It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you doing to help the poor this Xmas

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
In a world with so much wealth and technology why does poverty still exist, why is it banks can make billions whilst people starve to death. The money men control all of this, its no accident that people are poor or there is poverty the whole thing is controlled and manipulated.

So what are you as an individual doing to help such people at this time of the year do you make any effort to help those who require assistance. Whilst we are all stuffing ourselves till we are are sick does anyone give a thought or care for such people.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, HappyKwannza~~~
whatever you celebrate, may it be a happy & healthy one!!
You have a good post. Yes, I try to help those in need over the holidays, my office has a food drive-non-perishable that get alot of response. A couple of years ago I got this HUGE bag of goodies from Burger King (I know, its fast food, but ez to do) & drove around handing out burgers, coffee, & sodas to the homeless people in our town (theres ALOT, being a coastal town & warm climate), then ran out of that & went & made sanwiches & did it the next day. All were appreciated. This year I'm donating cat & dog food to the animal shelters (we have 3) & have sent donations to various animal protection & animal rehab charities, because not only do the poor & elderly need help, so does the overpopulation of domestic animals as well as the wild animals whose habitat is in danger of being gone completely due to money-hungry sob's that have to build something on every square inch of free land. So, I tend to spread it around. If I could donate to everything I surely would! And I never forget the Salvation Army bell ringer--I've even thrown in a check.
~*~Peace~*~akasha

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Oh yeah-- I forgot to mention that every year I round up all the clothes, household items that haven't been used in the past year & donate it all to The Womens Crisis Center--they use everything to help out abused, homeless women & children that have nowhere to go. Used to give it to Goodwill but they just turn around & sell it in their store. At the Crisis Center, they GIVE the items to the women in need. I've found clothes in my closet with the tags still on them that I forgot about & I send those, along with brand new shoes worn only once or twice. If I haven't worn it or used it in a year, out it goes!! I used to be somewhat of a packrat, saving stuff I don't need, so this not only helps people in need, it keeps my packrat-ism in check!!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Our company supports two children's homes for orphans and each employee is asked to volunteer to buy one child a present to put under the tree. I couldn't stand the look on the faces of the children in the pictures as they all looked so needy so I bought presents for half a dozen of them. I also have a homeless person who I support every day all year round (not just during the festive season) by letting him do easy odd-jobs and he gets a bit of money and a meal from me every day. I know its not alot and I wish I could do more but I am not in a financial position to do so. However, I never ever neglect to smile at the various homeless people who beg around our city and maybe just spend 5 minutes listening to what they have to say - you'll be surprised how this makes them feel just a little more human. Also, all my old clothes and shoes go to a woman who collects for a home for mothers and children with AIDS.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I bought a bum a delicious pie

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm a volunteer who helps collect toys ( I buy some too) for Toys for Tots and the Angel Tree. As long as the children get the toys and gifts they need for Christmas then we've done good. The sad thing is some of those parents will not get an education and a job,but still have kids. We've also sent gift bags to Iraq for the soldiers who will be staying over there for the holidays. Anyone who wants to help out a poor family can contact Salvation Army, and when you see them standing outside your stores ringing that bell, pitch in some money even if it's a little change. It will change a childs life.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
i'm reconfiguring the downstair 1/2 bath to make it into a full bath,
the old 4' vanity sink got a new home, and i converted the entry way closet ~behind that monster 4' vanity sink~ into a 31"X40" shower stall.

happy new year to this poor person.

as far as the destitute, i have 4 large 30 gallon lawn bags of aluminum cans they are welcome to.

ra-pa--pa-pum, ra-pa-pa-pum........

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Our family gives food to a collector in our area for needy families. We have done this for several years at Christmas time.

We also support local charities by shopping at second hand stores, I especially love vintage and retro clothing and I find great stuff at a price that does not break the bank. I am happy to wear good, clean recycled clothing and my friends always ask me about my latest acquisition.

I am always well dressed for the corporate environment in which I earn a living.

I support charities all year round by giving back as well. We donate anything IN GOOD CONDITION that can be sold by these second hand stores...they are welcome to it.

It is especially important to remember those in our society who do it tougher than us. It is easy to give...do not wait for Christmas...let it be a regular habit

Season's Greetings to all of you and your loved ones
res

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Merry Christmas, Happy Yuletide, Happy Hanukah or whatever the case may be...

Well, I personally have tried to donate what I could to some of the charities. The problem with that is I always have that lingering question in the back of my mind, "Is it getting to the place it's supposed to?"

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I do meals on wheels with my grandma mainly because they are always in need of volunteers. Used to volunteer at the hospital but the staff treats you like crap.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I take a child's name off the Angel Tree at my Credit Union and get them whatever is on the tag. I spend at least as much as I would on a member of my family. I also buy the bags of groceries that Super 1 sells that are delivered to the local food bank. They have two different bags; one sells for 5.00 and one sells for 10.00. I try to buy at least one a week. I also take any spare produce I have from my garden to the senior center in the summer. I try to give year round not just at Christmas.

Happy Holidays to all.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
i will be donating over 6 years of clothing, at least 100+ shirts, jeans, shoes, etc. Hopefully, some of the less fortunate will benefit from my great sense of style

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
As little as possible so they will see the light.

The first pie I give is the closer they come to my ownership.

Their moral mind now speaks I owe somebody, yet they failed to see the one that needed it the most, themselves.

Sacrificing without Sacrifice is SACRAFICIAL. oR ARTIFICIAL.

Sacrifice your life for a week then he may weep but until then your just (not his) clever kin.

You gave him a moments rest from his certain disquise. We are all actors on this stage of life.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard

care to explain?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

Originally posted by menguard

care to explain?

The first pie I give is the closer they come to my ownership.

Their moral mind now speaks I owe somebody, yet they failed to see the one that needed it the most, themselves.

Sacrificing without Sacrifice is SACRAFICIAL. oR ARTIFICIAL.

Sacrifice your life for a week then he may weep but until then your just (not his) clever kin.

You gave him a moments rest from his certain disquise. We are all actors on this stage of life.

Everything we give is a sign of delight, we give him or her reflections walking bye, so does he see himself without eyes, would I cry to those that gave up to be not forgotten. He lives through our eyes. How humbling is that.

He sees a reflection of us in him and we see a reflection of ourselves in him trying to survive. The question is who is closer to the truth. Neither.

'We all live for our delight'.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
to clarify, I was actually expecting an explanation, not a poem. Sorry for the confusion, and I'm looking forward to your reply.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I don't think helping the poor for a few days out of the year is a tremendously noble thing to do. Instead, what I'm doing is grinding away at my own job, keeping the economy chugging along, and trying to keep myself from becoming poor.

Otherwise, I think it's more important to try and acknowledge people who are depressed or lost in their lives, regardless of their financial situation. Some people are not bothered by being poor, while others are disturbed and saddened even though they seem to be "successful" and have a lot of material possessions.

But it's a full-year thing, not just for the holidays.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I hope you would give a pie to a king or queen, then is the reply.

(We are all equal) equal to have the same delights.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I pray that our Father in Heaven work through many this Christmas season to help those less fortunate than them. May Father's light shine through them. Amen.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I believe the best thing you can do if you can't help financially is to simply take the time to speak to those that have a lesser degree of living than say you/me. To look someone that has nothing in the eye and smile and say a simple "hi" can simply encourage their own self worth. I believe this "spirit" should be universal and never ending, not just for times when the christmas trees come out.

Z

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join