It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Extremists Taking Over ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Why are we letting people with extremist christian religious views hijack ATS?

How many times do we have to deal with interesting threads being ruined by deluded christian whackos trying to use any excuse imaginable to try and ram their religious views down our throats?

We all know too well that 99.9% of the time, the thread has little if anything to do with Christian religious extremism.

So, what should we do about it? Should there be a ban on off-topic discussion? Particularily if it's religious in nature? Do we really need a 'Conspiracies In Religion' forum, if all it's ever used for is as a soapbox for extremists views by crazed bible-thumpers??

Discuss?

J.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well, on the one hand I agree with you.

However, since I'm often told in the Faith forum on BTS that I'M off topic for putting in my two unbelieving cents, that's a sword that cuts both ways.

Can't censor the fundies if you want to have free speech yourself -- though I find the whole invisible friend thing to be most puzzling and, truthfully, ridiculous.

Try to look at it this way: arguing with them is practice for critical thinking. and if you really can't stand it, by skimming a post you'll soon learn whose posts you can safely avoid because their stuff is mostly nothing more than ignorance and proselytizing.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
like douglas adams im a radical atheist so it evens out across the boards i think, but im also an extreme skeptic but i really enjoy reading some of the things people write on here, i dont believe being an athiest and skeptic automatically makes me correct its just what im comfortable with

[edit on 15-12-2007 by R-evolve]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
You can say the exact same thing about the UFO, cryptozoology, paranormal, 9/11, or any other topic (with regards to the derailing of topics). The very subject nature of ATS attracts the ignorant, the misinformed, the easily misled, and the just plain mentally ill.

So I say you can argue with a brick wall, or just ignore them.

[edit on 12-15-2007 by Esoterica]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yo,

I wanna know, where are all these Christian Fundamentalists? Hmm?

And don't even point your finger at me bro, if you read half of my Theology I am the opposite of a Fundamentalist; Fundamentalist don't like me and would rather I not speak on Christanity at all.

I think people like you Jimbo are hyping the topic bigger than it is. There isn't very many "fundies" on here. My definition of a fundie is one who is who hard headed and ignorant that they still honestly believe Dinosaurs never existed or were only a few thousand years ago. You know, the ones that say Earth is only 6,000yrs old? That is a fundamentalist. I've seen like .. TWO members claim such a thing in the past month. Then again I dont go trying to hunt it down.

However, I spent most of my time on this site in the Religious Conspiracies forum, the Origins forum, and the Faith & Spirituality forum, and I see very little of this Christian Fundamentalism.

On the other hand, I do see more and more Christians, not being afraid of expressing themselves, and that is wonderful! I don't mean arguing, being insulting, or claiming crazy things, I just mean being able to speak on the topic .. be it Christianity, without fear of being ridiculed by people like .. the thread poster here who has a chip on his shoulder for Christians.

On the contrary, there are FAR more Atheist Fundamentalists on this website actively attempting to disprove the existence of God, disprove the existence of Jesus, and to try to attack/disprove any religious thing they can get their hands on! Add it up .. theres WAY more threads critical of Christianity and other Religion than there are threads of the opposite. So you're crying over spilled milk really..

And just like theres Atheist Fundamentalists, theres even more respectful Atheists, like MM. Where as MIMS would be in my opinion an Atheist Fundamentalist. If you note the difference in how they both post, you will see the major difference there. One is content with their belief (MM), one is attempting to disprove/attack others beliefs (MIMS).

Is that not what we should be calling Fundamentalist.. those who attack..

Man, this place needs some love. I tried to spark an alliance of decent people in the Faith forum but .. I doubt it'll take off. People would rather be at each others' throats.

[edit on 12/15/2007 by runetang]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
Why are we letting people with extremist christian religious views hijack ATS?...Should there be a ban on off-topic discussion? Particularily if it's religious in nature?

Religious talk in the Conspiracies in Religions forum? You don't say. As pointed out above, there's plenty of hardened atheists on ATS, and many of them post lies and talk on subjects they know nothing of. My view is that liars should be banned and if they don't have knowledge to speak about a subject they shouldn't.

BTW, all you have to do is travel around the internet and go to any site that has anything to do with evolution for example, and there is so much extreme Christian bashing done by people spewing out lies and crap, misquoting the bible, making up fake beliefs to put in the mouths of Christians, and so forth, that the numbers show atheist extremism to be far more predominant and obnoxious. You'd think the only religion atheists are aware of is the Christian religion. In fact, atheists will quote from the Jewish OT and blame Christians for that, not the Jews. So for some reason the religion bashing is singled out Christian bashing. So if it goes the other way, then I just think good, it just levels things out some.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elhardt
there's plenty of hardened atheists on ATS, and many of them post lies and talk on subjects they know nothing of. My view is that liars should be banned and if they don't have knowledge to speak about a subject they shouldn't.

Proof of lies, please? I haven't seen any atheists lying. Just because we have a better understanding of "scripture" than most Xians because we are outside of it and can actually see it objectively doesn't mean we're lying. I'd love to see your proof of this.

As far as people being banned for their opinions, then the same should apply to you for what some people would consider hate speech. Just sayin.

