It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I tell my girlfriend any of this stuff?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonna
My personal opinion is that for any relationship to work, one must be able to share anything and everything with their partner. In the beginning, it's a process of finding out if you're compatible or not. If you're not, fine... but there's no sense in prolonging the inevitable.

good point.

relationships aren't like playing poker,

but to the OP;
... because both of youse are young and most likely running into
those brick-walls in personal interaction (relationships) for the 1st time
(at whatever level)...
its a crap shoot as how to handle the situation

either put it all out in the open
(because you have determined your view is correct)

or tell your significant other a bit & piece of your worldview in small bites
(because your either unsure of your conviction... or your willing to compromise to her values)

sorry i couldn't help more

[edit on 16-12-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thetruth777

Ease into it. Don't just blow a bunch of information at her.
Feel her out. You may be suprised what she thinks and may even agree. But don't just spring a bunch of information you accept as facts at her. That is the WORST thing you can do.

Besides if you two don't talk much it probly won't work anyway. Which seems to be the case if you don't know what her reaction would be to you believing conspiracy theories. But for the love of the gods EASE into it, feel her out, and just work it into conversations while getting a feel for how she thinks.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Full disclosure... but maybe after youve been together a while

I told my girl a while back and now shes a fellow ATS board member, in fact joined with me within a day.....

She has told me i talk about this stuff way to much though, so i think i owe her a couple of nights free of conversation about UFOs and conspiracy/cover ups.
either way if your gonna hide it from her you may as well find some one else. what fun is it to have some one care about not share a passion that you obviously care a lot about???

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Dude, I can't get past where you say you keep no secrets from each other. Of course, I don't know you, so I'm talking about myself, when I say...even if you are not lying to her, she is definitely lying to you. Start lying to her now, live three lives as a communist spy. Communication is intrinsically undesirable, a temporarily necessary evil, you are surrounded by hostile DNA. Misunderstanding is essential for a sexual relationship, getting turned on is dreaming with your eyes open, perfect knowledge is not sexy. If she could see you truly she wouldn't want to have sex with you, if you could see her clearly you couldn't get it up. In general I tell everyone every day a small lie( not the main point of whatever anecdote ) just to remind myself that I am not among friends and that every relationship requires a certain distance. Anyway, welcome to my satanic relationship tips. Probably this is not helpful but only applies to me ( he said with polite insincerity). Not everyone is a psychopath.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It’s not so much what you say but how you say it.

For example,

If you say loudly with eyes wide open and arms outstretched with a twitch in your upper lip

“ BUSH IS AN EVIL REPTILE ALIEN BENT ON CORRUPTIONG AND DOMINATING THE WORLD” (example people not my belief)

You might get a quick “stage left exit” from your newly found love

But

If your girlfriend said “Hey what did you do last night?” and you say “ I was just reading some stuff and posting some stuff on ATS”. If she says “What’s ATS?” and you say “Well ATS is where people come together to discuss alternative topics like UFO’s, Loch Ness, Bigfoot and other stuff, it’s just a hobby of mine and I find it interesting”.

Then gauge her reaction. It’s a “oh really? Cool.” Then maybe you can discuss it further. If it’s a “oooooh your one of thoooose people” type of reactions then I would suggest leaving your hobby too yourself.

But in relationships not everyone likes everyone’s hobbies.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
To "thetruth777"

Go for broke. Full disclosure. Get it off your chest. I'm surprised you're that worried about it. Being a CT isn't a disease. Most girlfriends I've had just kinda roll their eyes in disinterest and asked where we going for dinner. Never a deal breaker though. A few have been genuinely interested, but not enough to keep up with me.

I talk CT smack to my current girl all the time. I don't know wether she believes me or not really. She doesn't have to. I've been known to change my own opinion more than once anyway.

You're making too much of a big deal about it. Being a CT enthusiast is not like you're working undercover for the CIA or something.

Is it important to you that your girl be interested in this stuff?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
If she dumps you for being "one of thoooose people" good riddance. You are who you are.

Let her know that you don't even necessarily believe what your own opinions are. After all, who really knows for a fact that we really are all copper-tops? Or that men literally came from Mars 20,000 years ago and interbreeded with the fine looking monkey-women?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Who cares what she thinks of you. She will eventually know what kind of a guy you are and by that time it will be too late. Women always try to change us anyway and they almost always fail. Be a man and stop worrying about what others think of you. There is plenty of fish in the sea.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Well, do you believe or don't you?

Have you the courage of your convictions? Many who have presumed to advise you on this thread clearly do not have the courage of theirs.

If you are a person of honesty and integrity, you will want the one you love to know as much about you as possible. You will wish to be as transparent to them as a glass of water. You will want to share your deepest hopes, desires and beliefs. This is the nature of love.

Such extreme transparency is impossible, of course, for you or for anybody else. We all have things to hide - things we are ashamed of, or perhaps cannot reveal for professional reasons. Still, if you are in love, you will regret this, and want to tell your loved one as much about yourself as you can.

Q: So why are you afraid to tell your girlfriend about your beliefs?

A: Because she'll think I'm a nut and run screaming from me.

Well, what of it? If she's not prone to your kind of thinking today, she will not suddenly become susceptible to it tomorrow, or in a few months' or years' time, no matter how much you try to indoctrinate or 'prepare' her. The espousal of marginal belief systems doesn't seem to have anything to do with reality and truth; if it did, such belief systems would have no takers. On the contrary, such belief has everything to do with personality. And personalities don't change very markedly in adulthood, except under the influence of drugs or extreme physical or psychological trauma. You're not planning to drug, beat or brainwash her, are you?

