It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 Million year old kettlebottoms appear in a coal mine - Svalbard Norway

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Older than you might think

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I have absolutely no idea, stone axes? I wasn't talking about huge dirty great buildings or anything, just the small stuff that helped us along.

You'll be amazed. The earliest stone axes weren't even made by people like you and me; they were made by our ancestors, Homo habilis and Homo erectus.

They are about two and a half million years old.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

HAHAHHAHA!

Im sorry that was a really funny joke!

That was a joke right?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
What is amazing to ne, as a Christian, is how you atheists on this thread think you know quite a bit about the Earth and it's history, yet you really don't know much at all. You look at ancient tree rings and say that it was all part of something that came from nothing at all and sort of self created itself into being all by itself. Oh, now that is really smart don't you think. Yet I look at the same tree rings and by them I can say that the Earth is millions if not billions of years old, and not cotradict a word of the Bible which I believe is accurate. It is you atheists who live in la la land storybook fantasy world. You simply hate God for whatever reason to the point that you can't accept an alternate view. This makes you narrow minded don't you think? You'll never get answers to question when all you'll listen to is "the one atheistic viewpoint". If it seems like I'm trying to bat you about the ears, it's because you have it coming. Why don't you actually try to explain things in your atheistic way and not just resort to name calling. People who do that, do it because they are unsure of what they believe in.

Oh the irony, denigrating science and then claiming some old book is the truth, hypocrisy much?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   

You simply hate God for whatever reason to the point that you can't accept an alternate view.

I don't hate him. I just don't think he's a very nice person, that's all

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Ok, what about the "kettlebottoms"? I don't see those in the pictures.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by EverAfter
Ok, what about the "kettlebottoms"? I don't see those in the pictures.

Fossil stumps are common in the roofs of some deep coal mines, where they are called kettlebottoms by miners. Kettle bottoms are a hazard to miners because they sometimes fall out of the roof of the mine after the coal has been removed.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide

What is amazing to ne, as a Christian, is how you atheists on this thread think you know quite a bit about the Earth and it's history, yet you really don't know much at all. You look at ancient tree rings and say that it was all part of something that came from nothing at all and sort of self created itself into being all by itself. Oh, now that is really smart don't you think. Yet I look at the same tree rings and by them I can say that the Earth is millions if not billions of years old, and not cotradict a word of the Bible which I believe is accurate. It is you atheists who live in la la land storybook fantasy world. You simply hate God for whatever reason to the point that you can't accept an alternate view. This makes you narrow minded don't you think? You'll never get answers to question when all you'll listen to is "the one atheistic viewpoint". If it seems like I'm trying to bat you about the ears, it's because you have it coming. Why don't you actually try to explain things in your atheistic way and not just resort to name calling. People who do that, do it because they are unsure of what they believe in.

Oh the irony, denigrating science and then claiming some old book is the truth, hypocrisy much?

No, I am not doing that. I have a plausable explaination and have not contradicted science. I just wonder though if you could express opinions when referring to Christians without the tag end insults at the end, like maybe discussing the subject matter. For me, the Bible and science are in total agreement. But then, I wasn't asking for you to approve of my Holy book as I was taking the task of "giving and opinion" of the science in my way of viewing it, as you do yours.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

WHAT IF

the earth is . . . GRADUATING BOOT CAMP FOR LEADERS

wherein God incarnates individuals He has selected to rule and reign with Christ over countless galaxies over countless eons in countless dimensions . . .

I see that you are a Mormon............I was raised that way....

I hold fast to Pagan ways nowadays.

Have a joyous Solstice everyone!

[edit on 18-12-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
5000?

I have to disappoint you but Earth and Solar system are 5 billions years old. And they tell you about it even in school.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tep200377

I don't think its that some people believe the 'earth' is 5000 years old, bit of confusion there...as creationist believe that 'beasts walked the earth long before people'...its that 'people' in gods image (homo sapiens) are 5000 years old.

written history et cetera...so even an evangelical creationist knows fossilized matter exists from millions of years back.

so, sorry to ruin any Christian belief bashing.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by blueyedevil666]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueyedevil666

I don't think its that some people believe the 'earth' is 5000 years old, bit of confusion there...as creationist believe that 'beasts walked the earth long before people'...its that 'people' in gods image (homo sapiens) are 5000 years old.

written history et cetera...so even an evangelical creationist knows fossilized matter exists from millions of years back.

so, sorry to ruin any Christian belief bashing.

So, where in the bible can i read about this. You seem certain in your post, so I guess you can reffer to this some place?

btw: do you really think God is a humanoid, keeping in mind that he is a spirit?

First link on Google : www.christiananswers.net...

These guys are not christians ?

