It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Extremists Taking Over ATS?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

The problem is that anybody with an agenda will actually used the OP to feel targeted and find an excused to kill a thread with a good ole Christian self worth bashing.

Then anybody dare to question the intention of the author.

Personally I think he nail the issue to the spot.

Hate and anger filled post are not way to a intelligent discussion no matter which side you belong too.

BTW I am waiting for the preaching to begin.

That will prove point number two. Is ATS been taken over by religious extremist? this thread will tell.

Hmmm...I think we're already seeing it unforuantely. Apparently you're 'Un-American' now if you question a chritian's beliefs....unreal, huh?

Oh well. My point proven.

J.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Dealing with both Religous and non-religious people I have found a few on boths sides that I tend to not debate with very much.

These people have rather extreme views and are not willing to move an inch to find a common ground. The rather interesting part is my list is rather small on religious extremes compared to everything else.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Isn't "extremist" a matter of perception and personal opinion? What one may consider extremist another may consider completely normal and visa-versa.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Umm... No? An extremist is only partially based on personal perception.Though it hurts somewhat to admit even that,Its true.There are many ways to identify an extremist but since I'm extremly tired I'll only list a few.They usually have a "if you're not with us you're against us" approach to anyone who thinks slightly differently than themselves and are quite hostile to said people.They lack proof or have very little proof of what they try to spread to others.They also attempt to assasinate people they believe are against themselves character with slander.They won't admit defeat when proven wrong and will go as far as assaulting their opponents beliefs or the facts that had proven them wrong.They also constantly generalize their enemies like some people here have been doing.Don't assume I'm right anyone out there correct me where I'm wrong because I'm very tired and can't think straight.Let me know if this post sounds like ignorant ramblings and I'll edit it to nothing later.Goodnight everyone.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

not remotley mate It's a peice of cake 'debating' your types.

Come on into the Debate forum "mate" and I'll give you a shot at the title if it's such a "piece" of cake....

Semper

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

when, on what and rules? (also, take into account that i'm in a different timezone if you're going to debate me, on the same time as Rome, so that might have to factor in)

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

thanks beachcoma for the info on the faith,spirituality and theology department-----i'll check it out------ i'm an extreme believer in The Creators while jimbo999 apparently is an extreme non believer in Them-------so its pointless to be here unless i was a masochist-----i'll go see if i can find my friends---it wasnt a total waste of time my coming on jimbos thread---i met some new friends i never knew before----thanks jimbo

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

All you need to know...

Debate Forum

I've debated people from all over the world, the time zone has never been an issue..

Semper

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Would Christ be considered an extremist in the eye`s of those who see extremists here on ATS?

Would Christ be concerned about being banned from the site for not staying exactly on topic if and when He knew that there was a more important message to be given to one or many?

What is a Christian if not a follower of Christ?
Acts 1:7-9

If it be that a Christian is to be silenced in sharing the good news because of a man made law,then he/she would cease on being a large part of what it is to be Christian.

To be abused for being Christian comes with the territory and is to be expected.Mathew 5.11

If I feel I need to quote from the Bible or interject my point of view where I`m outside of the T&C,I dont mind if I`m

I rather that than being banned for saying some stupid things which I have also done.

Go into the secret society threads and say something against those who are members of SS`s and see how your treated by a group,I hope you will be treated better in a Christian thread that you oppose.

This word extremist concerns me a bit because since 9/11 the word is being equated to that of a terrorist, in the Bible (revelations) talks about in the end times Christians will be persecuted.
Rev 20:4

Though is also to be expected.

I dont see Christians on this board being disruptive to the point of having to make a thread about it,though I do understand how some may view it to be,even if hearing from one only once, even in an appropriate thread.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Umm... your not Christ and there's no need to spread the good news to the people here because they have all heard it.Christ wouldn't be spamming sites for discussion on what is already pointed out to be a religious conspiracies forum.I would hope he wouldn't anyway because it wouldn't help his cause at all.Feel free to quote the bible if you feel its relevant to the conversation at hand. Just don't, like so many others have, get upset if someone takes offence.Calmly explain, not that your right or they're wrong, but that you don't mean to offend or press your beliefs.They accept you or they don't.And no law says you or I can't spread the good news, its that you should spread it where appropriate.Your too late yourself because thats the source of anger here, no one wants to hear preaching of any kind constantly.Thats exactly whats happening here, everyones heard it here and to continue where you or others have already tried isn't spreading anything but hate.If I was at church and a bunch of atheists came protesting and barging in telling everyone they're wrong in what they believe I'd be furious.So don't do it to them.Christ would know that making people hate god and his followers would NOT help at all.Anyone who calls themslves a follower of Christ but still does such should not be allowed to be called Christians at all because they are under some kind of delusion that they can't be wrong and will only serve to hurt Christianity in the long run.Oh and there's a world of differance between extremists and fanatics, which are what the terrorists were.The reason people think Christians are persecuted so much more than other religions is because of a misunderstanding.I've come across more Christians and Athiests than any other group, and a minority of both are the "in eachothers eyes" stereotypical, condensending jerks that I want to break the teeth out of.However these are the ones who make the biggest impact on our views because they are the "loudest".They are the ones who claim to be speakers of the truth, or the defender of the rights of, and even the second coming of.Basically, the ones who can prove the others wrong.They are the most recognized because they are trying to be the most recognized.I have never seen on the news, ANYONE who deserves to represent either side.No good non condensending christian, no non pushy or equally condensending atheist.No one.And if you want to spread anything go somewhere where people who lack enough intelligence are like some other country or maybe just the streets, cause chances are they need to hear it the most and probably haven't heard it at all.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by Redjack]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redjack
Umm... your not Christ and there's no need to spread the good news to the people here because they have all heard it.

