It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Installs High-Energy Laser On Laser Gunship Aircraft

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
A chemical laser needs a constant supply of chemicals to constantly make a laser beam, no matter how long or short the laser burst is. A huge difference between the two.

A human being also needs a constant supply of glucose(C6H12O6) and other chemicals such as adenosine triphosphate (C10H16N5O13P3) to pretty much do anything... maybe we are chemical weapons, too? After all we do cause a lot of destruction...

reply to post by deezee

Excellent argument

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
12,000 lb isnt that heavy, thats about the weight tank gun.
The laser they are using is a 2 part system.

There is another type of chemical laser that was developed by the russians in the 80's. It was a a 2 part system as well except that the chemicals are pumped under pressure into a turbine, where they are "combusted". The exhaust consists of gasses and light of a coherent frequency.
It was originaly developed for use as a space based weapon, and the US bought the designs to it in the early 90's when the russian federation was strapped for cash. Dont really knpow what became of it.
Its interesting that there are two different programs going that have overlapping roles.
I saw the ABL being flown into one the the airbases around San Bernadino, in 2004. I was riding my motorcycle in the hills down there, we had just arrived and it was about 6:30am when it flew over at about 500'.
Its not coming along quite as fast as hoped for.
I read an article a couple of months ago that talked about a vehicle mounted solid state infra-red laser that is well along in development.
They interviewed someone on the project and he said it was alot like that scene in War of the Worlds when the martians are just vaporizing stuff.
WAAAAAY back in 1979 or 1980 there were clips played on the evening news of a laser shooting down drones and missles, then you heard nothing about it. About the same year there were news reports about microwave rifles, and they showed tape of one burning a hole in a manequin.
Never heard anything about it again.
I have seen a test plate from weapons grade laser. It was a piece of amor plate about 3/4" thick it had a 5/8"-11/16" hole burned through it. I was told it was from a fairly close distance(more than several feet), but it was still a very impressive display for when it was shown to me, about 20 years ago.
DOE patented an electron beam weapon last year..

On a side note, I was thinking what if you used a laser to "open" a path through the air for a charged particle beam.

Dunno

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Good information thanks.
I rember some of those things from the late seveties also. By any chance do you have a link for that patent on the projected energy weapon the DOE has?
And why would the DOE patent a weapon?

[edit on 15-12-2007 by RedGolem]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
500,000 Vaccines sent to Iraq many with live HIV, Depleted U tipped ammo and hot phosphorus cluster bombs dropped over villages instead of runways, hummers w/ microwave dish weapon, new improved napalm, are these WMD ?

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by vanosman
500,000 Vaccines sent to Iraq many with live HIV, Depleted U tipped ammo and hot phosphorus cluster bombs dropped over villages instead of runways, hummers w/ microwave dish weapon, new improved napalm, are these WMD ?

Stick to the topic at hand please...

[Mod Edit: Personal attack removed. - Jak]

[edit on 16/12/07 by JAK]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join