It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urantia- what do you think?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So, this is my first thread, even though i have tooled around here for a couple years, so bear with me.

I was introduced to a book, the Urantia Book, my sophmore year in college when most all humans end up searching for a meaning in this existence. I would spend days in the occult and "other" sections of a very large college library in the midwest and spend whole days reading crowley, Blavatsky, as well as others who have made a name for themselves in existential thought and philosophy. In one of my library journeys i noticed a very large blue book that i had not seen there before. It boasted "The Urantia Book" In big white letters with a filled in circle inside a not filled in circle. Being a voracious reader i bit and took it home. What ensued was a debate between my friends to the authenticity of the book. Some read the first page and were like "THIS IS IT"!!! Others were like this is the biggest crap i have ever read.

I for one have been on the fence for years until i read posts by sleeper and OnTheDeck that paralled ideas in the book. Their experiences with the E.T.'s, exspecially sleeper's, are very similar and it is amazing to me.

For those of you who do not know about it, the book is supposedly written by divine beings, (ET's?), who used a medium, a man, to communicate the book to a special team of PHD's who were there to disprove it but, all of them ended up being hardcore belivers and founders of theUrantia foundation.

I first though, scientology mumbojumbo, but, the book is completely free to read online and is run by a non for profit org.

So I would like to do what the ATS people do and figure out what the hell is this thing? Are there any parallels that you see? Believers? Non-believers? Sleeper, what do you think?

CHECK IT OUT DUDES!!!!!!!! www.urantia.org

Oh yeah.... and thank you for checkin this out,,,,, if anybody does.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
2000 pages? Can you give me a quick summary as to what its about?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I have read through about 450 pages of it. While there are parts of it that are interesting, most of it seems a bit dry to me. As to whether it is legit, some parts of it have substance to it, other parts are very questionable.Strangely enough, someone stole it before I could complete it...

[edit on 13-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yeah. i have read about the same amount and actually find the content fascinating, although approached in a dry manner. The suprastructure and heirarchy of beings and universes is the most amazing part to me. The whole last third of the book, "The Life of Jesus", is probably the most dry part of it, since i am not religious, but still delivers nice insight to his life, if it was recorded by ETS.

3libras.

By the way. GREAT SONG BY PERFECT CIRCLE!!!! one of my favs. unfortunately you have to read it yourself, not all of it, just the interesting parts. the first section, if not the first page are fun and give a good insight to the rest of the book but, you still should do a little research. Trust me, once you start it will be hard to stop.

Have either of you ever heard of the ATS guy sleeper?????
Once you acclamate yourself with the book let me know if you see parallels in his experience with what "Milton" says to him

Thanks for responding fellas!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Oh yeah . I almost forgot. 3 Libras. It is very inticing to learn about how the book came about, that will get you interested in it enough to research.

Speaker of truth

Crazy stuff it was stolen from you. I somehow lost my copy six months ago. don't know what happened. I met once with a local guy that was part of the non for profit group and he told me that he has talked to many people that just happen upon it in unusual ways. So maybe somebody just happened upon our books and thought it was meant for them

or maybe not..... we should hunt them down and.....

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FremenBlueEyes
Yeah. i have read about the same amount and actually find the content fascinating, although approached in a dry manner. The suprastructure and heirarchy of beings and universes is the most amazing part to me. The whole last third of the book, "The Life of Jesus", is probably the most dry part of it, since i am not religious, but still delivers nice insight to his life, if it was recorded by ETS.

See, that was actually the part that I was licking my chops at getting the chance to read!!! Alas, someone stole the book from me before I ever made it that far, and I wasn't going to spend another 50 dollars to get a new one.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well, luckily its got a thorough Wikipedia page, Ill have a read of it now. Its boiling where I am, no patience for reading lengthy things sadly
Post my thoughts soon enough

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Speaker of truth

Crazy stuff it was stolen from you. I somehow lost my copy six months ago. don't know what happened. I met once with a local guy that was part of the non for profit group and he told me that he has talked to many people that just happen upon it in unusual ways. So maybe somebody just happened upon our books and thought it was meant for them

or maybe not..... we should hunt them down and.....

Strange... I just assume mine was stolen, maybe mine was just "misplaced" as well. Perhaps we read as much of it as we are intended to and then it moves on to someone else...

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 3_Libras

3Libras, it actually has its own website..

