It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot spot could be contributing factor to Arctic island's record melt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I am not sure what or who is the cause for the earth continuing to get warmer. Some scientists believe it is a normal thing that happens every so often, and some believe the same , but add the effects that nman has had his hand in the adbrupt increase and of the planets recordable temp fluctuations.

Here is an article I just stumbled across, and for the mind set that I have with this issue, it is probably the most exceptable for me as a critical thinker , I personally the earth is trying her best to continue what she has always done, "Evolve" and that requires transitions of time.

“The behavior of the great ice sheets is an important barometer of global climate change,” said lead scientist Ralph von Frese of Ohio State University. “However, to effectively separate and quantify human impacts on climate change, we must understand the natural impacts too.”

Source:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

We as humans do tend to get our undies in a bunch when there is possible global devistation involved, and that is before we get all of the facts, but it is a serious and worthy issue of investigation and analization, but let's get all the proof of the pudding before we disclose or except one explanation.

"What are some of your thought's on "Global Warming" being a natural and never before experienced by technological society as we know it today?"

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
If its natural, then we're in deep. Who knows how long it could last, and how bad it could get. Perhaps its happened many times before. The earliest civilization, in the grand scheme of things, are not that old. The profound impact that heating may have had on earth, and indeed the entire solar system in the past could have bad ramifications. Real bad - if nature is taking its course.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Maybe I'm just a total movie geek but I see that pic in the story and the first thing that comes to mind is that it is the eviscerator. Who can name what movie that is from? :-)

Looking at the SST images for a while I've wondered if there was something going on near Greenland. There so often seemed to be a large plume of warm water in the area.

Dae

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I think the article is only making reference to the ice stream and the magma hot spot underneath. The ice streams have always been there and scientists have wondered why, now they may know.

This is a good article and good OP thread because its balanced, including man-made climate change mixed in with natures. The possibility that man is effecting climate change is huge but at the same time Earth is also doing its own thing with the climate.

We need to figure out different ways to live on this planet, our current way of life is not sustainable or healthy for us or our planet. If our planet is changing we need to adapt and our lifestyles have no room for this adaptation, one failure in our system will adversely affect all others costing us dearly with human life.

I personally only hold out hope via technology, alternative energy sources. But really we need a complete shake down of our lifestyles, corporations need to be slapped until they are manageable and exist for humans not just profit. Banks need to be made non-profit. Our work needs to be redesigned, a single mother who helps out in her community should not be poor or seen as a leech but as valued member of society. No one should be working 40+ hours a week! We are intelligent creatures with everything we could possible need to make our stay on this planet successful - its only our rules of conduct in life that create all these problems we face - unnecessary rules some old men made up years ago!

I wish us all luck and pray that someone better than me can save us.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

there is a theory out there in which the Earth itself is in a slow motion
Decompression... from some 4 billion years ago when the Earth was
being impacted by all those asteroids, comets, meteors (many of which had complex hydocarbons)...the Earth itself is slowly expanding at about the rate that the continental drift is widening.

this hot spot idea was spoken of about Greenland, it might be that the scientist was reading some replys here on ATS to come up with this similar idea for this other Arctic Islands melting-malady

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I guess my thoughts were kind of going towards a story that an old man once told me of how he managed to save 100's of dollars by not having to cook his meals with the flame from the burner, but rather sat a can of soup over the pilot lite hole when he went to work, and by the time he got home, it would be perfectly cooked while unopened.

With that said, "Couldn't the earth be holding residule heat from so many eon's of basking in the sun as well?"

Just a pondering, but could be quite credible if implications are applied.

What do you guy's and Gal's think, "Possible or Impossible?"

new topics

top topics

join