[edit on 19-12-2007 by tep200377]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

sure:

If dinosaurs existed 200 million years before Adam and Eve it does not present any problem to a literal understanding of the Genesis record

The Bible refers to many the common animals we know today. The list includes lions, wolves, bears, sheep, cattle and dogs along with various kinds of birds, rodents, reptiles, and insects. What is interesting is that this extensive list includes three animals that we no longer recognize. These three are (in the original Hebrew language) tanniyn, bahemowth (yes, it’s spelled correctly—at least as close as we can get in Roman characters), and livyathan.

Although we alter the spelling of behemoth and Leviathan slightly, we still use those same words in bibles today. However, tanniyn is always translated into another word when we write it in English. Tanniyn occurs 28 times in the Bible and is normally translated “dragon.” It is also translated “serpent,” “sea monster,” “dinosaur,” “great creature,” and “reptile.” Behemoth and Leviathan are relatively specific creatures, perhaps each was a single kind of animal. Tanniyn is a more general term, and it can be thought of as the original version of the word “dinosaur.” The word “dinosaur” was originally coined in 1841, more than three thousand years after the Bible first referred to “Tanniyn.” To make things clearer, we constructed the following table comparing the scientific names with the Biblical names tanniyn, behemoth, and Leviathan.

Leviathan has the following attributes according to Job chapter 41, Psalm 104:25,26 and Isaiah 27:1. This is only a partial listing—just enough to make the point.

* “No one is so fierce that he would dare stir him up.”
* “Who can open the doors of his face, with his terrible teeth all around?”
* “His rows of scales are his pride, shut up tightly as with a seal; one is so near another that no air can come between them; they are joined one to another, they stick together and cannot be parted.”
* “His sneezings flash forth light, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning. Out of his mouth go burning lights; sparks of fire shoot out. Smoke goes out of his nostrils, as from a boiling pot and burning rushes. His breath kindles coals, and a flame goes out of his mouth.”
* “Though the sword reaches him, it cannot avail; nor does spear, dart, or javelin. He regards iron as straw, and bronze as rotten wood. The arrow cannot make him flee; slingstones become like stubble to him. Darts are regarded as straw; he laughs at the threat of javelins.”
* “On earth there is nothing like him, which is made without fear.”
* Leviathan “played” in the “great and wide sea” (a paraphrase of Psalm 104 verses 25 and 26—get the exact sense by reading them yourself).
* Leviathan is a “reptile [a] that is in the sea.” (Isaiah 27:1)

The description of the scales is interesting. Several verses describe these great scales. Compared to Leviathan’s armor, iron is like straw and arrows ca not make it flee. Let’s face it, an arrow can do a lot of damage to a crocodile or alligator. This is not a description of either of them—or any living animal we are aware of.

It is hard to read Job 41:18-21 without realizing the Bible is telling us that Leviathan breathes fire. That alone will eliminate almost every living animal. Yes, there is one animal like that in today’s world. It is called a bombardier beetle. This beetle is a native of Central America, and has a nozzle in its hind end that acts like a little flame thrower. It sprays a high-temperature jet of gas (fueled by hydroquinones and hydrogen peroxide with oxidative enzymes) for protection. Now, if a Central American beetle can do it, so could Leviathan. By the way, crocodiles and alligators are out of the picture on this one, don’t you agree?

Before we leave the topic of fire, there are two more notes you may find interesting:
* The history of every culture is filled with stories of fire-breathing dragons. If you think about it, in all the past ages wouldn’t someone have made up a story of a fire-breathing lion or something? Nobody did because the dragon stories are based on truth, and only “dragons” breathed fire. It is easy to imagine Leviathan as a member of the dragon (tanniyn) family. (Plus, Isaiah 27:1 strongly implies this connection.)
* Many fossil dinosaur skulls contain unexplained, empty passages. Scientists have not been able to guess the reason for these passages. Would it make sense that some dinosaurs used these passages as “gas tanks” for the combustible mixture used to “breathe fire?” We believe it does.

Comparing all this information to the description in your kid’s dinosaur book, you may come up with the conclusion that Leviathan is a kronosaurus. We have heard (and read) other suggestions, but the kronosaurus is the best match of any known creature to the description of Leviathan.

As the topic of Noah’s Flood is discussed (a Flood that buried billions of creatures including dinosaurs—and thus the main cause of most dinosaur fossils), the vital matter of salvation can also be covered. After all, Noah’s Ark is a picture of salvation in Christ. Just as Noah had to go through a doorway to be saved, so each one of us must go through a doorway—the Lord Jesus Christ.