I think your wrong,because for one I havn`t seen you before though you say you have heard it before,how can you speak for others,and new members in the future?

Ummm? and I know I`m not Christ,so was that not an attempted insult?

Christ wouldn't be spamming sites for discussion on what is already pointed out to be a religious conspiracies forum.

You could be part of a conspiracy yourself and not know it,the anti Christian conspiracy?

Feel free to quote the bible if you feel its relevant to the conversation at hand. Just don't, like so many others have, get upset if someone takes offense

Will do,thanks for the advice though wasn`t necessary

.Calmly explain, not that your right or they're wrong, but that you don't mean to offend or press your beliefs.
They accept you or they don't.And no law says you or I can't spread the good news, its that you should spread it where appropriate.

If someone is preaching there is no God and I calmly say there is and they or anyone else gets offended by that,well?

Your too late yourself because thats the source of anger here, no one wants to hear preaching of any kind constantly.Thats exactly whats happening here

I haven`t read this whole thread so apologies if what I`ve said in the above post has already been,though I was simply as I could, give my opinion on the thread topic on where I see the problems that are being stated.

, everyones heard it here and to continue where you or others have already tried isn't spreading anything but hate.

That may seem that way to you but I dont hate you or anyone here.

If I was at church and a bunch of atheists came protesting and barging in telling everyone they're wrong in what they believe I'd be furious.So don't do it to them.

Do you really believe ATS or any particular thread to be a church for atheists,pick a Christian thread any and see if you can find one that doesn`t have atheists or others coming into it being disruptive or what ever.Heck if atheists want a thread or a discussion to themselves so long as they dont slander others I`m well happy to let them have it in peace.Do you think it could be done the other way around also?

Christ would know that making people hate god and his followers would NOT help at all.

I have seen and had trouble recognizing a Friends face who is a gentle little (5 ft) fella who was set upon by a group who took offense to being asked if they had heard of eternal life,though that didn`t stop him when he recovered.

You`d be surprised then, what God/Christ thinks of him,how do you know that any of that group now see`s the error of their way and what courage really is and why he thought it so important to tell them.

Anyone who calls themslves a follower of Christ but still does such should not be allowed to be called Christians at all because they are under some kind of delusion that they can't be wrong and will only serve to hurt Christianity in the long run.

Denying ignorance like this above is also ATS`s motto.

I've come across more Christians and Athiests than any other group, and a minority of both are the "in eachothers eyes" stereotypical, condensending jerks that I want to break the teeth out of.

Steady there champ,its not worth getting upset over to this extent.By the way I used to live a very hard type of life and I wasn`t intimidated by those who threaten in this manner and I`m less intimidated now in real life.

However these are the ones who make the biggest impact on our views because they are the "loudest".They are the ones who claim to be speakers of the truth,

People are like this all over the place pal and I agree its wrong if they think that being the loudest makes them speak the truth.

I was happy to just give my input and leave it at that,I didn`t quote anyone etc or get personal yet you have to me?

Maybe practicing what your preaching would help? or if you like you could simply click the ignore member button and not go into atheist and Christian threads.Rather than trying to change me or others.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

I'm very sorry if it came out as insulting to you.I'm rather frustrated at the moment and haven't had much thought to my posts.I've been coming this site for about a year now and I just recently started an account because I have been wanting to join in the topics on this site for a long time.I guess its a bad time to do so though seeing as how I'm angry I should probably avoid discussions that upset me or bring back rage-filled memories.The Religious Conspiracies Forum is what this thread was made about and a page or so back the OP makes it more clear on what its about. I'm far from anti-christian seeing as how I'm christian myself, being relativaly new to the religion though I guess I shouldn't speak for those who obviously aren't.If someone gets offended because you said there is a god after they said there isn't then they are in the wrong because they started it and personally after stating my opinion I would ignore them because it would most likely turn into a fight.I should have put more thought into my post so again, I'm sorry.I already made my point of telling atheists not to tell christians they are wrong earlier but I'm not sure.I'll edit my post later but for now I'll continue.I wouldn't break anyones teeth out unless I was protecting someone, The people stated, the "extremists" make me want to simply because I can't stand people that think they're majestic or something and that I'm lowly scum.Its not intimidating its just, when someone who doesn't know what suffering is looks down on people who are suffering or have worked very hard to fix their and others lives it makes me quite mad.

