had heard contradicting ammounts our government has proffited off these guys losses 1 to 3 million dollars....Sad when we have to use our soldiers like this....When they are doing such an essential service for us.....

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Although the idea of profiting off a soldier like this is a problem, I see a bigger issue at hand. What worries me is that treatment wasn't given to the soldier for his gambling addiction.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Although the idea of profiting off a soldier like this is a problem, I see a bigger issue at hand. What worries me is that treatment wasn't given to the soldier for his gambling addiction.

While I agree with you on that stance aswell,I can not help but to recognise the fact that these machines were not even on the base in recreation that this problem coulda been avoided all together...Its kinda like a revolving door for the govt they pay the checks and get them back with addiction...Just as bad as a drug dealer if ya ask me...Especially if ya have ever known anyone addicted to gambling they often lose everything and some.....

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Gambling is everywhere. If you see gambling addiction as a serious problem to be addressed, I don't think it's fair to just narrow it to soldiers. I've seen people lose their jobs, families, etc., because of scratch-off tickets. Furthermore, think of how many kwiky-mart clerks are out there, and how many get fired for going in the hole on duty.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
While I agree that gambling addiction as a whole deserves treatment, the military already has a specific duty to help out its members. It's a bit like how all families have a moral obligation to help, but with the military there are a few legal obligations along with what they consider protecting an investment.

new topics

top topics

join