I find it endlessly fascinating that people posting facts about evolution is considered Christian bashing. Methinks the followers of the sky fairy are just a bit on the defensive side, personally.

But seriously, where is your proof of atheists lying? Your post actually proves the OP's point, well done.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, in one time or another, apparently ATS has been hijacked by Freemasons, Satanists, Greys, agents of NWO, Illuminati, etcetera. I have seen, oh... easily sic different groups try to take ATS and subvert it to its own will.

But it never happens. ATS is by far too strong willed to let that happen.

But seriously, every few months it seems that someone makes a thread that says ATS is being corrupted by Earthworms, or ATS has been infiltrated by intelligent lemurs, or that ATS is being over-run with people who wear plaid.

I think that, and I hope an 'old-timer' on ATS can vouch for me, that the only other thread with greater appeal has been the Who is Simon Grey threads.

(between you and me, I'd watch those plaid wearing conspiators)

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
It is very sad there is less love for or brothers and sisters. An anonymous forum seems to really bring out the worst in some people. On the other hand, I truly believe many of these flag burners are out for points or some sick psycho thrill. I have seen a pattern in the many of these threads and it is stomach turning.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

well i believe what i read in the scriptures except for the deliberate lies inserted by "do gooder translaters" that are known to the scholars;a brief list found in bullingers bible companion appendix31 thru 33 A.the 15 points of the sopherim B.the 134 passages where the sopherim altered Yahvah to adonai C. the 18 emendations of the sopherim--------------and there is more---G-Ds name removed from the scriptures 7000 times and lord inserted as a substitute for Yahvah-------then there are places where entire verses have been left out and other places where catholic dogma has been inserted---------------do i have to believe what is Not True ? how could i follow the Messiah knowingly accepting lies as a substitute for truth ? the word god from the german gott means molten image it is not an accurate translation of the hebrew word El singular Being or Elohiym plural Being or the greek Theos------isnt part of the mandate of ats to search for the truth? or is the truth a bit too hard to accept when we are not used to it ?-------i'm not a member of any religious organization because as of yet in my 40 years of searching i can find none that believes all biblical truth---------there was only 1-----that came close----whose leader is now dead---garner ted armstrong----------but what he left is still not perfected---yet.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I'm and old guy so my philosophy about dealing with things that annoy me and I cant change is to put my feet up on the coffee table and have another beer...
You'd be surprised at how well it works

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

not sure if you think that i am one that believes earth only 6000 years old?--------no not me ---------i believe it is billions of years old 4.3? and the physical universe 13/14 billion years old ? i know from searching the archaologists books that earth contains 29 to 31 levels of strata that contain the fossilised remains of different life forms including during dinosaur times and even after their extintion 65 million years ago by the comet/meteor that struck the gulf of mexico creatures that that looked like man(but were not adamic type man)----------these were experimental models till Yahvah created adamic type man 60116 ? years ago.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

sorry made mistake 6116 years ago-------not 60,000

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoterica

funny you should say that ats attracts all kinds of (crazies ?) but yet you are here with us--------which type are you ?----------just kidding you dont have to answer

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well, I've found that there are fundies in the athiest and theist group. Neither side can claim to have the lion's share of the crazy folk. It's spread around and evenly distributed.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Seems to me that it's the atheists who bash people and voice their opinions plus in a forum isn't there supposed to be difference of opinions,I have no problem with atheists I just have nothing in common with them

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well.. I'm in agreement with MajorMalfunction.

If you can't take the heat of debate, well... get of the ATS. One thing I like here is that everyone from any belief can debate here. I am a born again bible believeing Christian, yet I value my debates with the atheists. They have the right to believe as they wish and I have the right to question that belief as they do mine. I enjoy going toe to toe with atheists. And I would hope they like the debate with me as well.

Now what Jimbo999 might fear is hate and maybe the holier that thou attitude. Jimbo999.. why don't you just jump into the water and swim with the rest of us. That is... unless you're not so sure of what it is you believe. That is the only reason I could see of the desire to silence free speech. there are pleanty of viewpoints to go around. We are not all Christians out here.

We have Muslims, Hindus, atheists, new age, theists, deists, agnostics, and even some satanists and wiccans too. None of them are scraming "Off with their heads !" So either get into the debates or find something safe for you to do.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

what amazes me is why "atheists" would even bother to get into the religious conspiracy section of ats and complain unless they are not sure? if thats what they are or have a hate on for the Diety or those that do believe there is a Creator or "are trying to save us from ourselves''------------can anyone think of another reason because i cant think of it just yet? other than the devil made them do it ?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

sorry-am blind besides a bad speller--------Deity--------not Diety

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I recommend that all religious radicals be redirected to Internet Infidels for rabid discussion. It's a far more appropriate venue for this sort of intercourse. I don't see ATS as a religious forum and it shouldn't be made into one.

Personally, religious debates bore the heck out of me. It's the same crap over and over and nobody ever wins. Sort of like cricket.
-----
PS: Gettin' tired of the generalizations about atheists/agnostics.

[edit on 12/16/2007 by PrplHrt]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join