It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The smoke from the Kangaroo Island Fires is so bad!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The fires are bad, out of control for the last week with no cool weather on the horizon. Poor Koalas! One of the largest populations of Koalas there, so very bad for them! Oh and other wildlife!

But, the smoke has hit the coast now. It is so thick on the horizon so haven't gone out in the boat to go fishing, just as well cos the smoke wouldn't be good to breathe in.

the other day, a friend asked me if I could see the smoke, at that stage I couldn't but today I can not only see it, I can smell it.

OH hope we get some rain !!!

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
well not that anyone is really interested but thought I would update it with some good news!!

I can go out on the boat tommorrow!!!

oh no thats not the good news...

THE KANGAROO Island fires, which have been burning since last Thursday, have been declared as contained.

Just before 8:00 pm last night the SA Country Fire Service (CFS) confirmed all four fires on Kangaroo Island are no longer at risk levels after burning a total of nearly 90,000 hectares.

“It is a great milestone to have the Kangaroo Island fires contained”, said Rob Sandford, CFS State Coordinator.

source

The ELVIS Air Crane flew over my home yesterday!!

I was waving too... LOL

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Good news, i hadnt really noticed the smoke, but i work night shift so.....

Glad its contained, plus we got some decent rain last night too which is cool coz my yard was starting to look pretty crappy.
Because of the water restrictions we've been keeping buckets in the shower and using that water to keep the plants alive.

I'll stop waffling now.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I am down South right on the beach so the smoke was really strong.

As for the water restrictions, pffft don't get me started!!

Bugga all rain near me, but I did hope KI got some of it!

Oh did you hear about the guy that died over the water restrictions?

lol some guy said something to him about him watering his garden when he shouldn't have been, well they fought and the next minute, the old man died....

farout!

here is the story:
www.iht.com...

The alleged victim reportedly sprayed the younger man with the hose. Police said the younger man responded by punching and pushing the older man to the ground and kicking him.

An off-duty police officer intervened and arrested the younger man, the statement said. The older man was taken by ambulance to hospital but died soon after, police said. His name was not released.

The alleged victim was complying with Sydney's water restrictions when he was killed. Watering with hand-held hoses is allowed on Wednesdays and Sundays before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.

OMG we have to be on guard even when we are doing the right thing!!

[edit on 15-12-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

I can believe it, one of our neighbours dobbed a guy in down the street for watering his lawn 1/2 an hour outside of the allowed time.
$500 fine, i'd rather let my lawn die than give the government $500 bucks.

Funny thing is the neighbour who dobbed the guy in has had a lot of dog poo's on his front lawn ever since.

(who me, never).

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
Funny thing is the neighbour who dobbed the guy in has had a lot of dog poo's on his front lawn ever since.

(who me, never).

LMAO

Well, I reckon last week I watered the garden on the wrong day, got it mixed up. Yanno, odd/even stuff. Never mind, but I half expected someone to knock at the door and say something... so I just peaked out the window the whole time.

People are getting really petty over it...

ah well... gives the nosey pensioners something to do I guess?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Not good news about the fire hope you all stay safe

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Some good might come out of this. Isn't the koala population over the viable limit? That's what I read a while ago.

Also, is smoked koala meat any tasty?

[edit on 16-12-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Some good might come out of this. Isn't the koala population over the viable limit? That's what I read a while ago.

Yes that is true, but I could think of better ways to cull them!
Horrible way to go. I saw a pic in the local paper with a koalo on the road going right up to one of the CFS crew. Sad.

KI is such a lovely Island. Only prolly a 1/4 of the Island is developed, the rest is pretty much natural.

Also, is smoked koala meat any tasty?

Um...not sure about that one.

The KI fires are contained now, but all week they were burning.

I am pretty sure the fires started from natural causes.

Yesterday, cops just caught a 44 yo woman in the hills, a firebug... umbelievable really... she has started so many fires. I just can't relate to the mind of a firebug??

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Yes she has been arrested for starting 47 fires. A mother of 2 children.
Thats just nuts. Wouldnt she think of the possibility that any of those fires she has lit have the chance of killing people, children or people with children like herself.
I hope they throw away the key.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
47 FIRES????

OMG I knew it was a lot but not that much!!

I was living in the hills last year and I tell ya, nearly every week we had a ruddy fire.

They even started using speed cams to automatically take rego numbers of cars that were in certain areas? And ya know the locals... I was working in Woodside at the time, they were all raving about it.

Glad they got her!

*oh I am sure when I read it she had FIVE kids!

WTF???

[edit on 16-12-2007 by Thurisaz]

top topics

join