What I am saying is, she will either accept your beliefs or she won't. In the first instance, congratulations - you've found a fellow-believer and I expect the two of you will be very happy. In the second, well, she may be (i) an unusually mature, self-confident and tolerant person who is willing to accept you for your other qualities in spite of your strange beliefs, (ii) an unusually naive person who thinks it does not matter and will accept you anyway because she loves you madly, or (iii) a fairly normal and ordinary person who will, indeed, run like hell as soon as you spill the beans.

In any case, what does it matter? If she accepts you either because or despite your beliefs, then all is well. If she flees you, then all is well, too, because neither of you would have been happy with each other for very long.

Look: if you really loved this woman and thought of her as a potential life partner, you wouldn't want to hide anything from her. The title of your post would not have been 'Should I tell?' but 'How should I tell?' As it stands, the title suggests you value your conspiracy theories more than you do your girlfriend. Are they really so valuable?

dgtempe

I've given your post a star for this:

I would start with Bush and his agenda, after all, that's real, and you're not going DIRECTLY into the fact the moon is manmade, or the fact the tv can watch us back. Save THOSE for later.

Magnificent! What a depth of self-knowledge and psychological insight is contained in those few words. I salute you and wish you strength and ultimate triumph in the struggle.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Anytime ive ever tried to tell a girlfriend, or even close friends the things ive heard of, it never goes right. They can never comprehend or just simply dont want to comprehend what is real, but hey, there happy so they can stay happy.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
If you tell her like it is, it is the same as telling her about all your problems. You know he's a nice guy but he has alot of problems.

You know he's pretty smart but he doesn't think like the mass feed lot standard news viewer. He must be a wierdo. a cute wierdo but a wierdo.

then theres plan B)
help her reach the conclusions . then she's the CT and your her new confidant.

You: "wow look at the way Bush's eyes have slits in them." Oh well ....by the way have you seen this new National Geographic SNAKE issue?

Her: Omg baby promise you won't tell anyone but I think Bush is a reptile. No REALLY *girl shrill* *jumps up and down* OMG I can't believe I told you that.

You: No Baby it's ok. Now that YOU said that , the more I think about it your RIGHT. *make love* * smoke cigarette and happen to find ATS.*

good luck.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LouisXI

Definantly plan B man. Though not quite like that is the way to go. Talk about the issues like I said but just "bounce ideas off her" challenge her intellectually.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   

I'd take it one step at a time -- i'm not into as many of the consipiracies you seem to be into but I think this advice holds true. Introduce her to these issue by presenting all sides of an argument, show her the evidence and allow her to make her own informed decisions. It could end up being a good topic of conversation.

Honesty is essential to an ongoing healthy relationship -- this I do know to be true.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   
if you love this girl then tell her or better yet show her what you do.
she might even get into it. i wasnt into this forum i got in it because my boyfriend is in it. ive been in for 2 years and now i am finding an interest in it now. im having a blast and im learning new things.

if shes a keeper share yourself with her.

good luck to you

Peace

Ram

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Tell her about Ron Paul - Thats all you need to do..
Compare the votes - Show her how Ron Paul had 76% of votes..

Print out the graphs.. etc..

She not need to know about the heavy stuff.. yet.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Ram]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I agree with the posters here who say "its not what you say, but how you say it".

You are not looking for agreement with your beliefs, but that others accept you as you are.

An example: I have the book "The Mars Mystery" currently lying around in my bathroom. When I get a visitor, I dont hide that book or cover it up, I just leave it lying there. I am not hiding anything. At the same time, if I know my visitoress is not open for that kind of stuff or not knowledgable in it, I dont start discussing it with her....unless she says "Whats that book all about?".

Very simple.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   

It's something to do a little bit at a time. Dump it on her all at once, she might thing you're some sort of whack job.

Better to bring it up a little bit at a time in passing, or conversation. Might get her curiosity going.

Or she just might not have any interest in it at all, much like my wife.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
It's a "no" from me...

HOWEVER

I'm only saying "no" to, for example, if you said to her, "I believe this", etc. That will most likely freak her out and maybe change her opinion of you.

I would say (as an example), "Some people have been talking to me about 9/11 and they've said this...".

If she doesn't seem interested, it's no big deal really. It used to drive me up the wall knowing most of my family didn't care about these things, but that's they're decision.

Let us know how it goes.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Don't tell her you even come to this website if you really care about her.

There's a good chance she will find it and you lame, especially you, for being into such things. It may make you look 'nerdy' or like a 'dork' to her.

My ex-girlfriend threw a fit when she found out about this website. Saying I was stupid and crazy, that this forum is stupid n crazy, etc. Anything I'd mention as something I read but didnt agree with, she would think I believe what Im telling her .. for example, Reptilians. Made a joke about them and showed her one time that people really believe in alien Reptilians, and she thought I believed in them too! And I kept telling her No, I couldnt be more clear in my description, and yet .. her simple, simple mind could not equate words coming out of my mouth with anything other than myself. In this case talking about something you disagree with or dont believe in. Needless to say we broke up over some other things, but im not going to lie and say ATS had nothing to do with it. It did probably push her further into the corner she was already starting to go into, I guess.

If you love her you wont tell her

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Runetang it sounds to me like you were just involved with the wrong person. I mean... jumping to the conclusion that you believe in something when you said you didn't. She already had some issues and you're better off without her.

When you're with the right person who shares your interests, it's so much better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join