It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A.U.S.D. take over....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
so i was wondering how many people were worried about the second largest school district in the country being taken over by Mayor Villaragosa.....
schools are failing all around us...
should we go down the slippery slope of non- traditional power structures...
on an exagerated tangent... is this feeding into neo-cons idea that schooling should be only availible for those that could afford it....
failing schools give people reason to demand school vouchers and the privatization of the system....
which is the best course of action.....

personally i think that we satnding on a very slippery slope.......

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Schooling should be only available to those who can afford it. Private individuals & businesses would surely offer scholarship programs for those qualified people who cant afford it, but just a simple question:

Why should a parent who pays tuition for their kids private school also be forced through property and other taxes to pay for schools that their children will never attend?

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

The percentage of people that can afford to pay for private school tuition is very small. Is it not the responsibility of our government to provide these types of services for the masses? Should an equally educated populace not be the gift that America gives the world? If we leave the schooling of our future citizenry up to private organizations, there is no telling where that will lead us….

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
There's a difference between schooling and a good education.

Learning anything should not cost.

The ultimate goal of teaching someone something is the hope of getting the maximum benefit out of that person for the things they've learned.

But, getting a good education does not mean it's good for the learner. We are forced to learn the things that the system wants us to learn, not what we need to learn.

If schools taught a few different subjects, for example, human behaviour and its consequences, perhaps the world might be a better place.

Clever children from poor families face being overtaken by less bright children from affluent homes, research suggests.

The findings are part of a study for the Sutton Trust which says UK social mobility has not improved since 1970.

It says rich children are catching up with poorer peers in developmental tests between ages three and five and will overtake them by the age of seven.

news.bbc.co.uk...

When you decide the education level of a person by the temporary financial gain you get from the student, then you have got a big long term problem.

I'm sure there are many people who have gone to Harvard or Oxford and have been outshone in their respective jobs by people who didn't attend colleges or Universities.

I never went to college or university. I was forced, by my father, to get a full time job at age 16. Now, I'm multi skilled. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Yet I feel I've had an immense education from life and living and the variety of jobs I've had.

Most of my working life has been cut sort on several occasions due to Englands many problems since the Thatcher years. I've had no choice but to swap and change my skills to suit the moment.

I've worked with cars, have helped build houses, run mainframe computer systems (ICL VME 3980 systems) been a motorcycle courier, plumber and now I own my own two small businesses, so success is what you make it, no matter your level of education.

Forrest Gump is a prime example

If the world was not so interested in teaching about financial gains or how ro control everyone else, I'm sure this topic would be a lot different, and so would our lives.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
KillerGreen-

Which section of the Constitution authorizes spending our money to educate other peoples kids?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
Schooling should be only available to those who can afford it. Private individuals & businesses would surely offer scholarship programs for those qualified people who cant afford it, but just a simple question:

Why should a parent who pays tuition for their kids private school also be forced through property and other taxes to pay for schools that their children will never attend?

Good point, however, then people start getting into rights etc and fair treatment. Its the same with the health service...

new topics

top topics

join