It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why it doesn't pay to rock the WOT boat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Here's a perfect example of what happens when you threaten the WOT Cash Cow.

As the special investigator for Iraq reconstruction, Stuart Bowen has uncovered HUGE instances of mismanagement by government departments and civil defense contractors. In some instances, as little as 1% of contractor's payments can be accounted for, and his office is currently handling 57 cases of criminal fraud. So, in my book at least, this guy is a hero.

Let's see what the administration thinks about him..

In 2006 they tried to shut his office down entirely.

Source
US Vote Saves Iraq Audit Agency
The US Senate has voted to extend the lifespan of the US government agency that has exposed reconstruction corruption in Iraq.

The vote is an attempt to reverse an earlier law that said the office should close by 2007.

The Senate vote, which comes soon after the Democrats gained control of both the Senate and House of Representatives in mid-term elections, gained support from both parties.

The move to prolong the office's existence was linked to a bill on military construction spending.

In May 2007, they started an investigation into his office based on an "anonymous complaint".

Source
In May, the White House confirmed that Bowen's office, whose revelations of waste and corruption in Iraq have repeatedly embarrassed the Bush administration, was being investigated by the President's Council on Integrity and Efficiency after complaints from former employees. The executive branch organization was created to investigate allegations of misconduct by inspectors general at federal agencies.

At the time, the White House rejected suggestions the integrity inquiry was an act of retribution against Bowen, with then-press secretary Tony Snow saying the council was "an independent investigative organization" that did not directly follow the White House's direction.

That investigation, triggered by a lengthy anonymous complaint filed by former staff members, focused on a number of fraud and abuse allegations, as well as descriptions of possible workplace violations, including sexual harassment. It included charges that Bowen's office overstated the amount of savings that it generated in order to justify a budget request and that money was wasted on the book project.

December 2007...

Source
US Iraq fraud office investigated
Much US cash for reconstruction in Iraq has gone astray
The office which investigates cases of waste and fraud surrounding reconstruction efforts in Iraq is being investigated itself, reports say.

Stuart Bowen, special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, and his team are the focus of four probes, among them one by the FBI, US media reports.

Source
WASHINGTON — The FBI is investigating the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, Justice Department officials said, following allegations of misconduct from former employees.

The investigation of Stuart Bowen involves possible electronic tampering, including alleged efforts by the inspector general to go through e-mails of employees in his office, two officials close to the inquiry said Thursday. It is being handled by the FBI's Washington field office, according to law enforcement officials, who like the first officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

So there are currently FOUR government agencies investigating the Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction on the basis of an anonymous complaint filed by former employees. You can bet they've crawled right up his ass with a flashlight and the best they can come up with is that he wanted to look at employees emails (completely legal as I understand it) and he may have overspent on a booklet he made to promote his office... And for this they've convened a Grand Jury.

This is your government at work folks. Selling this and the next generation into debt and screwing over anyone who interferes with their profits. I wonder if poor Stuart Bowen has gotten the message yet?

US Vote Saves Iraq Audit Agency

Millions Missing from Iraq Fund

US - Iraqi Contract "In Disarray"

US Money is Squandered in Iraq

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Great thread - starred & flagged.

I'll be writing more after tonights BBC programme which I linked here.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. The first thing McCain will do in office is exempt Bush from prosecution for any of his wrongs. I would be that deal has already been cut. Mark my words.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Starred and flagged. The first thing McCain will do in office is exempt Bush from prosecution for any of his wrongs. I would be that deal has already been cut. Mark my words.

I saw a news item this week, either on network TV or a vid clip on the net where a bill recently approved by congress and on its way to Bush for his siggy ( I think) had a clause in it exonerating him of anything done while president. Wish I could remember where I saw that!

Oh and by the way....WOT to me means Wide Open Throttle. I like muscle cars and have two of em ;D

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Hugues de Payens]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
What? You mean another government program has become a cash cow for criminals by fraud? That's terrible!

I have a great idea: let's put them in charge of our health care too! I wonder how much money "they" can blow on that?

top topics

join