It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athiest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
May I ask a question to atheist.

How many of you grew up Catholic and fell away and were baptised?

Do you still keep in touch with your parents and have they fallen away also?

thanks.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I was baptised and grew up as a catholic. I went through confirmation and the other thing which name I forgot too.

And yeah of course I keep in touch with my parent altough they were never religious.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
How many of you grew up Catholic and fell away and were baptised?

I wasn't raised as a Catholic but my Mum was as a child . I guess I would say that my Mum is spiritual but not in a sense that has anything to do with Christianity . I think that I was baptised but I have no idea why.

Interestedly my grandfather even before he ended up in a rest home didn't attended Church for years.

[edit on 16-12-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I was raised a Protestant and was christened into the faith as well when I was about 8 or something. My father is a non practicing catholic (he doesn't care about it) but never put his views across that it was bad or anything while my mother is still a practicing protestant - goes to church most sundays and the like.

Both don't care that I am an atheist (I'm still their child after all) as it is not so much of a big deal here in Scotland or Europe for that matter - It seems only Americans give two knobs of goat s**t about whether people are atheists or not.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
First, I have to say, JiT, I tend not to read your posts anymore because of some of (what I consider to be) your primitive ideas on equality. So I waited until there were some answers to this thread before I opened it, just to keep my brain from exploding.

And lo and behold, you're just asking a question, seeking knowledge instead of trying to convert. So, first off, thanks for that. You surprised me and messed with my personal paradigm this morning, which is always a good thing. Well done.

As to your question, I have been to Catholic churches once or twice, but was not raised Catholic, nor baptized Catholic. I don't think I was ever baptized at all. My family was secular, and when I was 8 I chose to go to church myself to see what all the fuss was about. The first church I went to was Episcopalian. I went there for about 6 months and realized that I couldn't get behind the whole Jesus thing because it didn't make logical sense.

But during that time I was "saved" as I was a kid in a church of people going through self-induced ecstatic experiences and got carried away with everyone else's emotions.

But then, as Occam likes to say, I got better.

I did try other churches throughout my life, including Unitarian, Baptist, and Lutheran, but once I realized that using hell to threaten a bunch of kids to be good was dirty tactics, I never fell for it again.

Thanks for asking.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

raised catholic, both of my parents were at the time as well and grew up as such themselves. went to a catholic high school for 2 years, became an agnostic at the beginning of my sophomore year, later a buddhist and finally an atheist about halfway through the second semester.

my father has recently become an atheist (i guess the apple hit the ground before the tree got there)

my mother... i'm not even sure what it believes

however, i object to the word "fallen"
i prefer to think of myself as enlightened.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I was baptized. My parents were raised Catholic, were theists, but never went to church. As I mentioned in another thread, I read the bible voraciously when I was about seven, and loved all the mythology just as I loved the books with stories about the Greek and Norse gods. I just never made the mistake of confusing myth with reality.

Occam

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Darkside.

" They were never religious "

I truly dont unsderstand why they would baptise you if they were never religious.

Xpret11

" before my grandfather ended up in rest home "

Thanks for sharing. May I ask if your grandfather is still living?

Major M.

" Using hell to threaten kids to be good "

Thats what people do with santa klause. But this tactic is not the message of God. Jesus message is that he loves his creatures.

I remember one saint never wanted to talk about hell st Teresa of avila, she saw God in ecstasy.

She said, dont ever think about it, or preach it. Some do to preach about the seriousness of seperation from God, but it shouldnt be the main focul point.

" asking question "

you see what you dont know about me is that, off the internet, I always ask question, I put myself below my superiors always.

I may know alot, from grace, but its mostly street smarts, ive only had 8th grade education.

it seems like im trying to convert, I like to put it of sharing the saints lives and the deepness of creation. most my post are about those two. nobody has to read if they dont want to.

Madness

" what it believes "

madness, why do you speek about your mother like that? If she has mental problems, its nothing grace cant handle.

