It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do so many people double post at the start of a thread?

page: 1

join
share:
Wig

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I find it very annoying, people start a thread, with some external quote. Then they reply to their own thread with their comments. So they start a thread effectively with a double post.

As I understand it double posts (in the sense of two posts from the same user one after the other) are against forum rules. You are supposed to edit the previous post not start another.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Are you speaking of threads started in the News forums by chance?

If so, then I think you'll find that's How the /News threads are to be started.

Headline
Source Link

Followed by the user's comments or "take" on the subject.

Once submitted, the headline, link, and quote comprise the opening post while the user's comments are used to create the followup... their "take" on the subject

Hope this helps.

Wig

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I don't know what you mean by "news forums" it occurs all over ATS i.e. in UFO, Skunk works, and any other board you care to mention.

Yes what you describe is what I mean. Are people not allowed to put their thoughts and comments into the opening post?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wig
I don't know what you mean by "news forums" it occurs all over ATS i.e. in UFO, Skunk works, and any other board you care to mention.

That could be a result of threads started in one of the Breaking News forums but were later moved to one which was deemed more appropriate.

Here's an example of one started in Breaking Alternative News but was later moved to Space Exploration.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You'll notice that the opening post contains the headline, source link, and quote from the article. The "followup" post contains the user's comments or "take" on the subject.

If that "format" is what you're speaking of then it's most likely submissions that were moved to more relevant forums. Otherwise, it could also be that a user starts a thread, it gets no responses, so they return to "flesh it out" a bit or to add additional content with the hope of inspiring responses from fellow members.

I think the above two scenarios probably account for the vast majority of threads you may be referring to, but if you see one that obviously doesn't fit either one, there's always the "Alert" button or the Complain/Suggestion features to bring it to our attention.

I hope this helps.

Wig

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Yes, I guess that does explain it.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wig

double posts (in the sense of two posts from the same user one after the other) are against forum rules.

Where is that? I must have missed it. I double post all the time. If I didn't, most of my threads would never have any replies...

Wig

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I read it somewhere, once.

I am talking about a 2nd post whilst the edit function on the 1st is still visible. It annoys me when people do this within minutes of the first post appearing.

Fair enough - I didn't realise that the breaking news board actually does this automatically, and is beyond the users control. I still find the format annoying. But I will no longer be cursing the user when I see this in future.

[edit on 14/12/2007 by Wig]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Where is that? I must have missed it. I double post all the time. If I didn't, most of my threads would never have any replies...

Ah.. good tip. I shall try this with the half-dead threads I seem to churn out.

new topics

top topics

join