I guess the whole point of my ramblings now is there's good, bad, and stupid people everywhere so why not just simply not respond to the ones who make you mad? You can't change extremists of any kind or they wouldn't be extremists. Once again my apologies to you gps777. I hope you all have a good night.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redjack

I'm very sorry if it came out as insulting to you.

Seriously pal,you havn`t insulted me

Though I hear what your saying,this whole argument/discussion as far as its always been isn`t something new.

Heck for example madnessinmysoul is probably the most attacking atheist I have ever seen,though that doesn`t mean I dislike the guy because I dont,we disagree on this topic of God though if I ignored him I wouldn`t have known we agree on many other topics.

I guess its a bad time to do so though seeing as how I'm angry I should probably avoid discussions that upset me or bring back rage-filled memories.

This would be better to be discussed out for your sake I think,rather than bottling it up,just try and keep cool while discussing it.If you ever make a thread on it I would like to read it or be involved,so give me a shout if you do.

I wouldn't break anyones teeth out unless I was protecting someone

I`m not sure if I should smile at that but I did and know where your coming from.

The people stated, the "extremists" make me want to simply because I can't stand people that think they're majestic or something and that I'm lowly scum.Its not intimidating its just, when someone who doesn't know what suffering is looks down on people who are suffering or have worked very hard to fix their and others lives it makes me quite mad.

Well although it can be hard having sand kicked in your face,their opinions aren`t what counts to a Christian.

I hear ya loud and clear though and your no lone ranger with that,its just the getting mad bit that needs some attention with me sometimes also.

Once again my apologies to you gps777. I hope you all have a good night.
No need to apologize I enjoyed your posts and found another person I can relate to.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
as i cruise around ATS i always wonder: how many of the mods are atheists? i mean, we have at least two examples of fundamentalists that i can think of off the top of my head, JungleJake and kinglizard... but if we have atheist mods, they don't seem to make it a point to reveal that.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I don't' think there are any, maybe some agnostics.

I think that ought to be remedied, too, otherwise the atheists are, once again, inadvertently discriminated against.

Or is it a case of not wanting the Xians to be upset because a godless heathen has some board power and "it just wouldn't be fair."

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
as i cruise around ATS i always wonder: how many of the mods are atheists? i mean, we have at least two examples of fundamentalists that i can think of off the top of my head,

Not sure who it was as I think the thread it was in got deleted but I recall a moderator openly calling wicca evil and satanic and ignoring normal members doing the same. Slight conflict of interest there as they lead by example and such needless behaviour directly fosters an atmosphere of biggotry and intolerence. might be why the rules have become alot stricter lately.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

yeah, that could be... that was a real
moment for me... with all the sarcasm intended.

i also see that the continual sticky of a certain thread is a bit of an abuse of power (just look at FST and see which one of the stickies isn't a reference source or a rules/guidelines thread.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Re: the question about whether any of the moderators are atheists or agnostics. One has to consider the orientation of ATS. The conspiracy theory mindset and the atheist or agnostic mindset are usually not compatible. So, I would doubt that an atheist or agnostic would be welcomed as a moderator.

Occam

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i also see that the continual sticky of a certain thread is a bit of an abuse of power (just look at FST and see which one of the stickies isn't a reference source or a rules/guidelines thread.

You mean the one which relays an individuals unverifable personal story where he finds god?
Odd as if it was that popular it'd stay on top anyway so I wonder why it's on top for all us unsaved to read?

It's kind of like leaving bibles on each seat at a community hall just so we 'know' who the place belongs to.

Why do you think there aren't pinned threads about how atheists see the light and realise that some things just aren't logical? Or where wiccans discover nature rules all? Or when I [as an atheist buddist] realised that the concept of god isn't even important to my spirituality anyway?

..of course thats only my personal beliefs and I wouldn't even want it to be pinned as ideally ATS would never favour one group of people over another as that would be fostering ignorance.. :shk:

[edit on 20-12-2007 by riley]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I like your style GPS. You make sense. Kudos for stating your thoughts/opinions and keeping a cool head.

On another note I'd like to just make a statement - it irks me when people lump all Christians into the label "Fundamentalist". I'm a Christian (follower of Christ) but about as far from being a "Fundamentalist" as you can get. If anyone wants to know why, they can visit the link in my signature - I'm not going to go into all of it here and now cause it's probably not the time or place. But I feel MUCH better now for having said it.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join