It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone's Beliefs on 2012

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I believe..if nothing happens to me..
I should be turning 23 in 2012

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I dont buy into it.........at all.
There has always been doom and gloom dates...they come and go and nothing happens. I dont recall ANY of these dates ever coming to pass.

[edit on 14-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
In twenty twelve, I believe that a lot of people will be embarrassed when 2013 shows up on time, with no stand out changes. I believe there will be a good deal of panic, and situations where people who built their year around the supposed end of the world will be stuck with whatever they do, whether it's trying to set up shop in a national forest, or selling everything they own or taking out a huge debt.
Doom theories particularly bother me due tot he trouble they cause with messing up some folks lives. The funny thing to me is that eventually the world will end, or there will be chaos of some kind, and all of the conspirators of the world will go "See! I told you!" despite having been wrong hundreds of times, and occasionally moving the date back by a year repeatedly when nothing happened.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Nobody knows what will happen from one second to the next, let alone 4 years from now.

Part of the excitement of life, is in not knowing. I suppose somebody somewhere could be correct in a doom and gloom prediction at some time, but I think that will be luck, just like winning the lottery. Somebody is going to hit it dead on at some point. The only loosers in this sort of lottery are the ones who let fear control their lives with all this crappola.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by oldbogus
You can scoff but you can't hide. My accumulated information on this subject (which could be subtitled, All Curves Lead to December
'12) include:

First quote:
Technology, population, speed of travel, food and materials production,
communications capabilities, computing power, the decrease in computer
size, amount of information known to humanity, and a gamut of other things,
are all increasing at an accelerating rate. That is, they are increasing,
and the rate at which they are increasing is increasing.

Some mathematicians plotted the asymptotic graphs of all of humanity's
technological developments and projected them out to the point where they
all, relatively simultaneously, hit infinity. The day that they arrived at
is December 21st, 2012. One projected date of "The Singularity." That's the
day that some say is when everything as we know it will...change. Drastically.

At sunrise on December 21, 2012 for the first time in 26,000 years the Sun
rises to conjunct the intersection of the Milky Way and the plane of the
ecliptic.

Charlie Green
Waiting for The Singularity in Texas Creek

Well that's Moore's law out of the window then since his law which has proved quite accurate states a doubling of computer power every 18 months. So by the end of 2012 we will see 6-7 fold increase. That's way way way off infinity!

As for the mayan calendar: they were astronomers and does it not seem reasonable that any counting system based on astronomy will be in synch with a specific astronomical event. In their case the clock re-starts when that intersection occurs and therefore no mystery to the Mayan date of 2012 then!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Exo
I think that 2007 is actually 2012. I do not think there will be destruction, rather a major shift in the world. I looked on wiki and no major astrological things are happening December 2012. but this year there are all sorts of things happening. I read that some pope fudged up the Gregorian calender and that it is 5 years off.

That is also what I believe except I believe it to be 2008. I was sitting one day, talking to someone, and started thinking about daylight savings time, leap year, and all that. And it dawned on me... 1 year=365 1/4 days...when was the last time you ever heard of them adding up all the 1/4 days. I added it up and we should be 4.something years ahead. So 2008 would technically be 2012. So maybe the pope just went on 365 and never considered adding those 1/4 days

IMHO, I don't believe it'll be catastrophe and death, but maybe an enlightenment. Universal awareness. A large amount of religions, including Christianity which is one of the top 3-4 religions of the world, believe their version of the Creator(s) will return.

(personal question/thought- How can they "return" if they're supposably everywhere already? lol)

I don't think it'll be a supernatural beings, just more wise and knowledgeable. Obviously they will have been around far far far longer than Humans have existed and had been watching as our planet evolved (maybe even kick started our increase of intelligence
). They could finally put an end to the "how we were created and why are we here?" debate argued on and on and on by religious fanatics.
but even if they do say they're the reason we are what we are, religious sects will just say they're demons or something trying to confuse you lol.

but anyway, no. 2012 is more than likely a scam to get people to try and buy more things to make life "better" before they kick the bucket. Media, governments, and religious leaders will lie to get what they want, what makes you think they wouldn't lie about this?

