It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I can't help but smile when I look at the first post in this thread which asked how many were Catholic when younger but left that denomination. A number answered, but then the thread degraded into the missionaries quoting scriptures and praying for us to return from our lost ways.

Really, don't you people understand that we are just as certain that there is no such thing as a god as you are certain that there is? Praying for us is less than useless - it's an insult to us.

Occam

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I am not an atheist, but I think this topic is interesting and I will answer your questions. I replied to another thread of yours, and then found this one, if you're wondering about the fact that I am a little late on answering.

I am Catholic, but I no longer "practice" in the usual sense of the word. I am actually more of an agnostic, but I would prefer to use the label "spiritual" than anything else.

I had my baptism as a baby, and both parents are pretty religious. My mother is pretty devout, and is also very open-minded to other ideas... just as long as you don't downplay Jesus at all. My father was actually a seminarian when he was younger, but decided that the priesthood was not his calling. My mother still attends mass every Sunday, and on Holy Days of Obligation. My father no longer attends, due to health issues. Sitting in church is physically painful to him, and he is self-conscious about people staring at him. When he has gone, it is to pre-Vatican II masses, where there is no hand shaking. He has serious problems with his hands, and is embarrassed by their appearance, besides the fact that shaking hands hurts him.

I had one Italian grandmother, and one Irish grandmother. That pretty much guarantees a Catholic upbringing. One of my grandfathers is a freemason, and has been for many decades. My grandmother disapproved, but then he was never Catholic anyway (which also bothered her) so she didn't give him much grief over it, even though she thought it was in conflict with the church.

I keep in touch with all of my family members. So I know all of their religious beliefs pretty well.

When I was younger, I dated someone of a different religion (still a Christian religion) and for a time attended their church. This was mostly just to rebel against my upbringing, though. I never got into their ways. I attended Catholic school my whole life, but never completely bought into a lot of the ideas. Ever since I was little, I loved reading stories about Marian apparitions, and have been just fascinated with Mary. I like that she is such an important figure in Catholocism, and that is primarily what has turned me off to other Christian religions. I do not feel as though I worship the saints, but my St. Jude holy card is always with me, and I truly believe that he has helped me out of some tight spots. I will admit that my admiration of Mary might border on worship, but I certainly don't believe that she is a goddess or anything like that.

Today, I find peace in saying the rosary... kind of a meditative thing. I carry holy cards with me, because it makes me feel good. I have given them to friends during difficult times, just because of how they make me feel, and my friends have all be very appreciative. If they are not Catholic, they still appreciate the gesture. I would never force any beliefs on anyone. When I occasionally attend mass (and it is rare), I only attend the old Latin masses. I feel like today's Catholocism places too much emphasis on the individual and individual participation, and not enough on God.

I spend a lot of time reading texts from other religions, and I try to study the Eastern religions. I have a lot of respect for Hinduism and Buddhism, and also the nature-based religions. I believe in a lot of things that are against the teachings of Catholocism, but I have arrived at those beliefs through personal experiences and deep, honest introspection.

Basically, I try to be a good person, and focus on the positive. I believe in karma, and that belief is what drives most of my thoughts and actions. I take a great deal of personal comfort in some of the trappings of Catholocism, but disagree with the church's stance on most social issues. Ultimately, what I believe is that God cares more about what you do for the world He created. If you try to help your fellow creatures (not just man, but all of them) and live your life in as good a way as possible, what religion you are doesn't matter.

Oh, and since I keep mentioning God... I believe that God is a being of pure energy, and that His energy dwells within all living things (flowers, bugs, animals, people). When we die, we return to his energy. I don't really believe so much in heaven or hell, and my ideas on what happens in the afterlife or more complex than the space in this posting allows.

Hope that answers your question. Let me know if you have any more based on what I said...I get kind of convoluted sometimes. I know that I am not an atheist, and that your thread was directed to atheists, but as a quasi-former-maybe-current-whatever-you-call-it-Catholic, I thought you might be interested in my general take on things.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Hypno, while I do respect your gratitude for our faith I have to say the truth.

You should not pray the rosary unless you truly believe in the church of God.

The first part of the rosary is the apostles creed.

" i believe..... "

You cant say this without faith, its impossible, its a profession of faith.

when you say the hail Mary, your soluting her and calling her womb blessed.

why?

Because Christ is God, no othe religion but him...

She will be very displased with you if you continue to pray like this, I know this for a fact.. She wants her childrne not to pray for Karma but out of faith...

Karma is a false word people used. Grace is everything.

Goodness is all from a movement of Gods grace. thats why people shoot others over 10 dollars, thats why some people have no heart, remorse, conscience, fealings, obedience, love......

Its a deprevation of grace which is Love. Grace is a movemnt of the holy ghost that dweels in certain souls..... whoever loves has some sort of graces...

" Mary worship "

I am greatly glad to hear you honor Mary. The bible says all generations will call her blessed, and that prophecy is vry tre today..

Great honor is not worship, but due respect for chosen souls. You see all the saints in heaven know what humility is. God is all, they are nothing without him, Catholics realize this, and so does Mary....

Its just Gods grace in Mary, not her herself......

If you havent already read about Gemma Galgani, shes one of my favorites. And please stay as close to the saints as possible, alot of them had so much faith they raised the dead, had stigmatas and worked all sorts of miracles.....

" its not my job to force my belief on others "

It is... not force, but out of a sincere love, Christ himself said preach the good news, and whoever doesnt listen walk away from thm..

But he said it is our job, if we have real faith....

peace.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

You should not pray the rosary unless you truly believe in the church of God.
The first part of the rosary is the apostles creed.
" i believe..... "
You cant say this without faith, its impossible, its a profession of faith.

I have actually thought about that. I only profess my faith about what I believe in. I will not say that I believe in something that I do not.

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
when you say the hail Mary, your soluting her and calling her womb blessed.

why?

Because Christ is God, no othe religion but him...

She will be very displased with you if you continue to pray like this, I know this for a fact.. She wants her childrne not to pray for Karma but out of faith...

"no other religion but Him"... exactly. Not the religion that men have constructed to fit their agendas since it was created. The Catholic church has changed, and has changed much since it began. Christ's message has not changed. It is that which I follow.

And I do not pray for karma. I live my life a certain way because I believe in karma. Jesus even said, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I live the way that I believe God wants me to, and not the way the Church wants me to. And those two ways are different, in my opinion, which I will not get into here. I do not worship the Catholic Church. I worship God.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join