It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians Turning to The Euro

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Prehaps like the Europeans. if needed we can make our own currency. One country I believe Canada would have it in her best wishes.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
They may want to stop using US currency. But it wont stop them from sticking their hand out when receiving US Aide.

And what aid would that be?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by Bunch

who needs to invade the US these days?
it seems to be destroying its self from the inside out

dont know how americans seem to finance their lives when their goverment seems to printing bills that are going into Minus 24/7 on the world stage

Since 2002 the US Dollar has declined almost 25% .... This is why we have a credit crisis, no one can afford to live with a weaker dollar and no increase of income.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

They may want to stop using US currency. But it wont stop them from sticking their hand out when receiving US Aide.

And what aid would that be?

The US did aid and help fund Russia's energy sector.. though you could say they only did it because they expected to exploit the hell out of it.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Just an example:

www.fpif.org...

For its part, USAID, which provided Russia with $95.7 million in economic aid in 1997 and another $129.1 million estimated for 1998, is requesting from Congress $225.4 million in economic aid for Russia in 1999.

www.cdi.org...

U.S. slashes aid to Russia, Ukraine
February 3, 2003

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration has slashed the amount of aid
Russia and the countries of the former Soviet Union will receive under the
Freedom Support Act, according to budget documents released Monday.

The administration is asking Congress for $576 million for 12 countries in
fiscal year 2004, a 24 percent cut from the $755 million it requested for the
current year ending Sept. 30.

The allocation for Russia falls to $73 million from $148 million and
Ukraine's to $94 million from $155 million.

The reduction for Ukraine is especially steep because of U.S. displeasure
with President Leonid Kuchma, whom Washington suspects of selling an air
defense system to Iraq.

I have no idea if they are receiving aid *now*

I guess I should have made more of a generalized statement of any country receiving aid from the US

[edit on 14-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I guess I should have made more of a generalized statement of any country receiving aid from the US

Would also help if you could post what percentage, if any, of US aid is not tied.

is aid ever given that doesn't benefit the giver just as much if not more than the receiver?

I think it's a bit naieve to believe any country gives money to another as a simple gift, but then I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to government motivations.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

I dont have those stats sorry.

And "Aid" doesnt necessarily mean "free gift". Aid still has to be repaid in many cases. For example, I receive Student Aid for school....but I have to pay it back...it isnt free.

Aid means "To help or furnish with help, support, or relief"

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Which kind of begs the question if AID is the right word to use to describe the current system of governments 'giving' money to each other, which more often than not is simply government giving its citizens' tax dollars/pounds/euros/rubles to its corporate benefactors, via a third party overseas.

Of course, it feels good to believe that one's government is helping, assisting, supporting the odd poorer country

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If you separate misplaced National Pride from this issue, there is really no need for the US posters to get hysterical about all this. In fact there are many positive arguments for having a realistically valued, adaptable currency which is free of historical baggage and outdated expectations. "Sound as a pound", "As safe as The Bank of England" and "Sterling" were all once common mantras. We are entering an era when Currencies will be picked up and dropped with a regularity which would have once been considerd impossible. With enlightened and relevant economic and fiscal policies, this shift could be a blessing for the US.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Once the dollar is dead
The Amero will emerge

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Won't this strengthen the US export? Goods from the US will be cheap already.
China is increasing their prices now due to the weakening dollar, making imported chinese products higher than before.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Maybe the US will be an exporting nation again, that is what they want perhaps. But manufacturing for a more affluent asia and europe , the roles will reverse in effect . The world will be consumers of USA's cheap products produced by cheap labor. Maybe why they want an open border to increase immigration and reduce wage demands. And the US could never climb out of such a state of impoverization because of the huge debt it owes.

[edit on 15-12-2007 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I not surprised, Cause the Russian Ruble is worthless compare to any other currency.

1 Russian ruble = 0.0279613852 Euros
1 Russian ruble = 0.040695 U.S. dollars

[edit on 12/15/07 by Files]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join