(another random thought-When the Pope gets transported he's behind 3" of bulletproof glass...oh yes, that's faith in action right there :| )

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I never believed in predictions for 2012 which came from mayan calender... but as all others on ATS I like to read about all the stuff that catches my eyes and which is related to 2012...

below are some:
Greenland's ice sheet melted nearly 19 billion tons more than the previous high mark, and the volume of Arctic sea ice at summer's end was half what it was just four years earlier, according to new NASA satellite data obtained. NASA climate scientist Jay Zwally said: "At this rate, the Arctic Ocean could be nearly ice-free at the end of summer by 2012, much faster than previous predictions."

More than 18 scientists told The AP that they were surprised by the level of ice melt this year.

"I don't pay much attention to one year ... but this year the change is so big, particularly in the Arctic sea ice, that you've got to stop and say, 'What is going on here?' You can't look away from what's happening here," said Waleed Abdalati, NASA's chief of cyrospheric sciences. "This is going to be a watershed year."

There are definately some climate changes that will result something during 2012, maybe near to this year... and thats what i think

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Looks like hollywood is also cashing on the 2012... movie I am legend
This movie will definately create more awareness about 2012...

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The only thing shown still more by 2012 is that humans are still off as of concerning correct absolute concepts of "Time". The mean equatorial year is 365.2524 days or so. The year precisely is not really known, because King Herod died probably between -3 to -6 B.C. so the year is actually anywhere between 2010 and 2013 as of now. That all means that the calendar is still off but closer since there is a Leap Day of a Leap Year, and even with atomic clocks, the Earth is not precise but has a wobble in its orbit so cycles of the year and of the second have to be added to since the calendar goes by the background of very far away stars. The only thing shown still by 2012 is that more humans (people) are still off but more aware (by there being more people who actually know) that any 'time' is not precise. This all nowadays is continually shown by ladies that usually are considered to never be on time, because gentlemen never really know what 'time' it really is, so ladies and gents never really know what time it is if there is 'love' in the air so to type.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
this date to me holds no importance. Not saying something might or might not happen. I am not changing my life for insurance of the imminent peril. I think many people just seriously (myself included) just need a catalyst in their life. I like the majority of all other earth inhabitants are not preparing. it is just a date. when the time comes and passes there will be a new date. Just my opinion, I dont know if it is going to happen or not, i do have a strong faith in God, and i guess if anything does happen he will have something to do with it and if we die we die. we dont have to worry about it, were dead. and if there are any TRULY "diehard" believers here on ATS, i want to know how big your stockpiles of gas masks, weapons, ammuntion, food, clothes and other disaster supplies are? if it is going to happen wouldnt it be prudent to prepare?

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Theres alot of people in here who believe 2012 is just another swimsuit-or-car calendar year. I was hoping more people who think something would happen then would chime in.
BTW, thanks for making this a hot thread

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
In my opinion ... nothing will happen. Another day like 31 december 1999 that will pass by. Oh P.S. there's going to be a big party in 2012
) Merry Xmas

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by runetang

It definitely talks about the rapture (of both the living and those that have preceded us). The only thing I'm curious about is the timing in regards to the tribulation (I'm 90% sure it will be a pretribulation) and the extent of who all will be in it (Children? All Christians? Those who don't have the ability to know Christ like the mentally handicapped?) A lot of people preach that everyone is going but I'm not so sure.

Runetang, I also dont put too much into revelation. Its too symbolic to understand

Before I was a Christian, I would refer to the Book of Revelation as "that acid trip Bible book." However, after doing some studying and research it's clear to me now. If there's something I can help with ask away!

Edit: Oh, and you can U2U me if you want so I don't hijack your thread (which seems to becoming a habit of this newbie
)

[edit on 12/13/2007 by AshleyD]

First of all the word rapture is not mentioned in the Bible! It is a word coined by The visions of Miss Margaret Macdonald (Scotland) in 1830 and popularised by John Darby.

People today claim that Paul was speaking about the rapture in I Thessalonians 4: verses 13-18 but he was not. He was speaking of the return of Christ. This is confirmed in I Corinthians 15: verses 51-58 and Revelations 10:7 & 11: 15-19.

People are sometimes too quick to believe everything that a preacher says. However, Paul clearly stated that at the last trump of God the dead in Christ will rise then those who are left will meet him in the air.