There are a number of places where it appears that dinosaurs or other similar creatures are mentioned in the scriptures. Remember that the Bible was translated into English long before the word "dinosaur" was coined. However, the word "dragon" appears 21 times in the Old Testament alone. "You shall tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shall you trample under feet" (Psalm 91:13). From the context it is clearly speaking about a real creature that it would be impressive and intimidating to step on! Jeremiah 51:34 tells, "he has swallowed me up like a dragon..." which brings to mind the way many carnivorous reptiles swallow their prey whole. Both dragons of the sea (Psalm 74:13) and field (Isaiah 43:20) are mentioned. Indeed, Genesis 1:21 can best be translated: "And God created great sea monsters..." One such sea monster became sufficiently well-known to the ancients to be given the special name "Rahab" (Isaiah 51:9). The prophet Ezekiel likens Pharaoh to a sea monster that invaded the Nile river and stirred up the mud (32:2). The Hebrew word, "Tannin," is from the root meaning "to extend." The language conjures up an image of a long-necked plesiosaur-like creature paddling up the river and stirring up mud from the Nile delta with its flippers. Just such a creature is depicted by the ancient Egyptians who may have netted one just as Ezekiel describes in verse 3.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   

No it does not indicate that we 'look' like 'him' rather our souls are in his image...your body is just a vessel.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I didn't ask about your interpretation of what these bible beeings wore. In this OP we discuss how old the Earth is.

I really dont't see where you are getting at with that post regarding to how old the earth is.

I asked you if you could find any statements that makes earth older than 5000 years old in the bible.

Ps: The behemoth is described in the amplified as a hippo, which when you read futher down in the description where it says:

- It lies under lotus plants.
- It hides in tall grass in the swamps.
- The lotus plants hide it in their shade.
- Poplar trees near streams surround it.
- It is not afraid when the river roars.
- It is secure even when the Jordan River rushes against its mouth.

The definition in and of itself is not very specific towards any one animal rather it just says it's something monstrous in size, power or appearance.

Why talk about dragons and fires, beats me..
The beetle is an insect. Insects has other characteristics than mammals, end of story.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Man just read the bible and see for yourself. Tried to answer your question.

or at the very least do a web search with keywords and you'll see what i was trying to say.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The silly thing about all of this is the simple thought that we can measure time as an absolute quantity and assign values to it that will describe events. Can you prove that time is constant or that the processes of fossilization many millions of "years" ago (can you prove the stability of orbit or physical laws as constant over that period for instance)proceeded at the same rate under the same conditions as the present day? There is so little evidence to support anything being said that often these discussions remind one more of vollyball sets for a spike in the direction of some religious or philosophical ideal than discussion into the unknown.

(Don't shoot the messenger)

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by blueyedevil666

Brilliant, but how dare you fail to bash religion?
Here are a couple of sources about things found in coal that might fail to meet certain predetermined conclusions:

www.discoverynews.us...

www.s8int.com...

www.strangemag.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Actually, no, I'm not a Mormon and have never been one.

But there is a Scripture about ruling and reigning with Christ. I believe the Scripture. Who knows what it means PRECISELY.

But I have concluded, inferred that this planet is a boot camp for leaders. It certainly not a life-long Hawaiian vacation for most.

And, I do believe that in Genesis

BEFORE

the world was

VOID AND WITHOUT FORM

there WELL COULD have been and QUITE PROBABLY WERE

countless cycles of mushing it all about and starting over.

I do believe that the "ET's" fallen angels/watchers/nephilium

are here in cahoots with the NWO folks TO DECEIVE those who might be deceived while affording God a grand opportunity to give

ALL CREATION

vastly intense and vastly dramatic illustrations, object lessons

about

the consequences of following God's way vs rebellion and any other way.

I don't think even scientists understand time well . . .

and, the religion of science is AT LEAST AS FLAWED as most expressions of authentic Christianity. And inauthentic Christianity can be amongst the worst value orientation.

But loving as Jesus Loved/loves is hard to beat . . . and hard to faithfully live out day by day.

But ALL else will turn to disintegrated muons or whatever before God's Word will fail in the tiniest aspect.

We may not comprehend it more than in flawed part . . . but it will survive all our ignorance and assaults as well as the assaults of hell which knows quite well how accurate and valid it is.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well I'm not a young earth creationist but I'll speculate on their behalf for a second since at least I do believe in special creation. The chief problem with modern geology is the fallacious assumption that we have been in some kind of steady state and that all geological events have been gradual over millions of years. The Bible instead claims that world history is dominated by cataclysms.

Thus there was a catastrophe that caused a worldwide flood that buried much of the world in water, mud and debris and apparently there were some severe geological disturbances that went along with it. Prior to the flood, conditions on earth were far different. Carbon 14 production was much lower skewing all of our dating results.

The buried tree is simply a result of an ancient catastrophe and does not require millions of years to be formed. Indeed modern day volcanic eruptions show how easily it is to bury things under tons of rock or create instant fossils.

Now I happen to believe that a creation event that took billions of years is entirely consistent with the Bible, but that is another story entirely.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

You people need to open your mind! The Jews buried them on one of their many trips to Norway. Only when you embrace the holy spirit will you see that ignorance is bliss.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join