It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barrier reef three decades from death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   

SOARING carbon emissions could cause the death of the Great Barrier Reef in as little as three decades, says a group of eminent environmental scientists.

source

This is such a magnificent reef and would be such a great loss for this to be destroyed.

"Most coral reefs will not cope with the rising temperatures in the Earth's atmosphere," Professor Hoegh-Guldberg said. "If you look at the current rate of emissions rising in the atmosphere they're rising at such a rate now that we're at the upper end of the scenario.

"If current carbon dioxide emission trends continue, then even the most conservative estimates predict global temperature increases of two degrees or more by the end of the century.

"One more degree warmer and we have coral bleaching and it's when corals gets sick. Two degrees of warming and you're at the threshold where coral will die in great numbers and become very rare."

ref above

If you are not fortunate enough to have scuba dived or snorkled there, some of these vids will give you an idea of the beauty that is threatened.

www.youtube.com...

Well, I haven't been up in 3 years.

I just showed my Son the vid of the GBR and he was up there this year. He said, it doesn't look like that anymore. It is dying.

Very very sad!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
As everything in this world, life and death, change and adaptation happen and while it is popular(read media hype) now to blame it on human activity, a quick look at the history of earth will show MANY huge changes in climate, and the critters that did/didnt make it. The GBR, if it dies off, will be re-born in a few 10,000 years...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oneshot1
As everything in this world, life and death, change and adaptation happen and while it is popular(read media hype) now to blame it on human activity, a quick look at the history of earth will show MANY huge changes in climate, and the critters that did/didnt make it. The GBR, if it dies off, will be re-born in a few 10,000 years...

I appreciate your thoughts here and some of it, I can relate to.

I just can't accept the loss of GBR as 'change'... especially when it can be prevented, even corrected.

Perhaps it can't be rejuvenated now? but it is a terrible loss. If there is someway to avoid it's death, then I would hope everyone, at least those in AUST to do whatever they could to prevent it from happening.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Hey, all is not doom and gloom! Check this out:
Reef Revival Via Voltage

A simple and low-tech way to rehabilitate dying reefs.

Too bad that thread died without any response. People will only respond to bad news it seems...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I just posted on your thread. It looks very promising indeed!

I didn't see this so thanks for the link!

new topics

top topics

join