Urantia

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by 3_Libras

3Libras, it actually has its own website..

Urantia

Yeah, thats where I went to find out it was 2000 pages long, without an extensive summary. Wikipedia helps with that

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Yo Speakeroftruth

You don't need to buy a new one dude. It's free on their website

Now you can enjoy the life of jesus part. I read about half of the life of jesus and the most interesting part i thought was how jesus actually turned water into wine. It had to do with speeding up time in the space the water was. Pretty interesting concept. It also details a lot, and i mean a lot, of experiences jesus, or the creator son micheal, had that are not in the mainstrem bible. so go to the website and indulge. I will be waiting to hear your thoughts!!!! Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
oh yeah... how do i make those box things that have what other people said in them. I guess that would be called a quote box
silly me

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

oh yeah... how do i make those box things that have what other people said in them. I guess that would be called a quote box
silly me

When you are looking at someones message, there is a "quote" button in the top right hand corner, click on that and all is good

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
As for the summary on Wikipedia, I was mainly interested on its views regarding cosmology - which are interesting to say the least. Its hard to know what to make of it, as you cant really approve or disprove what its putting forward, but yeah fairly interesting stuff

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras
As for the summary on Wikipedia, I was mainly interested on its views regarding cosmology - which are interesting to say the least. Its hard to know what to make of it, as you cant really approve or disprove what its putting forward, but yeah fairly interesting stuff

Thanks for letting me know how to do that. It was right in front of me all the time. Where i come from we say "if it was a snake it would have bit you!"

in my experiences in life, and on this website, i find that nothing can be proved or disproved it is all up to the individual and the capability of "faith" that the person has. I'm not hear to prove the book, because i don't have enough faith in it for that, but just to see what other people think about it. Exspecially those that have had ET experiences where the being enlightens them to the universe on a higher level.

I think that is a good coralation to have in regards to et experince and the book.
have either of you checked out the sleeper guys thread???
www.abovetopsecret.com...

the blogs the most important thing to read.... takes about an hour and is well worth it if you are interested in this type of stuff.
Thoughts on the corallation??????

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
OHHHHHH! yeah i almost forgot. The cosmology. That is a very interesting part. We are in the superuniverse orvontron that with the other 6 superuniverse (dimensions maybe) revolving around the eternal universe of creation, Havona, comprises all of life in existence. Pretty cool stuff huh???

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The Urantia book is no nuttier than any other kind of religious book, and a lot more detailed than most. The only thing it doesn't have is a nice, big building for you to go into and pray. In fact, it doesn't suggest that any kind of supplication or prayer is necessary. It just lays out the facts, and whatever you want to do about it is up to you.

So in that way, it's got a lot more going for it than a lot of religious books. No religion is attached to it. Maybe in a few hundred years, though. The Urantians will have big churches and bake sales and the whole bit.

Stranger things have happened. Look at the Mormons.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
nohup... first.. great pic of bob. he's the man

actually they do have a prayer. a suggested prayer. it goes

thank you (divine being) for being

thank you for being in me

thank you for letting me be in you

thats it right there. the suggested prayer. pretty good one if you ask me.

but in your defense, it does detail in the book that a lot of higher beings have not just two hemispheres of the brain but three. the third being for strictally spiritual purposes. it says that those beings are in a constant state of prayer due to that hemisphere. nuts

this is great!!!!!!!

i do know a good amount about the book, not as a 100% beliver, but as a 100% obsessor of truth and finding it

lets keep it going.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
The only thing it doesn't have is a nice, big building for you to go into and pray.

Stranger things have happened. Look at the Mormons.

HA HA
that is awesome. yeah i do not care for organized religion either, they sure are nutty and murderous if you speak your mind about that too. i think i am safe here to do that..

yeah. those silly mormons. what was it that the southpark episode said...."DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Wow some pretty whack stuff. Like Nohup said, not any more or less so than other religious books, but definately more explanatory.

Even if is was made up, in a similar way as any other book (religious books included), it was masterfully made. And I only read the first few pages; I hate to read so much on a computer.

I think I'll find me a copy of this thing somewhere and read up. Nice job Freemen! BTW Dune was also a friggen sweet book, IMO ranks up there with Urantia and the Bible. Matter of fact, lets just make that into a religion.

Flagged, I think anyone who has not seen this should take a look.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join