It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw my first shooting star! WoW

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
This was so amazing, I was out cleaning my driveway as it was full of snow and ice, I stop to take a breather and as soon as I lift my head, BANG! the most beautiful things I ever seen, it lasted like 3 or 4 seconds but it was amazing, the color, the tail, it look like it was breaking apart and leaving a trail. WOW.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

good for you Bunch

I`m a bit surprised though,that this is your first? They are extremely common.

You only need go out on a clear night (well away from the city lights helps) to see a dozen or so, until your neck hurts.

I suppose here in Australia the weather is friendlier to lay out under the stars at night and watch them.Though I havn`t done that for years now.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

The Geminid showers are on right now. Yesterday night and tonight is the peak period.

linky

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
reply to post by Bunch

I suppose here in Australia the weather is friendlier to lay out under the stars at night and watch them.Though I havn`t done that for years now.

Yeah when is 8 degrees Farenheit doent make it for a good night outside to watch a meteor shower.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I can't really recall when I saw my first shooting star (meteor). I do know, however, that I was just a small kid then. My brother, who was five years older, was an amateur astronomer. He had his telescope and his sky charts and a love for all things space. Keep in mind that this all transpired during the early sixties -- at the height of the space race. Space was on our minds.

I was about nine when, one hot ""dog day afternoon" in August , my brother (he was about 15] made me help him set up a tent in the backyard. In those days, tents weren't as user friendly as they are today. They weren't free-standing affairs with fiberglass rods and elastic shock-cords. Frankly, they were a real pain to set up. I was enlisted into this task with the promise that we could "stay up all night". He assured me that "Mom would go for it" because he had convinced her that it was all in the name of science. He had told her about his fervent interest in the Perseid Meteor Shower.

My Mom was a sucker for anything that we wanted to do if it was "educational". Now that I'm parent myself, I realize that "Mom" knew perfectly well that our evening would consist of roaming the neighborhood, raiding the neighbors raspberry patch and, perhaps listen to CKLW-AM -- "The Big 8" all night long. But "Mom" also knew that the possibility existed that we both might actually spend some time looking up. She knew that we would spend time contemplating the vastness of the universe. We would talk about Man going to the Moon and the planets. She knew that our minds might awaken that night...we might also see a "shooting star"!

That night, my brother and I did roam the neighbor. We did raid our neighbors' raspberry patch. And we did listen to the radio all night long. But "Mom was right". Me and my brother did spend the wee hours of the morning lying on the ground looking up at the sky watching shooting stars. That night those 'bright streaks in the sky' illuminated our imaginations. Ever since, I have had a keen interest in space, astronomy and, of course, meteor showers.

Yes, it is exciting to see a shooting star. I can share your sentiment at being thrilled as witnessing this astronomical treat. A few more and you might become as "hooked" as I have become.

[edit on 12/15/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Oh, How amazing, it can really be one of them special moments when you first see one, Like your in some movie,

I seen my first one years ago on New Years eve,

My cousin had passed away from Cancer earlier in the year and on New years eve I raised a glass for him,
I went out side away form the party and all the music, with tears in my eyes I looked up and said, *Happy new year* Right at that moment ..
Whoosh! I see my first ever shooting star,

It brought tears to my eyes. It felt like some sort of gift, one I now will always remember

I even got my self a lil Shooting pin badge just to remind me.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I love to star gaze on a warm summer night. I'd love to go to Montana and do that. Shooting stars are amazing. I'm glad you got the chance to see one

new topics

top topics

join