It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could God really be a thoughtform?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Bear with me please as this idea jumped to my head a few moments ago while showering and I still have chaos in my head (trying to categorize it somehow
)

Like the topic states , what if God is in reality a thoughtform ? Think about it , there are millions of people beliving in an entity that they belive is all powerfull and all knowing . Those that belive in thoughtforms know that sometimes even one persons belives and strong dedication towards those belives could create a thoughtform ... now imagine millions of people beliving so hard in a entity that they would sacrifice their lives for it ..

Wouldnt that be enough to create a powerfull (maybe not all knowing and all powerfull but close ) entity ?

Maybe (jumping into deeper logic here
) thats what all the churches are ment to be for .. Not for the comfort (well also but not the main purpose) of the belivers but to attract more and more attention towards God , thus giving more "life energy" (no idea how to describe it) toward that entity ? (wonder if thats one of the christian secrets

So the more people belive and the more widespread the religion is the more powerfull the beeing becomes . That would explain the huge determination (crusades and such?) of the religious leaders towards spreading their religion worldwide .

Ok I'll finish here for now as its still a pretty big chaos in my head and I cant really put it all together for now but just think about it and let me know your thoughts .

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Reminds me of the Ori in stargate

More seriously, if what you said is possible then people dying of hunger would create food out of nothing, people being assaulted would create a weapon, and people that lost a limb would just recreate it by thought. But that doesn't happen does it??

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well by what he is saying if enough people thought they could regenerate a limb, they could. (I think) Someone who just lost a limb or was getting attacked, doesn't believe that they can conjure a weapon from the ether or regrow a limb like swampthing. Im not saying this is possible, but if you didn't know you could do something...I don't think you would do it. It doesn't fit in with the world view.

Now what if everyone believed they could do these things? Now that would be interesting...or we would have a bunch of crazy people thinking they could fly diving off cliffs.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
In a way, you're correct, OP.

God is a thoughtform. Though not in the sense that people's thinking of it made it exist.

It only exists in people's minds. In that sense, it is a thoughtform. But it has no power to do anything in the world other than cause people to argue over which version of it is the right one.

All these wars and arguments over the nature of god remind me of little kids arguing over whose invisible friend is best: Pete's Dragon or Drop Dead Fred. neither kid realizes or is willing to admit to the fact that both are imaginary. But noses get bloodied just the same.

As an adult, it seems pretty silly, doesn't it? And that's what religion is to me: simply rather silly.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I agree with the above poster...I too kinda view religion as being silly. For me its because so many bad/evil things are done in the name of religion. I find it funny that two armies about to fight both call on god to let them attain victory. Well they both can't win...I don't know its just funny to me.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I believe in God, but not the Bible. In a sense, that would explain a question most "Christians" can't answer: If God is so powerful, why does he need our belief?

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

I think I understand what you're getting at........

I have attended some of those 'old time' meetings where I could 'feel' a current in the air, so to speak. And it seemed to grow as more worshipers became 'involved'. What they would have termed the presence of the Holy Ghost, might well be similar to the 'cone of power' raised by a coven...?

It might be a natural force, occurring when large numbers of minds can be wholeheartedly focused toward one object or goal......or it could be that there are entities that are able to feed off that sort of energy......

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Thank you for the replays . I mean i know this theory is far fetched .. but on the other hand is it ? Our understanding of humanity , creatoion , the universe is so small (comparing to what some people think
) that we could say we dont really know anything about it . Who knows what kind of "energy" our thoughts produce ? We cant even explain what "thoughts" really are.

DarkSide metioned that making food out of nothing or creating weapons out of nothing with your thoughts is impossible .. You are probably right , we cant create matter out of nothing ... Umm but why do you assume God is a material beeing like a piece of cake or a M16 assault rifle ? Wouldnt it be more logical that if such a entity existed that it would transcend beyond the prison of matter ? Be in a form of pure energy (umm "white light" rings a bell
) or even some type of substance that we do not even know about yet? And arrent thoughts just energy (electrical) impulses in our brain (at least thats how scientist try to explain it) ?

PS: ever heard about people that lost their limbs but still swore that they can feel pain in them even thou they knew (cause they saw) that they dont have that particular part of their body ?

PS2: Ever heard about the plaebo effect in medicine (not only there but lets take that as a example) ? What is it ? isnt it exacly the same thing ? People 'belive' they are beeing cured and they get better ? People get a pack of sugar pills , are told its some magic medicine and after a while they belive some much that the medicine works that the body actually starts to heal itself ? So what is it , magic ? Cause it isnt the pack of sugar sweetener marked as 'here enter medicine name'.

I dont say this has to be true but the more I think about it the more sense it makes to me .

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

If different organisms get together to form a system, in a sense it takes on a life of it’s own. The collective conscious, motives, and ideals of its parts give it a persona of its own, separate from its parts. You have created a connection in your mind to the personification of what society agrees to be good. Everyone’s core feelings of right and wrong when left un altered are the same, this offers some people proof that we are all being guided, affected, or were created by the same all powerful entity. It offers other people proof that we are all the same species. We are all guided by what is right, what is right is a concept and moral ideal guided by the instincts and logic of man. People want to define it with words, then other peoples words create confusion and conflict. You are very close to being right in my opinion, but its just mine.

The placebo affect and feeling lost limbs can be attributed to lack of understanding on the mind and how it really affects the body. I make no claim to that understanding.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
i've always thought of gods as thoughtforms, when a person believes/prays to a god, they focus their faith/chi unto the deity thus feeding it energy and power, however deities are entirely dependent upon their followers, thus the whole "do not worship other gods than me" as splitting your devotion splits the power.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
our reality is a thoughtform, the entire universe is included.

that entire universe, including us .. and any other life? well, the best thing to call that would be .. a thoughtform, because God "thought of it", and then it started to form into the shape that was pre-determined by God's "thought".

top topics

join