Read what else happens at the last trump of God and you will understand that there is no such thing as a rapture of the church. Pretrib, or mid trib!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by midnightrider07
Ashley: Right on, used to be more religious than i am now, know about the tribulation and the reign of Christ, guess i was thinking more on the lines of revelation, the angles and the plagues and lake of fire etc. Spot on

Oldbogus: i understand what your saying, but like all mathematical models, you can only estimate given certain information. realistically, it makes sense to me. I can see us coming to a new sense of understanding and societal coexistance, but if this was so, what would be the point of living? not to sound bleak, but if everything was perfect, what would we be?

Yeah, gotta watch out for those angles... especially the right angles and obtuse angles. Just messin with ya cuz it's fun...

Back on heading: I really doubt that day (Dec 12) won't have any real significance other than people that read too much into everything. (What? Here at ATS? noo!) There may be events in 2012, but I doubt any super-great catastrophe that ends the world as we know it. My $.02

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
What is it with you guys????

The new age already began more than 100 years ago with the industrial revolution and now continues with the information age. I dont know what some of you are waiting for, but the party has already started. While technology might be accelerating, shift in consciousness is subtle, slow and goes over hundreds of years.

The 2012 hype only serves to dissapoint and give alternative thinking, new age, etc. a bad name. "You see?" they will say, "Those whackos were wrong, because they are whackos".

Prophecy is meaningless because the mere act of prophecy changes the event. The future is never fixed...much less by an ancient calender.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
You ask for my beliefs?

Well it will just be another year that goes by.

I cant wait until 2012 either then maybe the forum will stop being littered with 2012 nonsense.

im going to bang my head on the wall for half an hour now.

goodbye

[edit on 14-12-2007 by OnTheFence]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'm not marketing anything.

I've done my research.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

It's the biblical "end times". Time marked as viewed from the stars, in which all the calendars of the world are based upon.

It's the time of great troubles for those based in the illusion of the phyical fleshly reality.

2012 is like a great giant puzzle. When you look at a each peiece on its own, you see nothing, but when you begin to put the puzzle together you start seeing the larger picture.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Firstly Midnightrider07, great thread, this is a really interesting subject. I have looked into this subject for about eighteen months now. Some of the theories presented by certain individuals are extremely compelling and disuading.

My first introduction to this subject was on a thread like this and it mentioned the year 2012, specifically to do with prophecy. I began to see a trend regarding various theories that tied into the subject of 2012.

The theories included the Terrance McKenna Timewave Zero, a fractal theory of the cycles of time, also theories regarding the mayan calendar system explained by Ian Xel Lungold with the evolution of consciousness. I have also looked into the work of Michael Tsarion for a more esoteric and semiotic meaning to the beliefs around 2012. There are many other theories and beliefs in relation to this subject matter that I have been able to peruse. Those mentioned above seem to be the more esoteric views.

I also looked into the theories regarding technological singularities and singularity in regards to the creation of AI. On a daily basis I to look at current events and try to contextualize them with the subject matter of 2012.

It does seem that the year 2012 is a nexus point of various strands of religious, economic, political and esoteric beliefs seem to be colliding. This is evident in relations to the push for a global government, realised partially yesterday by the signing of the new EU treaty.

I have not come to any conclusions about 2012, but I do think that mankind is on the cusp of a great change, sociologically, psychologically and politically. The proof of this is what is happening now in 2007 more and more people are questioning the status quo. This is a good thing as the puppet masters behind the scenes are only interested in their own agendas and not the benefit to all mankind.

In conclusion I am open minded in the meaning to this years significance the future of mankind

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
excuse my ignorance but how does the mayan calender work surely it had to end at some point or else they would still be there chipping away at it now, it seems every generation has a dooms date and after reading the paul (mcartney) is dead book i now know that you could make a conspiracy out of any useless facts and coincidence highlighted to a point where they outshine the obvious, personally 2012 is just another year its only significance seems to be this calender and everything else is based around it

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It is most likely when convergence will take place. The Singularity and all that. I think it will be an induced mass kundalini awakening, possibly through HAARP or just natural cycles. Depending on one's perception of reality, it can either be the end of the world or a brand new beginning. Or many other things. Either way the best option is to remain aware, "ride the wave" and whatnot.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join