The reason im posting this is to get an idea of what the atheist grew up with in belief.

peace.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
My grandfather is still alive but he has Dementia his quality life of is very poor. I think there is a chapel at his rest home which he has gone to in the past. I thought that I would add that my other set of grandparents weren't religious in fact my Pa was more interested in going to the RSL with my dad and drinking then going to any kind of church.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Darkside.

" They were never religious "

I truly dont unsderstand why they would baptise you if they were never religious.

I meant they didn't really practice, just did it by tradition if you want, but they soon saw the light and became atheists

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Major M.

" Using hell to threaten kids to be good "

Thats what people do with santa klause. But this tactic is not the message of God. Jesus message is that he loves his creatures.

Oh? Are you sure? Jesus was really big on hellfire. Matthew 13:42 comes to mind.

The problem with Xians today is that they take the parts they like in the Bible and reject the parts they don't like, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a holy book. Either the book is the word of god and you have to follow all of it, or it's just a book.

Sold your daughters into slavery, or stoned anyone for blasphemy lately?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

Sold your daughters into slavery, or stoned anyone for blasphemy lately?

What you're referring to is a collection of old Jewish laws. Laws that pertained to behaviour of individuals in a nation and not laws in relation to God. While all of these laws had their reason at the time, that doesn't mean Christians are bound to obey every single law of the Torah.

For instance they were told to stay away from pork and shrimp for health reasons. We all know the dangers of improperly prepared pork and certain seafoods are one of the easiest ways to contract food posioning, hepatitus, etc. Since they didn't have the science or ability to prepare food properly, they were told to not eat them. Makes sense. Jesus makes this clear when he was asked why his disciples were picking corn on the Sabbath day of rest.

Mark 2:27
Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

We again see this explained to Peter in Acts 10. Paul, Peter, and the rest of the apostles later clarified this during their big meeting in Jeruslaem concerning the converted Gentiles. Should they be required to obey all the laws in the Torah like the Jews? The concensus of Jesus' disciples was no (]Acts 15). This wasn't the decision of just some random preacher. This is what Jesus' closest friends, who knew him best, decided that Jesus would have wanted. They knew from the past, as in the situations I have mentioned, that Jesus' emphasis was not on enforcing ever little mundane laws from the Torah.

Their concensus was that after believing in Jesus the Gentiles should follow these rules as a summary of which of the Laws of the Torah they should keep.

abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.

If you're speaking of Jews as in Judaism you'd be correct, but we're talking about Catholocism as in Christianity. Totally different ball park.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by dbates]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I was baptized Catholic as both my parents were Catholic. My family "fell away" when the priest in our parish had an affair with a married woman and ran away with her. We never went to church again as a family after that.

I lived in a culturally diverse area of the country. Most of my friends were Jewish. It was not uncommon for me to attend Hebrew classes with friends during the week, and Temple on Friday. My best friend was Catholic, so I went to church with her family on Sunday quite a bit.

I would not consider myself to be Athiest, but I don't consider myself Chrisitan either.

I believe in Jesus and God, but I think it is wrong to worship Jesus. I believe his message was to strive to be like him. How people ever got the idea he wanted to be worshipped is beyond me, as he wanted us to worship and respect God, and follow the laws of God.

Catholics also puzzle me in that they also worship the Pope, and saints. Basically they are in my opinion a bunch of idol worshipping pagans, that pray to anything they think will buy them a ticket into heaven.

A perfect example of people not following the laws of God, are the ones who claim to be Christian, yet eat pork and shellfish. I adhere to a strict Kosher diet. It isn't just a matter of refrigeration in the time of Jesus, it is that pigs and shellfish survive off of crap.

I think it's ridiculous, also that just because the Pope said so, it is ok to suddenly supersede the laws of God.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   

The reason im posting this is to get an idea of what the atheist grew up with in belief.

