It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blade Runner: The final cut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Just seen Blade Runner the final cut. wow, what a fantastic ride. it's better than ever. I've met Ridley Scott at the comic con and he described the changes to the film. I have to admit, I couldn't tell much difference, but I had not seen the film in 8 years or so. I saw it at a Landmark theater here and I felt as if I had been sent back to the 80's. Harrison Ford, of course the best actor of all time boggles the mind.

I remember meeting Sean Young months ago at the comic con and I called her a "Clone" and she seemed disturbed, But anyway, if you haven't seen the movie I won't tell you what it's about. just check it out soon, it's coming out on DVD soon. It's a scifi classic.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It's among my personal top ten SciFi films of all time.

What a great film!

I've always preferred the OG cut, with the voice over, you know?

It's a good thing I saw it in the theater when it first came out, 'cause the second time was at the drive-in on a date, and we didn't actually watch much of the movie, if youknowwhatImean...

That's another reason I'm so found of it I suppose.

Maybe Sean Young looked at you funny because she didn't play a clone, she portrayed a replicant!

Her finest role, dang she was hot in that!

And that goes for Daryl Hannah, too, so vulnerable and yet so deadly!

Thanks for jogging some old memories, Jedi!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
but have you seen the final cut? if not It comes out tuesday on Dvd, I think it's on Blueray too. it's a great film as you know. When I met sean young I hadn't see the movie in a long time and I could rarely remember her, she's older now and not as cute. It was nice that she signed my poster. I also talked to the guy who played sebastian and the old guy with the glasses, turner was it? I forget his name. he has his eyes picked out by the replicant. in general, I will definitely get the movie and watch it again.

I've noticed lots of things as seen in attack of the clones, remember those big ships with the asian woman talking on the tv, off world thing. I think I saw that in the beggining of attack of the clones and in runner you can see the millenium falcon make an appearance.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
but have you seen the final cut?

Not yet, does it reinstate the voiceover?

When I met sean young I hadn't see the movie in a long time and I could rarely remember her, she's older now and not as cute.

IMO, she's never been as cute since, as she was in "Blade Runner."

Must have been the hair styling, make-up and lighting.

It was nice that she signed my poster.

Yeah! Especially after you called her a "clone!"

I also talked to the guy who played sebastian

Now that's cool!

I've always been a big fan of Bill Sanderson!

His interpretation of his roles have always had an understated, vulnerability to them I find endearing.

Even when he plays such sleazy characters as the Hotel owner/manager E.B. Farnum from the HBO series "Deadwood."

If you didn't get a chance to watch the series when it was new, set aside a weekend, (or two) and by all means rent it and sit down for some great, funny, and gut wrenching human drama!

It's been compared to "The Sopranos" meet the old west.

What a great show that was!

Another great crossing of genres was the short lived tv series "Firefly" and the theatrical movie based on the series "Serenity."

This was a blending of a sci-fi, star wars type future with an old west sensibility.

Believable, engaging stories, fleshed out by capable actors, with thrills and spills and down to earth character-based humor.

It was also hailed at the time for their ground breaking effects work.

They employed a "hand-held" style to the CG sequences of outerspace stuff that lent a very real and immediate quality to the visuals.

Gave it a kind of "you are there" feel to it, like the difference between a news camera following a live event and the staging of big CG effects in other movies.

I did a search and I was surprised to find there were no hits on a discussion about it here.

If you get a chance, again, set aside a weekend, and watch the series and then the movie, you'll be blown away.

Much as I was the first time I experienced "Blade Runner."

Thanks for the thread, Jedi, this has been fun!

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
yeah no problem. well, I called her a clone because I don't know if replicants are robots or replications of other people? does it say that in the movie. because they have blood and act human in everyway. And you never get to see their machine parts other than their glowing eyes, terminator. I guess they are robotic?

I don't know what to get, the hd, blueray or just the regular versions. I'm going to gett the ultimate edition with the case, it's very nice..and no the voiceover is gone.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Central to the story of "Blade Runner" are 'replicants', a slave-class of artificially created beings. A product of the Tyrell Corporation, replicants are relegated to an existence of subservience, carrying out tasks too hazardous (such as mining) or menial (such as prostitution) for human beings on off-world colonies. Despite their second class status, these genetically engineered beings are in many ways superior to humans, such as being endowed with greater strength and intellect. However, in order to maintain a semblance of control, replicants were granted a maximum life span of four years and implanted with false memories to further solidify their subservience. Unfortunately, it seems that the replicants were designed too well, as some of them have been able to develop emotions and sentience, which has led to a number of bloody replicant revolts. Consequently, they are banned on Earth, and any replicants found trying to infiltrate into human society are 'retired' by specialized law enforcement officers known as 'blade runners'.
Source | Blade Runner: A Retrospective | by Anthony Leong

So they're closer to being clones than robots.

Interesting article, I highly recommend you have a look.

It opened my eyes to several hints throughout the film alluding to Deckard's true nature.

I don't want to be a spoiler to those few who haven't actually seen the movie so I'll leave it at that, but be forewarned, the article exposes key plot points.

Hmmm no voiceover, eh?

Oh well, I always felt it lent support to the noir aspect of the film, but who am I to question the decisions of the film's creator?

At least the score by Vangelis is intact, no?

BTW, as I'm sure you know, Blade Runner was loosely based upon a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick, called: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

You'll find a good article concerning the above on Wiki:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Cheers!

new topics

top topics

join