It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any music producers out there on ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Without a keyboard it wont be much fun (I wouldnt even know how to operate a VST without a Midi-Keyboard).

A MIDI-Keyboard doesnt have any sounds of its own in it. Its just a keyboard that gets its sound from VST. So that you dont have to use your computer-keyboard as the keyboard. Get it?

anyway: Put the VSTs into the Plug-Ins-Folder. Open the "Arrangement" side in Ableton Love. Open a MIDI-Track and put it on red (record). Associate a VST with that track, open the VST. Normally you choose different "presets" (sounds pre-created by supplier) directly in the instrument, but unfortunately ableton doesnt do that. Ableton opens a seperate window (down on the left) for the instrument. Click on the preset-name and you will see a LIST of all kinds of preset-sounds. Go through the list and listen to all the sounds.

Later, choose a sound you like and twist and turn the knobs to see how you can change the sound with your synthesizer. Add some ableton effects to it by choosing something from the audio-effects-rack in ableton.

Etc.etc.etc.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Right here we go just finished this tune. Using ugo rez and crystal. Its called Logumo. Don't ask me why its called that the name just popped into my head.

www.isound.com...

Its not any good but i still need to get use to these plug ins. The fruits of your experience and my labour lol.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Argos

Alright. Proof that you actually used one of those free VSTs. Remember that almost any VST, while it may have around 25-50 presets, you can get thousands of sounds out of it.

The following VST used to cost 250, now only costs 99. I suggest you download the free DEMO of it and click through about 100 presets and loops:

www.cakewalk.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Nice one thanks again. Just downloaded it will check it out.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Argos

Its fun helping out a newbie.

The problem with the demo-version is that it looses sound every 12 seconds or so. But by clicking through the sound-list, you get an impression of what it can do.

z3ta is one of the most powerful trance-tools I know of, once you learn how to operate it.

[edit on 18-12-2007 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Do you know of any good vst's for heavy basslines if i want to make things a bit harder.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Argos

check out the basslines in z3ta. You do know the presets-list, yes? In that list there are basslines. If you want to put them on automatic loop, click on ARP (right hand top) and then on "Pattern". There are HUNDREDS of patterns in their. If you wanna make the bass harder, click, push and pull various effects.

You can get pretty hard basslines with it.

With a bit more work you can also do that with a free-vst, of course.

For basslines I personally use a software called refx nexus. But its costly. It has hundreds of pre-programmed trance-basslines that you can vary, twist, distort, automate, etc. But that can also be done with z3ta.

If thats too much work for you, you will have to purchase or free.download bassline-loops. The problem with most of these is that they are over-used in the industry. If you take a sample I can usually hear where you got it from. Then, on the other hand....most casual listeners out there cant.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Just playing with z3ta now there are so many presets this could take a while lol. Making the music is harder now i actually have to compose instead of jumbling together already made riffs and leads. Especially using all these plug ins.

Confusing stuff. Have a feeling i'll get hold of that nexus vst to.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Argos

Remember that its all easier if you hook a MIDI-Keyboard to your computer.

Also, remember that composing is the real stuff and only working from pre-made samples is for loosers.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Yeah with that midi keyboard thing, i can do just the same with my pc computer keyboard Just have to map the keys.

And here is a bit of help i think i can offer you have just finished doing all of these myself. On this website they have some free tutorials for ableton 5. Some of the free "demos" cover arrangement view and clips in arrangement view.

www.computer-training-software.com...

I'd say 10/10 for helpfulness i thought you might get some benefit from these as you don't like using arrangement view in ableton.

BTW do you know of any good arrangement and composition of trance music tutorials any where on the web? I have to get away from using already made riffs and such and the tutorials or a recommended book would make this learning curve alot quicker.

Thanks again for all the help i think when i make a really good tune that i like next i will call it skyfloating (if you dont mind of course) to say thanks. Pretty cool name anyway.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argos

Yeah with that midi keyboard thing, i can do just the same with my pc computer keyboard. Just have to map the keys.

Well....the midi-keyboard is more fun and easier. Someday. Period.

I'd say 10/10 for helpfulness i thought you might get some benefit from these as you don't like using arrangement view in ableton.

I know how to use it, I just preferred cubase more (which has a vista issue). I dont like using the session-arrangement though. Thanks for the link anyway.

BTW do you know of any good arrangement and composition of trance music tutorials any where on the web? I have to get away from using already made riffs and such and the tutorials or a recommended book would make this learning curve alot quicker.

Loads of excellent Tutorials can be found here:

Tutorials

Thanks again for all the help i think when i make a really good tune that i like next i will call it skyfloating (if you dont mind of course) to say thanks. Pretty cool name anyway.

Maybe Im only softening you up for the upcoming debate series.

But seriously, I remember how tough my newbie days were, so I enjoy helping.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Brilliant link i think i saw some that were exactly what I'm looking for thanks.

Looks like i'm well a truly softened up lol all is fair in love and war though ha ha. Cant wait for the debate series to get going. There is some tough competition in our branch of competitors and there's gonna be some very difficult challenges coming up. Is all good though i look forward to our match up.

I wander if we get ranking points in this debate series, its not really your standard tournament is it.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Argos

You´ll especially be interested in the tutorial "trance masterclass".

Sure we get ranking points.

Thats gonna be one hell of a prestigous tournament.

Edit: Wonder why no other music producers are responding to this thread.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Yeah that is a bit funny where are all you guys????????

That trance music tutorial was for reason and with loads of VST's i've never heard of. I did take a few tips away though i'm battling through.

Think i need to get a music for dummies book just to learn about notes etc cause i just cant get it right at the moment. Either that or i'm tone deaf lol.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Argos

If you wanna keep up the virtual music studio thing, dont learn notes. It doesnt mix well with MIDI-recording and stuff. And its much too complex for music like electronica and trance, which are heavily reliant on beat, pad, sound-design, arp....and definetely not on notes. The tunes you put up on i-sound are not bad for a start.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Really thats interesting just go with the flow and find sounds that feel right.

What i'd love to do is, you know when your humming a tune in your head and you create a very cool little rift. I'd like to be able to make that sound on the software. But with out the ability to write it down in some shape or form that actually helps to remember how it goes it is easily lost and forgotten amongst the searching for the right sounds and gettin the right notes into the software. Its a nightmare.

Im still newb though so i guess im just going at it to quickly, im guilty of this at a lot of things. Your advice is good just gotta keep making good sounds and learning good ole fashioned way.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argos

What i'd love to do is, you know when your humming a tune in your head and you create a very cool little rift. I'd like to be able to make that sound on the software. But with out the ability to write it down in some shape or form that actually helps to remember how it goes it is easily lost and forgotten amongst the searching for the right sounds and gettin the right notes into the software. Its a nightmare.

You are describing EXACTLY the problem someone has, who doesnt have a midi-keyboard (99 Dollars). If you had one, it would take about 5 minutes to fixate that tune and get it right. I cannot imagine doing that with computer keys...neither visually nor by hearing.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Right monkeys to it any xmas cash i get is going on a midi keyboard

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I didn't use any midi keyboard for anything that I've made so far. I only used the pc-keyboard and mouse. And you can hear the result for yourself.

Ok then... I'll put a midi kb on my list of stuff to buy asap...

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

At least someone other than me is finally responding to this thread.

Where can we hear your stuff?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join