I was raised protestant and my family was very devout. I was baptized. (Baptist) I kept in touch with my parents when they were alive, but I did not share my lack of belief with them. I didn't deem it necessary for them to know and/or approve of my beliefs. They would not have approved and they would have been unnecessarily distressed about it.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Madness

" what it believes "

madness, why do you speek about your mother like that? If she has mental problems, its nothing grace cant handle.

actually, i meant to type "what it is she believes"

but that's not because she has mental problems... well, no more mental problems than the average mother gets from raising a child, it's just because her beliefs are random, incoherent, and sometimes contradictory.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Dbates thank you.

MM.

" stoned anyone lately "

MM, the law for adultury was strick back then, I dont know the circumstance or who was forgiven and not. But the only thing that matters is where they are in the after life.

This age is different, and is the age of forgiveness and penance. God took everything on his shoulders.

all of our sins. some people crucify him over and over all the time by their deads.

Enthralled.

Read 1 John about Jesus being God in the flesh (the word made flesh), many other passages talk about this including phillipians 2 saying being equal to God.

As for us worshipping saints and popes. This is nonsense, you truly have some learning to do.

God bless you. Thanks for all your input. Im really interested about you guys and what you believe in before becoming athiest.

peace.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I don't have any more learning to do, but you do. Catholics most certainly worship saints. They are prayed to for favors. That is worshipping. Relics of saints are worshipped.

Jesus message was to be like him, not worship him. Since you are quoting scripture, find me one where he said to worship him.

Edit to add

Also Mary mother of Jesus is worshipped. I view that as wrong since it takes away from the worship of God.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Enthralled Fan]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Im really interested about you guys and what you believe in before becoming athiest.

Was never baptised or taken to church regularly as a child. Did have regular morning attempts at indoctrintation in school, also had some batty lady on our street, a jehovah witness, who thought sweets for bible readings was a good swap when I was around sixes and sevens.

I do remember having to fill in an official school document when I was about 6, it had a part about religion, didn't even know what it was on about, so I put 'protestant' like my table buddy, heh.

Essentially, was never theistic.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It's saddening to me personally, to see so many replies from now athiests, who had a church-based upbringing or at the very least at least an introduction to the Christian belief. Not saddening in that I feel sorry for the athiests, we're all entitled to follow the paths we choose and while I don't feel sorry for them I do pray for them.

I am saddened to see how many Shepherds have failed at their jobs in providing nourishment to Christ's flock. I was raised Catholic and left the church at 18 because I wasn't provided proper nourishment. I then went looking for truth elsewhere. While I never abandoned my belief in God and Christ Jesus, it did take me many years and an amazing personal experience to get me back on track in my faith.

These days I have distaste in my mouth for the Shepherds who failed and are currently failing at their service to God and Christ. It seems to me that for the most part their priorities are elsewhere (Money, Power, Prestige, Recognition) rather than the tending of the flock. This is primarily because most do not have a good foundation in truth and have become victims of Satan's snares. That being the case, they cannot properly provide the nourishment their congregations need and this causes many to fall away and be lost, or alternatively, those who are still a part of their congregations never learn truth but are instead taught falsehoods and partial truths and told to cling to false doctrines and dogma and a man-made religious belief systems - which is misleading as well.

It seems to be a domino effect that has taken place over many, many years and we're just realizing the full magnitude of it now. And on top of that, the hourglass is nearly empty - Armageddon looms in the very near future and there's not much time left for those who have strayed and lost faith to come to a full realization of truth. I pray that they will though. Before it's too late.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
E fan.

" re;lics "

St Pauls relic was used to (heal) people in the NT, I think in acts. God does use relics.

God told moses to make a brazen serpent in Numbers so the isrealites could be healed by looking on it when bitten.

thats a fact.

As for prayer to saints. We are asking their favors and prayers.

We on earth are not saintly yet, and cant feel worthy to go to God, so sometimes we go to our freinds the saints to pray for us.

the are the closest to God because they were made perfect on earth. Its like God saying, he denies his mother nothing.

I will ask for my mothers prayers on earth, and my heavenly mother Mary in heaven, no difference.

peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join