It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS was better before !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
ATS used to be great in 2003/2004, there were many less members, and more interesting stories. Now it's just a marsh full of religious fundies telling people they are going to hell and other nutcases talking about Nibiru and the Reptilians 24h/24h...

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
ATS used to be great in 2003/2004, there were many less members, and more interesting stories. Now it's just a marsh full of religious fundies telling people they are going to hell and other nutcases talking about Nibiru and the Reptilians 24h/24h...

Anytime you wanna jump in there with a Good thread, please don't let any of us hold you back.

I like the Nibiru topics, rarely look at most reptilians topics, and the fundies, well I won't go there.

Bump so old threads, and show us.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
There is still the same ammount of good stuff, but there is ever more of the Garbage.

JUst learn to not look at the garbage, then you will realise how far ATS has come, with more members we get more perspective, and with more members we get more garbage.

Seems latly the garbage has outweighed the good stuff, but never the less, ATS is in a good direction.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It's the same with any user-generated content. Some of it is going to appeal to you and some of it isn't. Admittedly there are some very very strange threads popping up on ATS recently but you don't have to read them do you?

Just pick and choose what takes your fancy and gets your interest. It really is as simple as that.

Also, it's kinda inevitable given the increase in exposure that ATS has had recently that a whole new influx of members will join up. With this increased traffic will also come some people who are not quite as well versed in the topics being discussed as others.

It's live and let live and ignore what you don't like.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As a newcomer to ATS I obviously can't speak to what it might've been like back in 2003-2004 but for the month that I have been reading ATS I would have to say that there is a pretty low signal/noise ratio. While there is some interesting stuff to be found you've really got to wade through an awful lot of silliness in order to find it.

Darkside -- I've been watching your discussion with the individual who, by all appearances, seems to be a highschooler who failed physics yet deems himself to be the next Steven Hawking. These are the sorts of people that one saw on Usenet all the time. And since Usenet seems to be in the midst of its death throes as these web forums are taking its place, all of these Usenet "kooks" are migrating to the forums.

Call me old fashioned, but I think that I preferred good old Usenet. Yeah, it's not as slick, you don't have avatars and all of the other bells-and-whistles, but at the same time, on Usenet the "kooks" don't get points when someone replies to their inanities and if you just don't want to see the thread any longer you had the good old "kill filter".

I'm really not at all sure what could be done on ATS to alleviate this situation. I've seen a thread or two about instituting a "negative flag/star system" but I think that would be fraught with a whole sack full of its own problems. Quite possibly the only solution would be to charge some kind of a subscription fee and put together a crack squad of moderators with the authority to determine when a person and/or topic is pure nonsense and then close the thread. But I wouldn't imagine that either the ATS "3 amigos" nor the ATS members would be particularly amenable to that.

So for now, I guess we just keep those hip-waders close at hand and continue wading.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
ATS used to be great in 2003/2004, there were many less members, and more interesting stories.

Well now, are you aware that we can actually look back into that period in ATS History and compare?

Let's look...
Popular threads for week of October 11, 2003
Popular threads for week of October 18, 2003
Popular threads for week of October 25, 2003
Popular threads for week of November 1, 2003

And let's have a similar look to the same period in 2007...
Popular threads for week of October 14, 2007
Popular threads for week of October 21, 2007
Popular threads for week of October 28, 2007
Popular threads for week of November 4, 2007

I don't know about you, but I see an increase in both relevant threads titles and meaningful participation.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This could simply be a case of literally running out of "New" topics to discuss.And unfortunately many new members do not take the time to search topics before starting a new thread, so the members who have been here awhile get frustrated with viewing the same article,the same youtube video, the same book review, etc...
Honestly though..the Amigos are doing everything they can to keep the site fresh and new, by adding new expert forums for us, and did you pay any attention to the Revolution at all???Seriously, perhaps you should look into that.ATS is awesome, stop focussing on the negative.
AD

new topics

top topics

join